some input on kifaru lost park parka please!

Blaw

WKR
Hey all I am looking for a good light down jacket that will keep me warm but I can pack away, it does not have to be camo!

I am looking for something I can wear when its -20c (-4f) I live in Calgary Alberta Canada and hunt basically at the base of the rockies....it gets cold.

Anyway wondering if anyone has used the lost park parka in similar conditions or has other suggestions?

My thought is use a puffy like that, and have a cabelas space saver rain jacket (it barely rains) and I should be covered from brisk sept mornings to cold novembers.

carter33

WKR
I have used the lost park parka down to -25F with a thick UA base layer under it and was warm, even sweaty when going on foot after some caribou. I did have carhart bibs over as well but was also using a snow machine. I think it would be warm enough for the temps your thinking of with just a decent base layer.

Don't own any puffy coats from the other often mentioned brands but from reading the puffy jacket shootout review here on rockslide it does sound like the LPP is considered the warmest. I'm sure some mountaineering brands have puffys just as warm if not warmer though as well.

twall13

WKR
I haven't tried the Kifaru Lost Park Parka but it isn't down (it's climashield Apex insulation) and will take up more space and weight than a down jacket of similar warmth. That said, everything I read says it's a bombproof, warm jacket that is still lightweight and somewhat packable. If you want a really lightweight puffy that compacts well this might not be the jacket for you. If you want a warm, synthetic puffy that can double as an outer layer the Lost Park is a good option. Perhaps others with actual experience with the jacket can shed more light on the details but that's my understanding.

First Lites new synthetic/down blend puffy might be another option to look at for extreme cold.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think i heard Ryan Avery say on a youtube video that the new firstlite puffy was actually warmer than the LPP, which is pretty dang warm to begin with.

The best part about the LPP is that it is your ultimate security blanket. If you're wet and cold and throw it on an hour later you'll be dry and warm. I own it and an Uncompaghre and between the two I have something for all temperature ranges. I had the FL sanctuary for a while and it wasn't nearly warm enough to justify it'e weight and bulk. Aron has also hinted at Lost Park Pants, so you may consider waiting if you don't need the parka right now.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Chamberlin is warmer than the LPP but its 7 oz heavier. And you aren't busting any brush in the Chamberlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I really like my LPP but I do not consider it light weight. It is very warm and as said above, it adds a level of security that you can’t get with down.

Personally, when it is that cold, I will use the lpp over a more user friendly puffy. However, they finally are selling one with a full zipper! Mine is the half zip, which I find annoying, and like mentioned, it takes up space in the pack. But it is a warm and functional SOB. And I agree with the others, it is typical kifaru quality and durability, so you can trust it.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Mine is the half zip, which I find annoying

I like the half zip. it makes me nostalgic for my old Starter jacket from childhood.

99887d7b6caf64e692caf9e08ed3bb15.jpg

I like the half zip. it makes me nostalgic for my old Starter jacket from childhood.

99887d7b6caf64e692caf9e08ed3bb15.jpg
HAHA!! Damn I had forgotten about Starter! They even banned Raiders starter jackets in my school as a kid, because some local gang was known to have those.

ianpadron

WKR
Love my LPP. I consider it one of the few clothing pieces I have that is invaluable. And I have 10 puffies...yikes!

Late season, that thing has saved my ass several times. If there is a better glassing jacket for mid to late season, I'm not aware of it.

I also prefer the pullover style to the full zip. Warmer and the kangaroo pocket has dual pockets for small items like phone, GPS, etc.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I tried the Lost Parka, but sent it back. The fit was weird to me and it was extremely loud. I wish the pull over had a side zipper and no cordura.

Maybe the full zip is a better fit.

Sverimerica- if you want to offload that 1/2 zip, let me know if it's a Med or Large. ;)
Haha thats the thing, I just cant get rid of it. So handy around the property when its cold. Thanks though

FlyGuy

WKR
I have one that I almost never use. It has to be ridiculously cold to break it out, and it only packs down to about the size a 20F sleeping bag (ok, its not really that big, but it isn't small). But, I'll never get rid of it. That thing is an oven when it's nasty out. Its like it has a built in heating element! If I were even thinking of doing any late season hunting in your part of the world it would be the next piece of kit.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have one I just got recently. It is as described, a bit loud but tough and warm. I wore it a couple days with wind chills around 0 and wind speeds around 20 and it kept the wind out without a shell. Its definitely the most windproof puffy I've tried. I think this puffy for extreme cold and the Kuiu Kenai for the rest of the time. The Kenai is the most breathable puffy I've tried. It definitely makes me a little braver when the weather sucks now having the LPP to throw in the pack.