Rain jacket ?'s

bwlacy

WKR
How important are pit zips to everyone? I find a lot more jackets without them than with them. Skre, First Lite, Sitka, etc... I getting ready to really look into some quality rain gear for back country hunting. Not sure if I want the Skre, First Lite vapor, Sitka Downpour, or just get the Cloudburst with the pit zips.

I love pit zips in rain gear and soft shell jackets. Once I've gone to them, I don't see my self ever going back. Opening them up really helps me not over heat as quickly.

things I like: pit zips (bigguns), large wrist openings for ventilation, mesh napoleon pockets for more ventilation.
nothing beats mechanical ventilation.

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I have the cloudburst set and I love it! I've put mine through the ringer living in western Washington and I'm very happy with it! And pit zips are awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
I really like pit zips since it rains a lot in western Washington and it isn't always cold when it rains. I got the KUIU chugach because First Lite didn't have pit zips in the old stormtight jackets. I have since bought the Seak stormtight from First Lite since it has the pit zips now. Like mentioned above once I got them on a rain jacket I don't think I could go back to no pit zips.

3forks

WKR
Light wieght packable rain gear will not have pit zips

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on what your idea of lightweight and packable is.

I've got the Sitka Dewpoint jacket and pants and consider it lightweight and packable (I'm an ounce counter) and it's got pit zips.

Dewpoint Jacket | Sitka Gear

I think the Dewpoint is versatile enough to justify packing because I can use it over my insulation as a wind layer. Also, it breathes well enough that with the pit zips, I can ventilate enough to not get overheated while hiking.

The Dewpoint isn't as quiet as some other jackets, but for me, the weight I save by not having to bring a non-water proof jacket to go over my insulation in addition to rain gear makes it what I choose to run.

I guess it depends on what your idea of lightweight and packable is.

I've got the Sitka Dewpoint jacket and pants and consider it lightweight and packable (I'm an ounce counter) and it's got pit zips.

Dewpoint Jacket | Sitka Gear

I think the Dewpoint is versatile enough to justify packing because I can use it over my insulation as a wind layer. Also, it breathes well enough that with the pit zips, I can ventilate enough to not get overheated while hiking.

The Dewpoint isn't as quiet as some other jackets, but for me, the weight I save by not having to bring a non-water proof jacket to go over my insulation in addition to rain gear makes it what I choose to run.

The dew point has really big pockets that morph into semi pit zips. so you can either use it as a pocket, or a pit zip, but not both in unison.
Its really a very clever design though.

3forks

WKR
Yeah, I thought about mentioning that but also thought since Sitka describes them as pit zips, it wouldn't be noteworthy.

Regardless, they work.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm in a rain jacket a lot and really don't care either way. Pit zips really don't cool me down all that much. I find myself stopping and taking off an underlayer to really cool down. But I am also fat and run hot.

Benjblt

WKR
I think pit zips ventilate far better than just having a breathable "waterproof" membrane. My opinion; it'd be better to have a very waterproof not-so-breathable rain jacket with pit zips then a rain jacket with very breathable membrane without them.

I think a lot depends on how long you will be in your rain gear. I think if you will be in it all day and hunting in it you will want the pit zips. If you just will be putting it on to ride out a quick rain hunkered down you will probably be fine without them.

LostArra

WKR
In case anyone is interested. STP has Marmot Pac Lite rain jacket (gray) for $119 with pit zips.

And Pre-Cip for $59

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
I'll probably end up with the Sitka Cloudburst. Small weight penalty over the Dewpoint but I like the looks of the jacket better. Now if only there was someplace around here to go try them on. I hate to just order stuff. I'll probably need a large but I'd like to try before I buy.

I'll probably end up with the Sitka Cloudburst. Small weight penalty over the Dewpoint but I like the looks of the jacket better. Now if only there was someplace around here to go try them on. I hate to just order stuff. I'll probably need a large but I'd like to try before I buy.

Where are you in west michigan. Jays has sitka and cabelas in grandville has sitka.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find the zips nice as any thing to dump heat and keep myself from getting clammy is a good thing 👍

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Where are you in west michigan. Jays has sitka and cabelas in grandville has sitka.

Just north of GR. Cabelas has mostly the White tail stuff when I'm in there. Haven't been up to Jays since last summer and then they didn't have much selection at all. Might have to make a run to Dundee. I'll call around first and see if anyone has any of the items that I might want to try on.

Just north of GR. Cabelas has mostly the White tail stuff when I'm in there. Haven't been up to Jays since last summer and then they didn't have much selection at all. Might have to make a run to Dundee. I'll call around first and see if anyone has any of the items that I might want to try on.

I was in Jays last week and they had both the whitetail stuff and they had some open country. Not sure if they have what you are looking for. They did not have the bigger sizes i need but i do think they have large and medium. Thats the Jays in clare. They have kenetrek too.