Rain wear - CO elk Hunt

fishstu

FNG
Another East Coast newbie to Elk hunting - I am planning a multi week DIY backpack CO archery Elk hunt starting August 23th. (I have hiked CO for several years and know how demanding the hiking is).

I have the lightest Rivers West Pioneer Rain Jacket and Pants and are thinking of using them as my 'it’s going to rain all day" rain gear. Planning have pit zips added to the jacket for ventilation.
What are people’s thoughts on Rivers West Pioneer Ran Jacket and Pants - would I be better of getting something else?

Also looking for advice on very light weight packable rain gear for just in case.

I will be posting a number of posts asking for feedback and advice - feel very fortunate to have found this site. Can’t wait to be huffing and puffing.

Many Thanks

I have no experience with the Rivers West Pioneer Rain Jacket, but looking on their site they advertise it as 1 pound 6.4 ounces. It also doesn't state what size it is. I can however compare to what my backpacking rain jacket is. I have the Kuiu Chugach jacket. It is a size medium and weighs 1 pound 1.5 ounces. That is a difference of roughly 5 ounces. To save 5 ounces by purchasing a new Kuiu Chugach NX you would have to spend $230. That seems quite steep. I don't know your budget either. I can't speak to the durability of the Rivers West, which is something I would like to know before a multi week trip. Getting a significant rip in it would not be good.

3forks

WKR
I get why some would choose not to pack rain gear, but I think you're rolling the dice.

I've been on some trips where it's rained for extended periods of time, and rain gear kept me comfortable when others were soaked after the DWR finish on their jackets and pants wasn't enough to keep them dry. Also, a quality rain jacket will breathe well enough that you can hike in it and stay dry.

I run Sitka gear and use the Cloudburst jacket and pants. They're light, but I can save weight by using them as an outer layer over my insulation to keep the wind off me, as opposed to bringing an additional non waterproof jacket.

Anyway, different systems work for different people.

jhubbz

Lil-Rokslider
I'll defer to the folks that live in Colorado, but I've experienced sudden mountain storms both of my elk trips. First trip was rain and hail. I had a cheapo rain jacket and it soaked through in 2 minutes. I invested in the first lite vapor stormtight and haven't looked back. Whatever you do don't settle for a cheap option. The mountains have a way of humbling you pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
I use my rain gear differently than most. The pants get worn most mornings where dew or wet grass and foliage is expected in the quakies. My rain gear gets used more for busting through wet foliage than it does for hunting in a storm. I hate wet pants and shirts that get soaked by wet or damp brush or grass.

If no dew is expected, it stays at camp. If rain or snow/sleat is in the forecast, the dewpoint comes with me in my backpack. For me, I want light rain gear. Sitka dew point is my go to and is what comes along for the days hike.

I have 3 sets of rain gear. Dew point, cloudburst and just got some kuiu ultra nx. Sitka dew point is my favorite and is tough for a lightweight set of rain gear.

I would get the dewpoint if I were in your shoes. I've heard good things about the chugach, but I have no experience with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from CO and I would consider myself a gear junkie. I keep a Frog Toggs poncho from Walmart in my pack if that tells you anything about our weather. It’s always more than enough. When that sudden burst comes in I can squat over my pack with the poncho on and just wait it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Teton rain gear from kuiu has worked great for me. Its the entry level rain gear, but I usually don't wear it hiking through heavy cover and only if its really raining hard and I have to seek cover. Honestly, in CO I think investing in some gaiters would be a better use of your money if you already have rain gear, as the most moisture you will see is from hiking through the dew grass in the early mornings.

KMT

WKR
Your current gear is good enough. I wouldn’t spend any more time thinking about it.

I use my rain gear differently than most. The pants get worn most mornings where dew or wet grass and foliage is expected in the quakies. My rain gear gets used more for busting through wet foliage than it does for hunting in a storm. I hate wet pants and shirts that get soaked by wet or damp brush or grass.

If no dew is expected, it stays at camp. If rain or snow/sleat is in the forecast, the dewpoint comes with me in my backpack. For me, I want light rain gear. Sitka dew point is my go to and is what comes along for the days hike.

I have 3 sets of rain gear. Dew point, cloudburst and just got some kuiu ultra nx. Sitka dew point is my favorite and is tough for a lightweight set of rain gear.

I would get the dewpoint if I were in your shoes. I've heard good things about the chugach, but I have no experience with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gonna start doing this, I have the Dewpoints but usually leave em in my pack. This makes sense.

I have hunted Colorado for the past 3 years and have not needed rain gear yet. I invested a lot of money in rain gear and always pack it, but have not needed to use it yet.

bwlacy

WKR
I have hunted Colorado for the past 3 years and have not needed rain gear yet. I invested a lot of money in rain gear and always pack it, but have not needed to use it yet.

What part of the state? When I was in SW Colorado in 2015 it rained everyday of a 10 day hunt. We'll be in the same area this year and I'm bringing rain gear for sure :)

I always have my rain gear with me in Colorado. Whether it's for walking through dew covered meadows in the morning or for an extra layer when it's windy and cold or for that steady rain when your limited on days, it's nice to have. For me, it's worth the extra weight/space. Now, I don't use it a lot. But I carry it. I still use the Russell apxg zephyr series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part of the state? When I was in SW Colorado in 2015 it rained everyday of a 10 day hunt. We'll be in the same area this year and I'm bringing rain gear for sure :)

Northwest first rifle. 2015 was crazy warm and sunny everyday. Some snow the next 2 years.

I for one will never leave the rainwear in the truck. Hunted archery in northern CO and we saw precip everyday. I thought I would be slick and leave my 15 oz rain pants in the truck. After a 3 mile hike back to camp in heavy wet snow and blow down, I knew I screwed up. We got back to camp to see our highly respected name brand tent partially caved from the snow. After some sawing we had a new main pole. Finally got the stove going to warm up with pants completely soaked. If not we had another 5 miles to the truck. Would have been a rough night.

Nope, can’t do a rain jacket. I’ll either tear it up moving or sweat too much in it. I’d rather layer and ride out the storm under a tree. It’s worked so far.

I’m not trying to come off as a tough guy, I just don’t carry anything I don’t use anymore. Call it a new season resolution.

We have a monsoon season down here in sw Colorado and even then I’m not carrying a rain jacket, and I’m outside for work all day.

I don't look down on guys who carry it, it’s just my way/opinion.

Last edited: