Rain wear - CO elk Hunt

Youre fine with what you have. Just make sure you re-waterproof it with a spray on like forcefield before you come out if it's not brand new. Bring a contractor bag as well that you can put your backpack in if you get caught in a rain storm or have to set up your shelter in the rain. Also keeps blood off your pack/gear if you get something down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
I got a set of OR Foray top and bottom for last year. They come in earth tones, medium weight and the tops can open almost like a poncho for when on the move. Double use as a wind shirt when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
You cant just say "colorado barely gets any rain". That may be true on parts of the front range or far west but there are other areas that get considerable precipitation. If your gear doesnt leak then id say its good to go. Otherwise get some kuiu ultra stuff and take it.

gbflyer

WKR
Sorry to sound jaded about it with the trash bag crack. I live in a temperate rain forest that gets 120 inches a year. I go to CO in the Fall to dry out.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
“ multi week backpack hunt” then absolutely bring rain gear. I have no experience with rivers west.

I don’t know what weather you’ve experienced while hiking here but going from sunny and seventy degrees to 35 and wet with wind can put you in a dangerous place. Also consider how quickly your other layers will dry.

I live here and don’t have high end rain gear but I have and bring rain gear.

Any of you guys ever used the Cabelas Space Rain jacket or pants? Jacket is only 11oz and packs in its own stuff sack.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...ull-Zip-Jacket-with-MOST-DRY-PLUS/1618370.uts

Have used it for years. Well priced and just enough for CO. I don't know that I would want it for all day rainstorms, but it does really well for the shorter downpours in CO.

I have hunted CO 5 or 6 times and have had to use it at least once every year. The year of all the rain, 2013 I think? I had the jacket on most every day, but only wore the pants once.

last year, I wore it quite a bit as well.

It is not the most durable, but I take it easy on it. Ive had my set for 5 years.

I will say that my daughter wore it to a football game and it absolutely poured the entire game. She was dry as a bone. I was soaked in my other gear(also cabelas, but about 20 years old)

OP
F

fishstu

FNG
Thanks guys for the great feedback - I feel at home on this site.

I wouldn’t spend any more time thinking about it - LOL, easy for you to say! I am spending way too much time going over the details of this trip. But I am learning hell of a lot and finding out the sites with good deals - could happily do it all day if I didn’t have to work.

My Rivers West shell will be too heavy and hot to hike CO Mountains in August / September.

I almost picked up the Cabela’s space rain shell & paints on sale for under $100 for both but decided to wait for a deal on the Sitka Dewpoint or may be First Lite Stormtight or Kuiu Chugach NX. At this moment the Dewpoint is favorite because of the lighter weight. There are other lighter hunting water proof shells but I need pit zips, breathablity and will wear it as a wind breaker - will not pack a "hunting jacket" - not cheap but I do have a lot of the other stuff.
Clothing layers will be merino (I already have a bunch, including ice breaker light & mid weight jackets), puffy if needed and a lightweight water / wind proof shell.
Looking to get Kuiu attack pants with hip vents.

Just picked up a Kuiu Kenai insulated jacket on sale 25% off for $135 for my puffy. Got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 tent for $ 264.

Thanks guys for the great feedback - I feel at home on this site.

I wouldn’t spend any more time thinking about it - LOL, easy for you to say! I am spending way too much time going over the details of this trip. But I am learning hell of a lot and finding out the sites with good deals - could happily do it all day if I didn’t have to work.

My Rivers West shell will be too heavy and hot to hike CO Mountains in August / September.

I almost picked up the Cabela’s space rain shell & paints on sale for under $100 for both but decided to wait for a deal on the Sitka Dewpoint or may be First Lite Stormtight or Kuiu Chugach NX. At this moment the Dewpoint is favorite because of the lighter weight. There are other lighter hunting water proof shells but I need pit zips, breathablity and will wear it as a wind breaker - will not pack a "hunting jacket" - not cheap but I do have a lot of the other stuff.
Clothing layers will be merino (I already have a bunch, including ice breaker light & mid weight jackets), puffy if needed and a lightweight water / wind proof shell.
Looking to get Kuiu attack pants with hip vents.

Just picked up a Kuiu Kenai insulated jacket on sale 25% off for $135 for my puffy. Got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL 2 tent for $ 264.

Not sure what size you wear, but there was a set of Sitka Dewpoint on the classifieds.

I spent half the archery season in the mountains the last four years. Occasionally I put my rain jacket on, but almost never my pants. I just picked up some gaiters for the times I should put the pants on.

It's good to have but rarely needed, for me.