Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’d just wear them. Then you can comment on how they are out of the bag like so often I end up wearing mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robby I did as you suggested and pulled them out of the package and started using them. Since I'm pretty unfamiliar with wool I thought a good test would just be throw it on at night and sleep in it. I chose to use the kanati because it uses 20.5 micron wool compared to the 17.5 micron of the kaibab line. 17.5 microns I believe is the finest grade of merino wool but I'm pretty uneducated on wool. My thought process was the "rougher" wool should tip off a problem with my skin type much faster with far less use than the much finer merino of the kaibab. Conclusion after sleeping in it was nothing negative to report and overall pretty comfortable.

I've always been pretty skeptical of merino wool and previous only used a single kuiu top (I bought used) on one trip to Alaska. I will say it would stink up faster than anything I've ever tried smelling powerfully of dead sheep but never held any smell after it dried. I read somewhere it was a bad batch or something but sold it and never looked back. I've worn polygene since my time in the military and typically get a few days out of it before it's totally rank smelling. Im not a prolific sweater like some of you though. With almost everyone I know or talk to currently using merino wool under garments for the increased breathability and odor control I decided I need to give it full test not just a single trip with a questionable potentially defective garment. I'm planning to run the kaibab and kanati all season and will continue to post and update here.
Anyone have any tips on proper use, storage or washing merino wool garments?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
How durable is the Kanati, could it be used as an outer layer? Would it be too warm to wear in typical Sept weather?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
How durable is the Kanati, could it be used as an outer layer? Would it be too warm to wear in typical Sept weather?
I haven't tested but a few days so far. I'm planning to use as an outer layer in earlier seasons and as a mid layer as needed. Basically the kanati will be replacing how I ran the madtrapper last season. I believe the spandex adds a bunch of durability over straight merino. The kanati doesn't feel like it would easily pill or pull out but again this my first true wool garment of this type not sure what to expect. It feels substantially thicker than the kaibab (like 3 or 4 times the thickness) more like a heavy sweat shirt. I'm not sure what 300gsm in comparison to warmth is but I've been wearing it over the kaibab and under the hardscrabble vest in the mid/lower 30s but that was continuous movement. It breathes extremely well so when it's super breezy out you'll need something else to block the wind if using as a outer layer. Mind you these are my impressions after limited use I'll be getting a better picture the more I use it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have any tips on proper use, storage or washing merino wool garments?

I hand wash and hang dry mine. Store it in a spare closet or dresser drawer. For soap I just use the scent free stuff found on the shelf in the hunting department, it’s not wool specific. If my wool gets really grimy with body oils I use a small amount of dawn dish soap, nothing cuts oils better in my experience but you need an extra rinse.

By accident my Sitka wool has gone through the regular laundry a few times with no issues.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have any turkey hunts planned with the summit pattern?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have any turkey hunts planned with the summit pattern?
I did draw a Utah turkey tag for Rio's and if my work will schedule allows will try and hit Kansas or Missouri for easterns. Admitting I'm a pretty crappy turkey hunter should still be a good test but results may end up unsuccessful at no fault to the pattern.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/89955-merino-wool-skin-layer.html Prefect timing another thread on merino wool. Hope to get a pictures and my thoughts on the kaibab series posted up here soon
4146e23537329bf59b1214f2d9fbf05d.jpg
3739d227706d03f8d30a68a5e966868d.jpg

Couple pictures from the merino thread from SKRE pointing out the features of thier tops

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok guys here is a couple pictures of the kaibab top. I've been wearing it straight for last few days as a under shirt. I've worn it out shed hunting and sweated a bunch than after it dried to the grocery store and waited in line next to strangers with no one turning thier nose up at the smell.Asked the wife to do the sniff test and she thought they just were opened from the package pretty impressive odor control.
75edfaaa2ee4e160da6d7e601c2b5973.jpg
I really like the cut of this shirt the flat seams don't seem to chaff under a heavy load. The extra length of the shirt tail keeps it tucked in for long sits and when wearing a pack.
283d7ec3844902a572a83387cd6f2361.jpg
you can really see the fit when it's turned inside out.
Quarter zip let's it vent when you really heat up. Note I did find the zipper a bit stiff you'll have to see if it breaks in some with more use or not.
41f48451c0edd014ccd455f687f86fd6.jpg
Top has some nicely designed thumb holes for convenience when layering over.
ce0c1400f40503d9ec8bbda30c56a183.jpg

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Promise this will be the only picture of my drawers
c46ee15a42077ebd5a3baaad0390a635.jpg
nice wide waist band that's comfortable under pants wearing a belt and also under a loaded pack. SKRE said that they lengthened the pants 2" due to customer feed back. I find the length about perfect for me these are 2xl

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like I overlooked the SKRE washing instructions conveniently printed on the merino wool. Seems pretty simple
1dc05188833e94a335d6fd9201a78a3f.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What’s your inseam? Looks like they added four inches. Yes the wide waistband is nice. I found the fit tight below my knees but just right from there up. They do a great job staying in place.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What’s your inseam? Looks like they added four inches. Yes the wide waistband is nice. I found the fit tight below my knees but just right from there up. They do a great job staying in place.
I'm 6'4" so generous length. They haven't been washed yet just been wearing them around for a few days. I didn't find them tight but maybe I just have chicken legs.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just giving you guys a heads up on the SKRE tax sale. 10% off and free shipping code is "TAX10"
I took the opportunity to save a little and ordered a couple things. Good chance for those of you on the fence to try some of this gear for a discount. Post up your thoughts if you get anything.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mix and match day when I found I had forgot my kanati hoodie after I left for shed hunting
bca4c7c590eebf7380084c934f502e01.jpg

I'm waiting for the 20% off fathers day sale. I've learned my lesson with SKRE. Always wait for a sale, because as soon as you buy something, it will go on sale.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been pretty surprised by the kanati and how well it cut the wind for a wool garment. I had it out in over 30+ winds and was impressed wind totally flattered my shelter. It was cold out upper 20's has the kaibab then the kanati and wore the hardscrabble vest. Worked a good sweat up gaining elevation when it started spitting hail.
c6eea351b1695fdaf07824f1849d2c96.jpg
Tried to hunker down behind some rocks and pulled out the hardscrabble jacket
67f76a57bbd33afe11bd8bd004be82d4.jpg
62f7605ab71962c255821dc019eb441f.jpg
The Teflon dwr did just what it was suppose to and kept the pants from soaking though
3fc2c2cb58e79b4a4a39c922ed7bbfce.jpg

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The day felt more like late fall than early spring plenty of snow left out there even at lower elevations
dcdc7f61ea5ab393968de3800ba76895.jpg
Found myself continuously breaking though snow drifts. Really need to pick up the gaiters.
67ba5124daa2be920be2db820150fc9e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hail storm freaked the dog out he wasn't having any more fun so we headed back down to the shelter. The wind had broken a rear pole but got it replaced with a trekking pole and stood back up. Here are a couple pictures
6cf0d9f8d56fe782bcbbe3eddee5cf3b.jpg
Im always impressed with how quickly the stove dries everything out. A solid dwr coating keeps everything from soaking in allowing a very short dry time for the exterior.
ad7b57e3a089263e967a1af79f1ec284.jpg

With the proper gear any trip can be enjoyable no matter the conditions.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got the email that today is last day for 10% off using "TAX10"