Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man that happened so fast!DSC00044.JPG Well it was a little over 100 yard shot verified by Leica but was pretty close to straight down. Had to crawl closer to the edge so I could get more downward angle on my rifle for the shot. It's after 9 now and gets dark about 10pm. Decision time hike back down to the Jeep tonight and leave it till morning and hike back up to work in daylight or decend the steep cliffs and hopefully beat the darkness while processing the bear and making the trip down in the total dark. Option 2 was chosen and later regretted. It was about 350 yards to twist and wind though the cliffs with a nearly vertical decent before we got to the bear. Standing in the avalanche chute we were about halfway through skinning when it got really dark really fast, not a ideal situation by any stretch. We really tried to rush and left the quarters and skull on the hide. After loading the hide plus meat in my pack I knew we would need to be extra careful. Extra caution on the climb up to not twist.sprainor worse breaking something try to find our way back up the cliffs.
It was a tough climb and all we could do to gain elevation hanging on to and pulling against anything we could grab to hold onto rocks, wire thin branches, small root balls. I slipped one time and slid about 8' straight down all the while spidermaned face first into the cliff outcropping. Doing everything I could to just try and to claw into the mountain side to stop my desent. Honestly it scared me a bunch but staying halfway up on the steep mountain side wasn't an option so I collected myself and continued to climb. Never been so happy to have covered a meet 350 yards in my life.
We still had navigate the blown down timber and make it back to the Jeep but it was a relief to make the top for sure. 4 miles down the mountain and then 2.5 back to the other trail head where we started our day and left the Jeep. Half way down in the dark we had another encounter with a bear on the trail that didn't run away when we shouted at it and took a warning shot to see we were serious about getting by it on the trail. It was pretty unnerving encounter in the total blackness under tight North Idaho canopy of thick ass trees. After that I was every twig breaking or shadow moving got my attention yep I was officially afraid of the dark haha. It was an adventure not soon to be forgotten for sure. Glad I got to share the experience with a good friend. Be plenty of smiles and smack talking around the fire for years to come.

Wore the unita pants which did take a few tears hiking down though the blow down in the dark under a heavy pack.
b61e270949aaa64ed9b3ce09fd52757e.jpg
Got them all patched up and ready for my next adventure I'll keep everyone posted on thier continued durability. The kaibab and the kanati tops handled the downed tree jungle without issue. I did burn two very small holes in the kaibab sleeve lighting my stove but that's on me. Also after being in the rain wearing the early season hat I switched to one of my all-time favorite hats that patch hat you see in the kill pictures. I really like all the SKRE hats I've tried out.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
First bear hunt, first bear even I get luckily sometimes. Thanks everyone that helped me out.
d77b614c9c4c41add3acf0cd24f4c6c6.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally got last year's buck back from the taxidermist. Looks awesome!
669cad7d9bc050293716f5f67f428c94.jpg
828650d899310f3b126b3efc7bd86ef6.jpg

Here's the field photo wore all mountain stealth last season.
c60080bace5f18515e5692d273f25245.jpg

K_pem

WKR
I received my SKRE order today. Im pretty impressed so far. The customer service was great and i was upgraded on my free shipping so that id have my gear in time to try it out scouting this weekend, ive never had that happen before, thats a $20 bill for them!

I ordered the merino neck gaiter, nebo rain set and the uinta early season pants. I will say im a little nervous on the durability of the pants as they are SO soft and comfy. Like PJs honestly. Ive only worn them for a really short while but i plan to do some hiking in hot weather this week and weekend so theyll be put to the test. As for the rain gear it seemed very well built, I will be putting it through the shower test tomorrow probably.

All in all i cant wait to test it out! Provided all goes well, ill be ordering some more! I just wish they offered a light weight vest or jacket and their merino was cheaper.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I received my SKRE order today. Im pretty impressed so far. The customer service was great and i was upgraded on my free shipping so that id have my gear in time to try it out scouting this weekend, ive never had that happen before, thats a $20 bill for them!

I ordered the merino neck gaiter, nebo rain set and the uinta early season pants. I will say im a little nervous on the durability of the pants as they are SO soft and comfy. Like PJs honestly. Ive only worn them for a really short while but i plan to do some hiking in hot weather this week and weekend so theyll be put to the test. As for the rain gear it seemed very well built, I will be putting it through the shower test tomorrow probably.

All in all i cant wait to test it out! Provided all goes well, ill be ordering some more! I just wish they offered a light weight vest or jacket and their merino was cheaper.

They do have a softshell vest. I haven’t had mine for very long but it’s very soft and isn’t stiff so it wears really comfortable.

All merino is expensive. I’ve been pleased with mine from skre.

K_pem

WKR
I seen that soft shell vest I was looking for something similar to the sitka mountain vest. Real light weight just to break the wind off. Also if SKRE is watching they need to take a page out of kuiu book and do the zip off base layers! I’d be the first to buy a heavyweight fleece base layer or merino or even insulated like the Kenai was, if they came out with it!

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Please keep us posted as you get to run those pieces though out this season. I truly love those unita pants I'll be back to giving them hell next week scouting for elk. Don't remember how I even ever hiked/scouted in the scorching summer sun without them, but they really do make it much more bearable.

K_pem

WKR
Yeah after one day scouting in the heat, i fell in love with the pants. Theyre almost as if breeding the KUIU alpine with the Sitka ascent. Perfect for early season and i think ill be able to layer them correctly well through september into october for active hunting before throwing my Sitka mountain pants back on, or who knows maybe going to the hardscrabble.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found a cold breeze would blow though the unita pants to easily to wear them much past mid October. Once the temperature highs only reach mid 70's the hardscrabble pants will easily vent to keep you comfortable and will also block the wind better and be much much warmer. If going with a single pant for all season I think most people will be better served with the hardscrabble pants unless they focus the majority of time scouting and archery seasons.
Yeah after one day scouting in the heat, i fell in love with the pants. Theyre almost as if breeding the KUIU alpine with the Sitka ascent. Perfect for early season and i think ill be able to layer them correctly well through september into october for active hunting before throwing my Sitka mountain pants back on, or who knows maybe going to the hardscrabble.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
While traveling for work got an invite I just couldn't say no too.
756abff8b66f3b6b523dacefa93ee5e2.jpg
Great time and almost to much fun with to many shooting opportunities. It's truly sad the damage these invasive Asian carp are doing to fisheries everywhere.
Added this skre casual tee to a order as an impulse buy because of its great sale price. Really a nice comfortable shirt going to order a couple more at the sale price it's a no brainier even for me.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Working on a short video highlighting the dead fall gloves. Anyone else tried them and would like to post thier thoughts up please do.
c222bb16f810204f602b07965ab1ec23.jpg

I did run the deadfalls last season and I'm excited to run the upgraded version this season
02d04099a0501cce98d8ef339151c920.jpg

Last edited:

Kanoil

FNG
Looks like good quality gear. I'm new to the forums but have been reading the last couple weeks about this brand. Just wish they had more color options dont know how well this would work in kansas. Do like they give a bundle option I added it all up and the all season bundle saves almost 200 dollars seems to be a good deal.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like good quality gear. I'm new to the forums but have been reading the last couple weeks about this brand. Just wish they had more color options dont know how well this would work in kansas. Do like they give a bundle option I added it all up and the all season bundle saves almost 200 dollars seems to be a good deal.
I did kill three whitetail deer out of a tree stand last season wearing the mountain stealth pattern. One was Sept and others in Nov. Here is one of the pictures rest are buried in last years review thread somewhere.
eda842e590677429f1fa079f7ac6e8e1.jpg
Looking forward to trying the summit pattern in the tree stand this season.

Kanoil

FNG
I did kill three whitetail deer out of a tree stand last season wearing the mountain stealth pattern. One was Sept and others in Nov. Here is one of the pictures rest are buried in last years review thread somewhere.
eda842e590677429f1fa079f7ac6e8e1.jpg
Looking forward to trying the summit pattern in the tree stand this season.

Yeah I'm thinking trying one of there bundles then trying sitka next to them I'm not in tree stands much. More against a tree or on the edge of some bushes and tall grass. I feel like it'd need more red or brown and less green for on the ground. I'm in south central ks and the grasses are starting to turn yellow in my area but that could be the lack of rain the last couple months though.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord