7dfcd3b131970083b51ec13be208f89a.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations! How many are you allowed?
Thanks. Here we are only allowed one spring tag. In fact this was a limited entry tag took 2 points to draw. Crazy way they do it here but utah loves it's point game

Last edited:
Thanks. Here we are only allowed one spring tag. In fact this was a limited entry tag took 2 points to draw. Crazy way they do it but utah loves it's point game

Wow, in Kentucky, I can kill two in the spring, two in the fall, and I'm thinking one more if it's on an army base.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a picture and a quick review of what I used on this run and gun turkey hunt.
3abf721e697cc3f97c48bfb5efddd9b8.jpg
I usually climb the bluffs and try and glass birds up then plan a stalk to cut them off and get them close. I typically put a couple miles on every day and the desert is cold in the morning and warms up 30 or 35 degrees as the sun rises wind can also be an issue with over 10mph common in the afternoons. Pretty good temperature swings that require some versatility in clothing selection if your planning on covering much ground that day.

This trip didn't disappoint it was 28* at 0530 when I woke up. I could hear some turkeys gobbling so I put on the kaibab top and bottom for insulation thinking I might sneak in and wait for fly down. I also opted for the kanati hoody and vest over the hardscrabble jacket knowing it could warm up quickly if my plan didn't work and I had to head to plan B and I didn't want to end up packing the jacket around all day.
I snuck within 70 yards of the roost and sat down to wait first light was 0615. Around 6 a four wheeler rolled up about 100 yards away and two guys started talking and trying to shock gooble the cottonwoods I was set up in. Of course this caused the turkeys to fly across the river.
Frustrating as hell it's a two hour drive around to cross the river and I saw a couple guys over there when I got in the night before. I decided to head to plan B which was climb the bluff hightail it to where I saw a flock roost on the far side of the river the previous evening and hope they flew across to my side this morning.I hurried as fast as my legs could climb thankful for the hip vents as I was sweating profusely and breathing to heavily to even cruse myself for not working out more over the winter.
Just I got close I could hear 4 or 5 toms sounding off a dream come true for opening morning if and that's a big if they are on my side. Boom shattered my thoughts, guys on the opposite side had just scored a tom. I could easily see thier setup but couldn't see any birds running off and figured some must have flown over this morning. I slowed down and started to ease my way up and down the many ravines. Finally I spotted a group of turkeys working thier way up towards the cliffs. I quickly ran to cut them off and set up and waited in ambush next to a single sage brush. A few hens crested first but even at 15 yards didn't pick me off. I saw a bearded bird and squeezed the trigger and the 2018 Utah turkey season was over for me. My dad still has a tag and my daughter said she might be interested in going in youth season so planning a few more turkey outings anyway.
Take aways were the summit pattern was very effective for me on this hunt. Hip vents are a game changer when variables such as activity levels or temperature take a big swing in another direction. Merino wool is excellent at wicking sweat and not feeling clammy. The kanati hoody cuts wind better than I thought a wool garment would. The unita hat is a favorite for letting my head breathe while still keeping the sun out of my eyes.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maninthemaze ---I'm truly terrible at turkey hunting two or three tags would have me pulling my hair out.Typically these turkeys with only a pea sized brain kick my azz all season long. I need a lesson or two if anyone is taking apprenticeships
537abf12d080dea1c5d5d4ebae3eb95d.jpg
All worth it when the family sits down at the dinner table

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, in Kentucky, I can kill two in the spring, two in the fall, and I'm thinking one more if it's on an army base.

Not sure why it didn't reply to you last time but seems I can't figure out how to edit your reply in above

They are definitely a challenge. It's one of the reasons Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the national bird. I've only hunted them a couple times. I suck at calling them in so I'm definitely not an expert.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My luck has been improving for sure.2017 my first archery bird SKRE mnt stealth
78a083ba32417aa2c310db05ec2a1f76.jpg
c48e98fad03780cdb6061736c9ded3ef.jpg
2018 with SKRE summit
8f0a1481a042846dfb6ab9aa457f19b8.jpg
I'd love to chase Easterns again or maybe some Merriam's. Turkeys are frustratingly fun but definitely take a backseat when making vacation decisions for hunting.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Dad and I went out for a three day weekend chasing turkeys. Weather was forecast for wind and rain Friday afternoon into Saturday morning. Perfect opportunity to break out the nebo rain gear for a test run I was excited for the weather my dad not so much. Weather turned off perfect except a few gusts of wind that threw tons of dust into the air. Forecast must have scared most hunters off because we had the whole place to ourselves which has never happened out there before. I was sure we were destined for easy pickings but the turkeys had other ideas. Called a couple Jake's in along with these three calves which blocked all shooting opportunities
5c192266e5ff6ee3c3cec636d3c17e6d.jpg
We did get within the 30 yards of multiple birds and even caught a glimpse of what I'm calling turkey fever but that's been an ongoing debate by the ol man haha. Great memories made with Papa and his grandkids. Maybe next time we'll actually kill a turkey.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore the SKRE merino wool the whole trip and again was very impressed at how the garments didn't seem to hold any stink. I did notice a slight sheep smell when I sweated for long durations but no smell when dry. I didn't find drying to be an issue even with cooler temps at night and no extra heat. Mornings started in the low 30's and warmed into the upper 50's and mid 60's once. The kaibab and kanati hoody and the hardscrabble vest either worn or thrown in the pack started everyday. Again I wore the hardscrabble pants which really shine in these temps. Even sitting in a blind baking in the sun the hip vents added some relief and drafted any breeze that blew in. I do think I'll have to break out some wasatch pants for extended periods of mid 60's and up. Daughter might try and go for kids weekend I'll keep you posted and try and take some pictures.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
After rejection from Wyoming, Arizona,and New Mexico I finally drew something. Montana general of course no special permit but oh well it's better than sitting at home wishing I was hunting.
012e0893396935f524c0300be30dbb2e.jpg

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I just got this email and took advantage of this deal myself. If your on the fence about trying some SKRE products now is the time to finally pull the trigger and order some up.FLASH SALE STARTS NOW - 20% OFF & FREE SHIPPING SKRE 20% off sale with free shipping April 27th thur April 29th.

I also took advantage of that sale and got the jacket and pants. Going to have to switch out the XL jacket for XXL, but the pants fits perfect. Finally cargo pockets where I can use them, more towards the front. Can't wait to put these to use this fall in Colorado, and of course here in Kentucky.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also took advantage of that sale and got the jacket and pants. Going to have to switch out the XL jacket for XXL, but the pants fits perfect. Finally cargo pockets where I can use them, more towards the front. Can't wait to put these to use this fall in Colorado, and of course here in Kentucky.
Scoony glad you got a great deal. Please keep us posted on your thoughts after you used them for awhile

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uinta pants have arrived
9e0b859954a2265f469f1f4400b0cde7.jpg
20% off sale made these a awesome deal

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in the high desert and love hunting the early archery season here in Utah. The uinta early season pants were a staple last year for me in staying comfortable when the temperature really starts to raise. Such a light wieght fabric but was very impressed with the durability I had last season no ripps or tears at all. These pants have the same great features as the hardscrabble pants.
f6ef5dace51a85f1f6710973da154eb5.jpg
Pants button has been reenforced and the zipper fly lengthened. The cut of the pants has been slightly modified from last year making them fit better in all the right places and I've found them to run true to size for me. Running a 38 in both the hardscrabble and uinta pants. Belt loops were also reenforced and widened for a more comfortable fit under a pack belt. No pocket flap makes it easier to zip the pocket, feels lighter and should vent better. Upgraded to more silent rope zipper pulls added nice zipper keepers so zippers stay closed when you want them and SKRE still uses the best YKK zippers.
73ad155a0b89ed3c449d01f75c762809.jpg
Take a second to look at the available venting options with hip and pocket vents open this truly is an awesome early season pant. I'm so impressed at how well these breathe and just really wish they were available in solid colors for everyday wear
0095753855f234197b7ad0b88e8efd3d.jpg
Here is a quick snap shot of the fabric against a window so you can see the fabric grid pattern and how much air flow can pass though.
411ec9d2f9479a6b9363e88c6e6fe556.jpg
Hopefully by now you can tell I really love these pants.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
These uinta pants were 12.1 oz on the scale
25dafbc49a95167ee0e019a4bce15374.jpg
Here is some stika ascent pants for comparison still in size 38
b12d5c3a2a01800030e21ee6990c2e0e.jpg
19.7 on scale
f5d9c72c83fe1bdca1681d838cdfae00.jpg