Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem!!! You would think after 6 years of high school, my grammar would be better. Maybe it's my Kentucky accent that's not coming across through the text. LOL

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there isnt much out there on the Nebo rain gear so I wanted to do a quick highlight of the jacket features SKRE Nebo Rain Jacket - YouTube Hopefully this helpful and I can do a few more in the future. This is my first video so let me know how to improve to help everyone better thanks

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there isnt much out there on the Nebo rain gear so I wanted to do a quick highlight of the jacket features SKRE Nebo Rain Jacket - YouTube Hopefully this helpful and I can do a few more in the future. This is my first video so let me know how to improve to help everyone better thanks

You’re first video? Well done sir. Excellent volume, spoke loud and clear, stayed in frame. Covered all the details. Not too long or short.

Jacket sounds quiet. Chest pocket seems low, is it accessible with a pack on? Could you do a video comparison of their non rain pants?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You’re first video? Well done sir. Excellent volume, spoke loud and clear, stayed in frame. Covered all the details. Not too long or short.

Jacket sounds quiet. Chest pocket seems low, is it accessible with a pack on? Could you do a video comparison of their non rain pants?
It's was harder than I assumed it would be hopefully they'll get better if I do more.
dc76bc6273db38a51e7068e00726db85.jpg
The pack doesn't block any access to the chest pocket.
I would be happy to try to make an another video. Would you like the hardscrabble compared to the unita pants or to something else? Anything particular you would like to see?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's was harder than I assumed it would be hopefully they'll get better if I do more.
dc76bc6273db38a51e7068e00726db85.jpg
The pack doesn't block any access to the chest pocket.
I would be happy to try to make an another video. Would you like the hardscrabble compared to the unita pants or to something else? Anything particular you would like to see?

I’ve owned the hard scrabble but I’m sure others would appreciate the comparison. Mainly curious of the unita. Since I can’t go away from hip vents it’s them or kuiu tiburons again. How quiet are the Unitas and if moving would you need a layer underneath at around 25 degrees?

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
The unitas in my experience are just as quiet as the tiburons. They are my main summer pants now, and if they made solid colors that's only what I'd wear casually also. They are super light and breathable so it would be a stretch to wear them at 25 degrees even with a base layer, for myself anyway. I switch to hard scrabbles in Oct. or anything sub 40 degrees.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve owned the hard scrabble but I’m sure others would appreciate the comparison. Mainly curious of the uinta. Since I can’t go away from hip vents it’s them or kuiu tiburons again. How quiet are the Uintas and if moving would you need a layer underneath at around 25 degrees?

I'll see if I can throw something together before I leave for my work hitch today.
I agree with vt no way I could run the unita early season pants at 25 they just breathe way to well. I wear the Unitas spot and stalk archery hunting so yes I believe they are a quite pant.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uinta early season pant - YouTube Here is rough video of the Uinta early season pants. These are truly the best warm season pants Ive ever worn. Promise a remake to do these pants justice when I get home in a couple weeks just ran out of time and cant upload video on the road.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uinta early season pant - YouTube Here is rough video of the Uinta early season pants. These are truly the best warm season pants Ive ever worn. Promise a remake to do these pants justice when I get home in a couple weeks just ran out of time and cant upload video on the road.

Well not what I’m looking for until a solid color is available. Like the tiburon it’s a pant for the heat, not for wild temperature swings. I will say the larger cargo pockets, no flaps and better pattern (my opinion) sways me over the tiburons. I just need something in between the Unitas and hard scrabble. For summer scouting, backpacking I’ll definitely get a pair in a solid color.

Not sure if I mentioned solid colors would be nice.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loaded for bear! Next weekend can't get here soon enough.
c91409bb0b1221658af9537865b9d616.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got tired of my miss matched camo so I took advantage of the sale. Wasatch top, hardscrabble vest, early season hat all in summit.

Thinking that should be a nice set up top for Colorado archery season (I’ll have other layers when needed) Curious if anyone else has ran this combo in September above 8000ft?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
First backpacking trip of the year is coming up quick. Hopefully the bears will cooperate.
8827a9a90564e3b6fc6d1e9791eb6bf4.jpg

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got tired of my miss matched camo so I took advantage of the sale. Wasatch top, hardscrabble vest, early season hat all in summit.
QUOTE]

Just arrived, some initial thoughts.

Wasatch top. Sizing is accurate for an athletic cut. Think compression fit without the squeeze. Plenty long to tuck in. Sleeves are great for longer arms and drumroll....it has thumb loop tabs sewn inside the cuff. That’s a nice touch missing from the online description. The neck opening is almost too tight, a quarter zip would be nice. Bicep pocket actually works without using that hand to hold the material tightly. Not sure why it doesn’t have a pull cord and the zipper tab makes noise flopping around. Would like to see a rubber coating on this as it is annoying. Material is a bit heavier than their kaibab wool but feels extremely tuff yet good stretch. So far I’m nitpicking my first impression but I have one real concern with a seam. There is one coming down from the shoulder cutting under the arm just a hair before turning straight down. It’s not irritating so far, just noticeable. I hope it doesn’t get irritating with a heavy pack as my straps sit right over it.

Hardscrabble vest. Ordered same size as the wasatch as I don’t plan on wearing more than one shirt under it. It fits great yet a tad more relaxed. It is shorter than expected, not a big deal but if it were the jacket I’d want to size up. I’m going to reach out to skre tomorrow to see if the vest and jacket are on the same sizing scale. Uh, hand pockets are not accessible with my pack on. If I leave them unzipped there is 70% exposed so it will vent but no way I can use the zipper. Not something I plan to return as I wasn’t putting anything in there that I would need readily available. Material might have been updated for this year? Compared to my hs pants last year it’s quieter and less shine.

General thoughts. Again A+ job getting different materials to look the same. I’m not a stickler to have my camo match but it’s nice that it each piece is sized and cut to work together. Really like the summit pattern. Ordering was easy even linking through PayPal. Even though I made it with two hours left on the sale it was processed and shipped the next day and arrived two days after.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got back from Idaho. Luckily I took my whole SKRE setup as the weather went from cold and raining to sunny and hot.
Day 1
Had crazy tornado warning while driving though Southeastern Idaho. Good size hail made us find a find underpass to hide under until it passed
e06a7eadfdd08c89e3ba112f61ae57a8.jpg
That short weather delay pushed us into dark thirty without arriving at plan A. We setup shop and waited for morning not having ever been to this area before.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 2
Up well before sunrise to get into plan A and glass up some bears. Unfortunately our route was still impassable due to excessive snow. After busting many drifts using the front and rear lockers, winch and a shovel we got turned around and headed back out to where all the smart people turned around.
7934d722d27bfd0e4054b6cbca5a7127.jpg
866 miles driven only to be turned back 4 miles from our destination. Plenty of wearing of the nebo rain gear while pushing pulling shoveling and cussing at the Jeep all while out in the driving rain.

On to plan B. Drove back and around the long way and up the other side but of course the snow was much lower and we were further away then when we started. Went back to the only pull off we saw and decided to set up camp and explore our options. After setting everything up and making lunch an outfitter showed up and let us know we were very near his bait site and he had a client coming up shortly. We packed up and gave them some space on to plan C.

Plan C honestly no plan but to hit the closest trail head try and gain elevation and glass up the terrain. After a three mile grind to the top over tons and tons of blow down--- EPIC fail! North Idaho has no tree line, no clearings, totally claustrophobic feeling for a guy from the high desert. Return to trail head in the dark totally defeated, knowing this trip was going to be very difficult to impossible for spot and stalk bear and success and luck were going hand in hand. Sucks slept at Jeep.

Used hardscrabble pants and vest along with kanati hoody and kaibab top and bottoms. Nebo rain jacket and pants as outer layer. Rain most of day highs in mid 40's.
Nebo pants impressed me with their durability working though the blow down did try be gentle with them and not destroy them on purpose
Side note jeep 3.8L engine almost gave it up this trip using a quart! of oil per tank of gas. Luckily it got us back home only 1700 miles and 7 quarts of oil later. Yes its currently got it guts out for a rebuild hopefully this new one holds together longer than 126000. Didn't turn into the short cheap trip to Idaho I had planned after all.
Edited-finally got my motor in.
b3b8b4af55b02d91155a26014b3a9190.jpg
Sucks that it cut into my hunting funds pretty deep.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day 3
On to plan C option 2 find another trail and try and gain elevation and get above tree line and see something just see anything.
It atlest had stopped raining but everything was still wet so I decided on wearing unita pants with the nebo pants over the top with the sides zipped open down to the knee. I wore the kaibab top and threw the kanati and nebo jacket in my pack in case the weather changed.
It was about 4 miles to the top with about 2800' of elevation gain worked a pretty sweat up but still couldn't see anything but trees. Decided to side hill drop down and climb another hill top we could see on the map than hopefully find the trail that lead back down to the main road and follow that back to our Jeep at the other trail head.
I've never done so much blow down there were times I was down on all fours just trying to climb though it because it was to much stacked up on each other to climb over or go around. It was crazy and I'm sure my hunting partner doubted me many times though the day. We finally made it to a spot and saw.DSC00040.jpg
Sorry having some photo posting drama I'll fix it and finish day 3 later

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally could see some country. I told my buddy that we would at lest see a bear on this trip even if it was miles away. We knew that the bears had been coming out later in the evening around eight so we decided to take a nap for an hour or so and wait. When I woke up from my nap I saw a wolf in the wide open about 100 yards away. Id say we surprised each other as he turned on mach speed and I frantically ripped my scope cover off. In a blink he was gone in the underbrush was it was my first encounter and I was shocked at its sheer size of that animal. DSC00038.jpg DSC00035.jpg Well we got set up and quickly glassed some bears up a long long ways out there no worries we'll be there tomorrow but it'll take some work to hike around and up there. Holy S**t is that a bear right down there?DSC00045.JPG

Last edited: