Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I'm thinking trying one of there bundles then trying sitka next to them I'm not in tree stands much. More against a tree or on the edge of some bushes and tall grass. I feel like it'd need more red or brown and less green for on the ground. I'm in south central ks and the grasses are starting to turn yellow in my area but that could be the lack of rain the last couple months though.
Kanoil welcome to rokslide! Oh yes I also spend most of my time hunting from the ground out here. Only get a few days each year to chase whitetails mostly from tree stands. I'll be starting fall with archery elk hunting opening here in about 2 weeks. I think the summit pattern will be super versatile for how I hunt but Ive never tried to match the foliage just trying to break up my outline. Follow along as I'll continue to post up my thoughts and opinions.
If you order some SKRE gear please post up your thoughts here on this thread, it's a great resource to those that have yet to see SKRE in person.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m about to pull the trigger on these. But first can you comment on the size compared to sitka gloves?
I have the cold fronts, traverse,and ascent glove all in XL. If your typical size doesn't fit you could always use the SKRE VIP exchange promise until you get the sizing you need. I'll try and post some pictures up comparing them tomorrow when I get home.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the cold fronts, traverse,and ascent glove all in XL. If your typical size doesn't fit you could always use the SKRE VIP exchange promise until you get the sizing you need. I'll try and post some pictures up comparing them tomorrow when I get home.

I have the traverse in XL so would help me decide.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the traverse in XL so would help me decide.
Ok here are some pictures for you.
da9ae8bdfa234eb4d82ab0c503d6cfc5.jpg
traverse glove
12a0bbfc87d38f2d59ad07b0b1fe0381.jpg
Deadfall glove
36a6ba8a71df3fd0b79e65c84985a0a8.jpg
Finger length looks very close
ee279375db32a575e05d9e0981595fee.jpg
aad2a9142393bef4a144e778bb7c5e59.jpg
All these are XL gloves. Ascent and traverse are just a bit narrower in the palm but are thinner and have more stretch. The heavier cold fronts have very similar measurements. Hope that helps

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the new design will work better for me and I'll really appreciate the newly added hood.
b47246edc84e6a4615bc2652f8fafa0f.jpg
This ptarmigan rode many miles in my pack last year. Super handy for early morning glassing sessions or insurance against ever changing conditions on the mountain.

Last edited:
If you happen to get one, could you do a direct comparison between them. I have a Ptarmigan that seem short to me. The sleeve length is fine but the torso reminds me of a Levi's denim chore jacket. It barely covers my belt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you happen to get one, could you do a direct comparison between them. I have a Ptarmigan that seem short to me. The sleeve length is fine but the torso reminds me of a Levi's denim chore jacket. It barely covers my belt.

I don't recall this being a problem for me. Unfortunately I sold off most of my mountain stealth pieces before my move to the summit pattern so no direct comparisons. I will be getting a hooded ptarmigan for sure and will do my best to show torso length and answer any questions.

I don't recall this being a problem for me. Unfortunately I sold off most of my mountain stealth pieces before my move to the summit pattern so no direct comparisons. I will be getting a hooded ptarmigan for sure and will do my best to show torso length and answer any questions.
I'm not sure how to compare apples to apples between the different jackets but my XL Ptarmigan is about 3 inches shorter in the torso than my L SKRE rain jackets.

Don't get me wrong, I like the puffy, I just wish they didn't cut it so short in the torso. Or at least make it the same length as it is in the back. It has the same "cut" as their merino.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure how to compare apples to apples between the different jackets but my XL Ptarmigan is about 3 inches shorter in the torso than my L SKRE rain jackets.

Don't get me wrong, I like the puffy, I just wish they didn't cut it so short in the torso. Or at least make it the same length as it is in the back. It has the same "cut" as their merino.

SKRE did tell me that this has a resized cut for a more true to size fit. I ordered a XXL so guess we'll see. I'm not sure if they also recut the original ptarmigan I didn't ask since I really wanted the hood. I'd guess it'll be awhile until I get the new puffy but I'm sure we could figure out a way to give you an idea of length.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems like for 2018 SKRE has tweaked the fit of most of thier offerings with respect to user feedback. I appreciate they are always striving for better and never happy with good enough. I do always call and ask about fit before ordering and haven't had any surprises yet.

cram369

FNG
Was looking at the Sitka mountain pants, but after reading the posts and reviews on SKRE, went with the Hardscrabble in summit. They fit perfectly. Got the belt, stretch cap in summit, and Alpine core lite shirt in mountain stealth. It's all top notch, durable gear at a more reasonable price. Will get hardscrabble jacket and kaibab shirt for next year.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was looking at the Sitka mountain pants, but after reading the posts and reviews on SKRE, went with the Hardscrabble in summit. They fit perfectly. Got the belt, stretch cap in summit, and Alpine core lite shirt in mountain stealth. It's all top notch, durable gear at a more reasonable price. Will get hardscrabble jacket and kaibab shirt for next year.

Cram please continue to report back as you use the hardscrabble though out the season.
What is this stretch cap? Is it a mernio beanie? I'm going to go check out the SKRE web site maybe I'm missing something. I always try to take advantage of free shipping.

cram369

FNG
Sorry. The Hardscrabble cap. Will be in Colorado in September and do follow up review after that. For now just using them for backpack training. Fit perfect through the crotch and knees. Not tight, and don't sag down. They have more range of movement than I do. Have done squats in them with no binding anywhere. The belt stays tight and holds pants in place.

Which top would you recommend for archery elk season? The wasatch or kaibab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cram369

FNG
Kaibab, but I'd call and talk to Michael with SKRE. Great customer service and knowledge of the gear.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really liked the Wasatch top it's a thin fleece that dries very well and for me last season didn't funk up and hold stink as much some fleece can. It's a soft inner and the outer is smooth and took all the abuse I threw at it last season. I've heard they made a few minor upgrades but haven't tried the newest version.
I decided to try the Merino wool instead to see what I've been missing out on. I agree that's it's a great choice. Multiple days worn and the kaibab is still basically stink free. Minimal sheep smell when sweated out and virtually no smell at all when dry. It wicks better as a base layer but dries a bit slower but doesn't feel damp against the skin. I like it better as a base layer as it breathe better. I haven't had any durability issues I'll continue wearing it all elk season in Utah and my pack trip in Montana.
I'd also recommend giving Mike a call and asking his opinion. I'm always impressed at his product knowledge and application of each piece of the system. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either piece. Id break it down that the kaibab has a few more benefits but it also costs more, the wasatch may be slightly more durable and a bit cheaper cost wise.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been a long work trip to Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin,and ending in Chicago. Never been so happy to be home. Quick check of my gear and the realization now is the time to start punching some of these tags
f636bd1c340c24a7b9e44f2221d9c13e.jpg

Still hoping to get the hooded ptarmigan before I leave for Montana going to be tight with a mid September estimated shipping time frame.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
With archery spike season closed in it's time to get everything ready to go for Montana archery. My Utah tag is good for all three seasons and wanted to hold on to my tag anyways to mentor my daughter with during rifle season.
fa856a7a08f4a21013157837d8b1cdba.jpg
Looks like a system is suppose to blow into Montana this weekend bringing some cooler temps. Perfect timing. Looks like I'll be packing everything and the kitchen sink just to see for sure what weather is really going to hit us.