Which Sitka Pieces?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just for fun guys, what would you choose?

Western hunting, from early September to late December. Elevations from 0-12,000 ft. All weather conditions. Backpack hunting. Let's start outside of base layers. What 10 items you would choose to build your system? Ready. Go.

Kotaman

WKR
1.Timber line pants.
2. Apex Pant
3. Apex Hoodie
4. Kelvin Active
5. Kelvin Lite
6. Dewpoint Jacket
7. Dewpoint Pant
8. Shooter Glove
9. New Sitka Mitten

I only need 9. 😆

1 timberline pants
2 ascent pants
3 jetstream jacket
4 kelvin hoody
5 kelvin pants
6 mountain gloves
7 merino gloves
8 stomfront pants
9 stormfront jacket
10 jetstream beanie

1. Ascent Pant
2. Timberline Pant
3. Kelvin Lite Hoody
4. Jetstream Vest
5. Cloudburst Jacket
6. Cloudburst Pant
7. Stormfront Gaiter
8. Ascent Glove
9. Mountain Glove
10. Merino Beanie

1, 4, and 10 can be substituted with something more of personal preference. Those are what I prefer though.

Jardo

WKR
For me, my go to items are:

1. Ascent pants (old ones not the new sub alpine)
2. 90% pants
3. Mountain pants
4. 90% jacket
5. Core lightweight hoody
6. Jet stream jacket
7. Kelvin lightweight hoody
8. Dewpoint pants and jacket
9. Stormfront gaiters
10. Jetstream beanie
11. Coldfront gloves
12. Cap

I haven't tried the timberline pants yet. Those are next on my list. I just haven't ever needed more than the mountain or 90% pants when combined with first lite base layer and my rain gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stwrt9

WKR
1. Ascent Pants
2. Core Lightweight Hoody
3. Jeatstream Vest
4. Kelvin lite Hoody
5. Cloudburst Jacket
6. Cloudburst Pants
7. Timberline Pants
8. Jetstream Jacket
9. (New) Stormfront Gaiters
10. Gunner Glove

This should get me through just about every situation that may arise throughout the year. This list is more about versatility in a variety of scenarios than sitka's system specific mantra.

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
1. Ascent Pants
2. Core Lightweight Hoody
3. Jeatstream Vest
4. Kelvin lite Hoody
5. Cloudburst Jacket
6. Cloudburst Pants
7. Timberline Pants
8. Jetstream Jacket
9. (New) Stormfront Gaiters
10. Gunner Glove

This should get me through just about every situation that may arise throughout the year. This list is more about versatility in a variety of scenarios than sitka's system specific mantra.

How often do you wear your jetstream jacket? I have basically the same items you have but don’t ever seem to find a need for my jetstream. When I’m hiking I wear a thermal and vest when I stop I use my puffy. When it rains I use my rain gear. I love the jetstream jacket but can’t find a real need to pack it. It stayed at the truck my entire time in Colorado last year and I doubt I’ll even take it to Alaska this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often do you wear your jetstream jacket? I have basically the same items you have but don’t ever seem to find a need for my jetstream. When I’m hiking I wear a thermal and vest when I stop I use my puffy. When it rains I use my rain gear. I love the jetstream jacket but can’t find a real need to pack it. It stayed at the truck my entire time in Colorado last year and I doubt I’ll even take it to Alaska this

I wear my jetstream most of the time. I think it depends on the season. I hunt the first rifle and my puffy does not come out very often. Maybe some when i sit for a while. I have not had much rain yet so my rain gear has not come out at all. My jetstream has been my go to. I know a lot of backpack hunters will not pack a softshell due to weight payoff, but I just day hunt....

Stwrt9

WKR
How often do you wear your jetstream jacket? I have basically the same items you have but don’t ever seem to find a need for my jetstream. When I’m hiking I wear a thermal and vest when I stop I use my puffy. When it rains I use my rain gear. I love the jetstream jacket but can’t find a real need to pack it. It stayed at the truck my entire time in Colorado last year and I doubt I’ll even take it to Alaska this year.

I wouldn't even consider taking it until late season when i know it's going to be cold and windy. There are def times when you could absolutely substitute it with a kelvin lite and a rain jacket, but i feel it breathes much better than a rain shell. It really comes down to personal preference. I would also rather bust brush with a jetstream than a rain shell or kelvin lite.

1. Ascent Pant- 2016 version
2. Timberline Pant
3. Kelvin Lite Hoody
4. Jetstream Vest
5. Cloudburst Jacket
6. Cloudburst Pant
7. Stormfront Gaiter
8. Mid weight shirt
9. Mountain Glove
10. Jetstream beanie/lightweight hat

#11 would be the Timberline jacket. I am really liking it so far.

Sorry for hijacking- Whats everyone hate about the new Ascent pants? I bought a pair but haven't been hunting in warm enough weather to need them, so I don't have any experience with them yet.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what I'm leaning toward.

1. Jetstream Jacket (Moss)
2. Apex Pant (Subalpine)
3. Apex Hoody (Subalpine)
4. Kelvin Lite Hoodie (Dirt)
5. Timberline Pant (Subalpine)
6. Kelvin Lite vest (Subalpine)
7. Kelvin Lite Pant (Open Country)
8. Fanatic Hoody (Forest)
9. Dewpoint Rain Jacket (Open Country)
10. Dewpoint Rain Pant (Open Country)

1. Apex Hoody
2. Apex Pant
3. Mountain Pants
4. Kelvin Lite Hoody
5. Core Heavyweight Hoody
6. Cloudburst Pants
7. Cloudburst Jacket
8. Ascent Gloves
9. Coldfront Gloves
10. Jet stream beanie

Etexag

FNG
Man I go back and forth over and over. Every time I get my gear set, they come out with something I think I have to have.

1)90% Jacket and Pant- I guess thats similar to the Mountain now
2)Stormfront Pant
3) Dewpoint Jacket
4) JetStream Vest
5)Kelvin Lite or Active Jacket
6) Kelvin Lite Pant
7)Core Shirt
8)Traverse Shirt
9) JetStream Beanie or Blizzard if extremely cold
10)Picked up a cold front Jacket for Snow Skiing and snowy hunts.
11) Shooter Gloves

Favorite Piece is actually the Sitka Cap.... I have Moss and optifade and wear it almost every day.

WaterFowl
Boreal Jacket and Pantanal Bib

Lawnboi

WKR
All you with the apex in your list, have you handled his piece? Very curious about it to replace a traverse hoody, just worried about weight.

As for a list, I could make a list of what I run, and what I wish I had. Very happy with the majority of the Sitka gear I have run.

A few pieces I really like.

1 Ascent pant, new ones, fit me, are light and tough
2 Dewpoint raingear, perfect for in the pack, buy expensive raingear has added some luck of not hitting rain much
3 Kelvin light hoody, getting the pants for 2018 if I pull a tag that needs it
4 Traverse hoody, always with me, and my outer layer 90% of the time in the fall and spring
5 All of thier warm hats, soft, warm, comfortable, ballistic and incinerator are my favorite
6 Fanatic suit, great in the treestand.
7 lightweight core hoody, I know it said no baselayers but this is my outerwear for much of the time when its warm

That's about all Iv got for items I own that I really like, I own more but wouldn't mind upgrading. 90% jacket could be replaced, could use a new pair of heavier pants.

Jardo

WKR
Sorry for hijacking- Whats everyone hate about the new Ascent pants? I bought a pair but haven't been hunting in warm enough weather to need them, so I don't have any experience with them yet.

I don't hate them, just not sure how they will hold up so haven't pulled the trigger on em yet. They are super thin which would rock in August and September as long as they'll hold up to the punishment I normally treat my gear to.

I also mostly stick to open country b/c it matches my stomping grounds better than sub alpine.

Please let us all know what you think of yours after you've got some miles on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk