3. Apex Hoody (Subalpine)
4. Kelvin Lite Hoodie (Dirt)
5. Timberline Pant (Subalpine)
6. Kelvin Lite vest (Subalpine)
7. Kelvin Lite Pant (Open Country)
8. Fanatic Hoody (Forest)
9. Dewpoint Rain Jacket (Open Country)
10. Dewpoint Rain Pant (Open Country)

Damn near perfection brother! Can't imagine a situation that wouldn't be covered with this setup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

black525

WKR
1. Timberline Pant
2. Apex Hoodie
3. Kelvin Active Jacket
4. Kelvin Lite Hoodie
5. Kodiak Jacket
6. Dewpoint Pant
7. Mountain Jacket
8. Ascent Pants
9. Kelvin Lite Pant
10. Kelvin Down Hoodie

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
All you with the apex in your list, have you handled his piece? Very curious about it to replace a traverse hoody, just worried about weight.

I checked it out at SHOT and the Western Hunt Expo. The Apex Jacket and Pant look to be just about perfect for my early season hunts and should make it into some of the cooler weather with good layers. I really liked the feel, quiteness, and thickness. We'll see after some use though.

Kotaman

WKR
I checked it out at SHOT and the Western Hunt Expo. The Apex Jacket and Pant look to be just about perfect for my early season hunts and should make it into some of the cooler weather with good layers. I really liked the feel, quiteness, and thickness. We'll see after some use though.

Yes, I checked it out in Reno at the Sheep Show. I agree with Justin, it is fairly lightweight but heavy enough to hike in late. Time will tell, but I love the look and feel of it.

Just for fun guys, what would you choose?

Western hunting, from early September to late December. Elevations from 0-12,000 ft. All weather conditions. Backpack hunting. Let's start outside of base layers. What 10 items you would choose to build your system? Ready. Go.

merino base top, traverse, jetstream jacket, kelvin active
timberland pants and merino bottom
dewpoint set

these really hinge on your hot/cold naturedness.

if someone needs help or needs a quote just let us know

Lawnboi

WKR

Good to hear. I just hope it's light enough to be a contender for the heavyweight hoody as an outerwear piece for times when it's enough., I like the pocket idea. What I hope it isn't is just heavy wool with a nylon face.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've personally got my hands on the apex pants and jacket and got to test them out, they are amazing I defiantly will not be wearing my mountain pants for archery season here in Colorado. On the other hand I do love the mountain pants because I can hunt in a few different states and be just fine with the snow.

My set up list:
1. Core long sleeve

2. Core heavy weight zip-t

3. Jetstream jacket

4. Mountain pants

5. Storm front jacket

6. Storm front pant

7. Traverse glove

8. Sitka trucker

9. Storm front gaiters

10. Gore socks

This is all in subalpine. I will swear by this pattern just because I've had really good luck with it...

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
This list cover all my western hunting from mid August to late November.

Core silk weight boxers-best I have ever used.
Core lightweight bottoms.
Core mid weight or traverse bottoms.
Core lightweight long sleeve shirts.
Traverse zip T's
Kelvin vest.
Core heavy weight hoodie.
Traverse cold weather hoodie.
Jetstream jacket.
Ascent pants 2016 version
90% pants 2016 version
Traverse gloves
Sitka Cap
Sitka beanie
Sitka jetstream beanie.

Just picked up some new mountain pants but have not used them yet.

Other items I have by other manufacturers are Rain gear, puffy jacket (that I prefer over anything by Sitka), and a 800 fill power down sweater/jacket. Mid weight windblocker Gloves and Gortex Gloves.

Last edited:

TwoTikkas

WKR
Core lightweight hoodie
Kelvin lite jacket
Timberline jacket
Merino core lightweight bottom
Ascent pant
Mountain pant
Kelvin lite pant
Thunderhead jacket
Thunderhead pant
Traverse hoodie.
Jet stream beanie

mcseal2

WKR
I'm not giving up my FL Aerowool base layers, so I'm glad we left base layers out.

Ascent pants (I have a pair I've had since 09 that have held up great)
Timberline pant
Cloudburst pant
(my Kuiu Kenai puffy pants would be in the pack to go under whatever of these I chose during later seasons)

Core LW hoody (I love this hoody over my Aerowool for warm weather, like the hood much better than the Core HW hoody)

Fanatic hoody (again like the hood better than the Core HW hoody, warmer than the LW by a lot)

Kelvin light vest
Kelvin light hoody (sized to go over the vest in December)

Mountain jacket (I love this jacket for a wind stopping shell, it's quiet and it's pretty light. I wish it had a hood!)
Cloudburst jacket

For # 10 I'm going with Mountain Glove. I have used the Traverse glove for several years on most hunts but sometimes it isn't warm enough and doesn't stop enough wind. Maybe this one is better. I'll sneak in my Aerowool liner gloves to just in case, they are a base layer right?

I like Sitka but also like items from First Lite, Kuiu, Kifaru, and Kryptek. I am not stuck on any one brand or pattern I just like stuff that works I can get bought right.

i'll just do an early season vs late season system. I hunt colorado backcounty so i'm speaking for 10-12k feet. Im a guy that likes to be cool while walking as i easily heat up and have to shed layers fast. Im am picky with my layers. It's not a full 10 items, but i feel you should be able to successfully do a 7-10 day trip with the below items. I know because i've done it. You may have to rinse out a shirt every other day to help eliminate sweat but you'll survive.

Early: You shouldn't need alot of clothing or layers for this season and can get away using ascent pants for multiple days at a time in the backcountry or take a dip and they dry fast.

1.Ascent pants
2. SSx2
3. lightweight hoody
4. kelvin lite vest
5. ascent gaiters
6. Jetstream Jacket
7. LS-Solid

Late season: This will range from late archery through late rifle.

1. Timberline Pants
2. lightweight hoody
3. SSx2
4. LS-Solid
5. Gaiters
6. Kelvin Lite vest
7. Jetstream Jacket
8. Heavy weight hoody
9. Gunner Gloves- I like leather gloves.

MtnMuley

WKR
I own or have owned close to every piece listed minus the new Apex line. One piece that would be in my top 5 that doesn't seem to get mentioned is the Stratus Jacket. I have a few and the 1st Gen with the fixed hood is my favorite.

ianpadron

WKR
1. Timberline Pant
2. Timberline Jacket
3. Core Midweight Shirt
4. Kelvin Ultralight Jacket
5. Kelvin Down Hoody
6. Mountain Glove
7. Jetstream Beanie
8. Cold front glove
9. Neck gaiter of some sort
10. Kelvin puffy pants