Sitka 90% (newer model) vs Mountain Pants

golfbum

WKR
What is the warmer and more windproof pant the 2017 Mountain Pant or the newer 2016ish 90% pant. I can get both brand new for about the same price, what would you recommend?

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Meant to add I also have a pair of timberlines and ascents.

Im not sure about the mountain pants but i have the 90% and i would say they are about the same as my timberlines just without the reinforced knees and seat.

For me I chose the Timberlines over the Mountains, because I felt like they were warmer and more windproof. The Timberlines are a little more bulkier than the Mountains because of the waterproof knee and seat areas, but to me that is worth it and I don't even notice it. The Timberlines can run a bit hot during rifle seasons if the weather is in the 60's.

Meant to add I also have a pair of timberlines and ascents.

Were you asking about the timberlines and ascent pants too, or just stating that you have them. I certainly agree with above that I prefer the timberlines over all of them, but the ascent pants are for a different purpose, not really comparable to timberline or 90%.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
I own several pairs of ascents and a pair of timberlines.

I can purchase a new pair of 90% pants or pickup a mountain pant for about the same price. I was asking more about the mountains vs 90%

I own several pairs of ascents and a pair of timberlines.

I can purchase a new pair of 90% pants or pickup a mountain pant for about the same price. I was asking more about the mountains vs 90%

Ok, I cant offer anything on the mountains, but I do like my 90%

I have and use some timberlines and have played with the mountain pants. I believe the key difference between them and the mountain are the reinforcements on the seat and knees. Maybe someone can confirm.

I bought but have not used a set of newer 90% Just looking at the construction, I think the are gong to be warmer because they have a micro grid fleece lining. It isn’t thick but a assume it adds warmth relative to the unlined pants. Since I haven’t used them, I can’t comment on actual function in the field. Just based on feel, I would call the 90% a mid to late season pant and say it’s going to be warmer than the mountain pants.

I think the 90% is going to be more warm. I also think the mountains and a base layer would be just as good in the cold because that’s what I did with my timberlines in some fairly cold weather this year. If I were trying to decide between the two, I would go mountain and layer up whe needed unless I was going to do a lot static or cold hunting and wanted a specialized pant for that.

Last thought and FWIW I think they have added a fleece lined pant back into their line up for this year.

excaliber

WKR
the Last time I looked I thought the material might have been a bit heavier on the Timberline pants compared to the mountain pants. I think they called it a high count 4 way stretch fabric. I prefer the Mountain pants over the 90% pants. The 90% pants are warmer with the grid fleece material. They would be too warm on early and mid season hunts where my Mountain pants can be used in all seasons.

Mountain pants with the right base layers get me all the way through November hunts unless it's wet.

Jardo

WKR
90% pants are warmer. I have both and the 90% is the same material lined with micro fleece. The 90%s are my cold weather pants. Mountain pants are mid season. 90% are late season snowy day pants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk