Waterproof jacket that isn't loud?

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone make a waterproof jacket that isn't really loud? I have a Kuiu Chugach but it's so loud I don't ever want to wear it. I want something light weight, packable, and durable that I can wear over my insulation layer on a regular basis to block wind and rain. Or maybe something a little heavier with some insulation but still waterproof and quiet that I could use as a general use jacket? Any ideas?

R Davis

FNG
The core4element torrent is pretty damn quiet for a rain shell. I use it for whitetail and have no complaints about the noise. Dont know where to find it though as its discontinued. Mine came from camofire circa early 14'

Etexag

FNG
Sitka Thunderhead is pretty bad ass and quiet. I keep trying to convince myself I need it.

DavePwns

WKR
I have been thinking about this lately and I believe it's actually better to go with a high rated minimalistic ultralight rain jacket that has a very high water proof rating. This is for a few reasons that I thought about.

(FYI, I have not tested these reasons, as this is just theory/logic. If I am wrong or if someone does have experience someone please let me know!)

1. In order to make rain gear quiet they likely have to add layers on top of the Gore-Tex or whatever waterproofing system. This top soft layer will add a decent amount of weight to the jacket, potentially slightly absorb some water making the jacket even heavier and harder to dry off at the end of the day.

2. If it's raining or windy enough to need a waterproof rain jacket, there will likely be more than enough ambient noise that your jacket noise will be a low concern

3. I would think that a soft shell rain jacket would have even worse ventilation than a standard hunting rain jacket

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
Does anyone make a waterproof jacket that isn't really loud? I have a Kuiu Chugach but it's so loud I don't ever want to wear it. I want something light weight, packable, and durable that I can wear over my insulation layer on a regular basis to block wind and rain. Or maybe something a little heavier with some insulation but still waterproof and quiet that I could use as a general use jacket? Any ideas?

your asking for the impossible.,
If you want a soft face jacket you will have to compromise on weight and some packablity.
The Chugach is not that loud, normally when you wear one its either windy or raining, or both.

Sitka make a soft face jacket, not sure of the name, as do Swazi and most of the European brands.

Soft face you will generally add weight, loose 'breathablity' and the jackets will hold more moisture and take longer to dry.

You cant have it all!

OP
S

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I kind of figured this was the case, but I thought it was worth asking. I'm just struggling with my layering system. What are you guys using as an outer layer when it's cold? My insulation layer are not very durable and I'm worried about them getting shredded in the thick stuff. I have a guide jacket but it doesn't insulated well, the wind cuts through it and it doesn't pack well. I was hoping to wear an insulation layer with a durable hardshell for keeping in heat, blocking wind, and then if it rains I'd be covered too, but the rain shells are just too loud. So what is everyone doing for layering? Keep in mind, I only backpack hunt so I'm concerned about weight and compressibility. Thanks!

R Davis

FNG
I think you should research the core4element torrent. Its been durable for me. It has a soft face that is pretty quiet. With base layers and my superdown jacket it is plenty warm for archery season in CO. You could pick one up pretty cheap i would think.

skierhs

WKR
You need to check out the Sitka Thunderhead pants/jackets. For having a goretex jacket it is crazy quite. It is a major game changer in my opinion.

Mt Al

WKR
I have the Sitka light weight packable goretex- whatever the name is. It's definitely louder than just a soft/fleece jacket but not as loud as others - some sound like a hay tarp!

Not perfect but, to me, a great compromise. I use it for exactly what you wrote: over insulation to block wind and rain. Has worked well for years.

twall13

WKR
Definitely heavier and won't pack as well but the Kryptek Vellus line would be quiet and add some warmth.

I don't really worry about the noise from my hard shell much since when I'm wearing it I'm either stationary glassing or the wind and weather is making more nose than my shell. I also don't usually hike around alot in my puffy so a fleece becomes my outer layer when on the move unless the weather demands a hard shell.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hunthigh1

WKR
I got sick and tired of jackets that were over priced and proved to be not even be truly waterproof. "soft shells" are complete bogus imo and i get soak through or tears on any jacket i have owned thats on the thin side. I finnaly found this and believe it to be the best rain jacket i have ever owned bar none. Its made of a quiet, soft pliable material and cut to where i can actually move without restriction.

Grundens Neptune 319
Grundens

IdahoElk

WKR
The core4element torrent is pretty damn quiet for a rain shell. I use it for whitetail and have no complaints about the noise. Dont know where to find it though as its discontinued. Mine came from camofire circa early 14'

Really quiet jacket,the downside is it takes a long time to dry.

OP
S

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I don't think that core4element jacket is made anymore. I'll have to go to my local sportsman's and check out the Sitka and Kryptec options. That Grundens jacket looks interesting, do you have any idea how much it weighs?

gbflyer

WKR
Rivers West made some quiet rain gear. Very heavy and soaked water. Also hot, sweat from the inside kept you wet anyway.

I've never found any that was perfect. Wool or synthetic pile of some sort will keep you warm when wet as long as you don't have cotton on underneath. This is how we role in SE AK when we have to be quite. We get 100" + rain annually, any and all rainwear has been thoroughly vetted.

melli075

FNG
Look at the Pnuma Selkirk line of rain gear. I like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunthigh1

WKR
Thanks guys. I don't think that core4element jacket is made anymore. I'll have to go to my local sportsman's and check out the Sitka and Kryptec options. That Grundens jacket looks interesting, do you have any idea how much it weighs?

not sure on weight, im sure if you email them they will reply. It aint ultralight. also, they do have a camo version. if thats what your into.

Cswedeen

FNG
I second the Kryptek Vellus. Hands down the best winter hunting jacket I've owned. Waterproof, windproof, insulated, and durable enough to walk through a briar patch and not think twice. Plus it is almost totally silent, as the outer shell is a fleece material. Amazing jacket at a fraction of some of the other brands.

I have used the neptune commercial fishing. Cant give you weight figure off the top of my head, check the web, but I can tell you that you will need a bigger pack if you go with something like this. It is much lighter and more pliable than heavier duty raingear like grundens herkules, but I would never take this in a pack. I would also say that one can sweat like crazy moving around in it, unless you are in REALLY cold conditions. I own the chugach and I was personally surprised at how light and quiet it was for rain gear. I sweat in the chugach also. However, it does add a nice layer over a puffy jacket, and is quite supple for movement.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk