Hooded down puffy vest?

DavePwns

WKR
I'm in the market for a hooded down puffy vest for my late September Idaho archery elk hunt, looking for an ultralight insulation layer to add to my clothing system, any recommendations / good options that fits this description?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Luke’s ultralight makes custom down vests, hooded, quarter zip, etc. gonna pick one up before September rolls around

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
I haven’t seen a lot of hooded vests. I did come across this one the other day. Looks like a cool option, but I have no experience with this brand or product. Just thought I would throw it out there.

TrueTimber Packable Light Weight Down Vest featuring TrueTimber Kanati Camo - The Official TrueTimber Store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya that's what generally looking for, i have never heard of true timber, I like the camo pattern, it says its light weight but I didn't see how many oz it is. I am surprised not many companies have hooded vests, it seems like the most practical ultralight insulating layer.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Luke’s ultralight makes custom down vests, hooded, quarter zip, etc. gonna pick one up before September rolls around
Have you tried any of his products before?

Idaboy

WKR
I just posted on this topic.checkout backcountry.com,purchased north face thermoball in camo...i think like $150....super packaable and light. Would not use as rain gear....I hunt Idaho in Sept-Oct. I haven't owned a KUIU Sitka or first light....but I have tried on lots of the Sitka gear and I like this better at this pricepoint

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
UA makes a 2-in-1 jacket with Ridge Reaper pattern. Zip off sleeves and hood. You can wear it as a vest and keep on the hood. It’s warm, water resistant and windproof. Packable and fairly quiet. I had one for awhile. Changed for something else. Still it is a Good jacket.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried any of his products before?

I haven’t. But I’ve read good reviews. Apparently the owner went through some medical issues which halted his production but he’s back and I do plan on purchasing from him. Sorry for no real world experience.

We don't make a down vest anymore, but we do make down beanies. Nicest ones around by far ;) Same sort of warmth as a hood but in a sized to fit beanie that would allow you to get that "hooded" effect in the form of a beanie whether you've got your vest on or not. People love our hats and have used them from hunting to hiking since 2009. We've had people use them up Everest, down the PCT and AT and all over the place from duck blinds in Wisconsin to high alpine hunting trips in Idaho.

Just like Lukes UL, Nunatak, Enlightened Equipment, Arrowhead Equipment, Jacks R Better and GooseFeet we also design and manufacture all of our gear here in the USA. So anything you buy supports my crew of amazing craftsman building out USA made gear :)

So if you still want that combo of a vest with the ultralight warmth you get from goose down for your head the BlackRock Gear Down Hat is what I'd recommend to fill out your kit.