Why Merino Wool as a Next to Skin Layer?

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
Merino wool is a monster when it comes to performance. It can absorb up to 30% of its weight in moisture and still feel dry. When it comes to wicking moisture away from your body, merino does the heavy lifting with a fiber that is naturally breathable. Odor control is a big deal with any hunting garment. There is good news! Merino wool is antimicrobial in nature and does an excellent job at odor control. A next to skin layer is a critical piece in any extreme layering system and comfort and mobility are key components when you are putting a layer next to your skin. SKRE uses superfine Merino wool in all of our Merino offerings. The result is a next to skin layer that is comfortable and checks all the boxes when it comes to performance.

Check out two of new Merino pieces by SKRE!

kanati_with details-01.jpg

kaibab_with details-01.jpg

Kotaman

WKR
I've only found one downside....Merino takes a while longer to dry, but the benefits outweigh this single disadvantage to me for sure.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is my first season trying merino wool I have got to admit seems like I've been missing out for years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I wear at least a merino short sleeve every day.
Machine wash cold (maybe delicate setting if I remember)
Toss in dryer on "No heat" with other clothes.
No problems.
If I had to hand wash or hang dry my merino stuff I would switch to something else.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear at least a merino short sleeve every day.
Machine wash cold (maybe delicate setting if I remember)
Toss in dryer on "No heat" with other clothes.
No problems.
If I had to hand wash or hang dry my merino stuff I would switch to something else.
I've heard washing is the hardest thing you can do to any garment do you find your merino wears any sooner than your other stuff using your washing style?

Trial153

WKR
Next to the skin is the only place I need or want Merino wool, other then socks of course.... I pretty much feel synthetics beat it out in every way, other then very multi day baselayers....

LostArra

WKR
I've heard washing is the hardest thing you can do to any garment do you find your merino wears any sooner than your other stuff using your washing style?

No, I've found the stuff to be pretty tough and that's across a few different brands. I also don't wash after a single day of wear, hunting or casual. It can be clingy with a lot of static out of the dryer. Easy to lose a Darn Tough sock stuck to something else.
It's probably true that washing is tough on all clothing but there has to be a convenience factor in play too. If I had to hand wash I probably would just avoid using it and I know my wife isn't going to volunteer.

My merino is primarily limited to short sleeve next to skin with one more long sleeve layer before going to synthetic layers.

Jauwater

WKR
Evan Hill of Hill People Gear has a video, a longhouse episode, called clothing systems. It’s worth a gander for anybody wanting a quick lesson in layering and fabrics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear socks and boxers made of Merino. All my long underwear bottoms and zip neck long sleeved tops are a poly with a bit of Merino blended in. Like it a lot better than 100% Merino as I stay much drier. Stuff is 20% as expensive and lasts 5x longer as well. Good luck!

Benjblt

WKR
I wear socks and boxers made of Merino. All my long underwear bottoms and zip neck long sleeved tops are a poly with a bit of Merino blended in. Like it a lot better than 100% Merino as I stay much drier. Stuff is 20% as expensive and lasts 5x longer as well. Good luck!
What brand is your blended stuff?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
I work as a Carpenter. Sometimes I'm outside in nasty conditions. I have used my First Lite and Kuiu wool as workwear for quite a while now. This past Christmas I wore my kuiu longsleeve light weight wool as the base layer with a First lite short sleeve over top. Then a Carhartt jacket over the two. I wore them for 5 days straight(washed on the weekend with all my other clothes), and I did that for 6 weeks straight. By friday, yeah, they started to smell, but those are 12 hour days of hard work. The Kuiu base is starting to wear a bit thin in places, but is by no means out of life. The First Lite has no real wear to be found. I have had both those shirts for 3 hunting seasons and worn them hiking, camping, fishing etc a bunch as well.

Long story short, I can't say enough good things about the stuff. To me, it is really worth the investment. I also like my Under Armor synthetics but they get a stink to them after a while, and it doesn't wash out.

I realize this is a bit off topic(my apolagies to Skre), I'm sure this Skre stuff is good to. You should send me a free shirt to test against my other wool in real world use. Ha ha, just kidding(not really, send me a shirt).

grfox92

WKR
Kinda of a side tangent but what are best practices for using and cleaning merino wool garments?

I've never heard of this. I washed and dried my Minus 33 mod weight top and bottom with the regular laundry for literally 6 years of hard use.

I have to replace them this year because I wore a hole about the size of a soft ball through the crotch due to 6 years of chaffing and swamp ass.

Are you really supposed to use special care for pre shrunk merino? if so, why?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never heard of this. I washed and dried my Minus 33 mod weight top and bottom with the regular laundry for literally 6 years of hard use.

I have to replace them this year because I wore a hole about the size of a soft ball through the crotch due to 6 years of chaffing and swamp ass.

Are you really supposed to use special care for pre shrunk merino? if so, why?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I wasn't sure if there was a best laundry method or not. This is my first time using merino. Upon further inspection I see that my SKRE kaibab merino wool garments came with included instructions.
a815246b8c5dd2cca8e42e19a9520c40.jpg
Seems pretty simple and straight forward instructions for me to follow

bruno59

WKR
I have skre and first lite wool and just turn them inside out and wash cold in machine and hang to dry never had any problems they are nice for next to skin baselayers

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Merino wool is a monster when it comes to performance. It can absorb up to 30% of its weight in moisture and still feel dry. When it comes to wicking moisture away from your body, merino does the heavy lifting with a fiber that is naturally breathable. Odor control is a big deal with any hunting garment. There is good news! Merino wool is antimicrobial in nature and does an excellent job at odor control. A next to skin layer is a critical piece in any extreme layering system and comfort and mobility are key components when you are putting a layer next to your skin.

Yep, looks like you've got it figured out.

I always laugh though when I read a thread from some tree stand hunter back east that bought some lightweight merino and froze in it sitting in a tree.......thinking it was going to keep him warm.

OP
skregear

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All, I made a mistake on the graphic for the Kaibab Top. That is 17.5 Micron, not 77.5 Micron. My apologies for the mistake.

Fantastic discussion on the wash method!