First Lite Stormtight for AK sheep hunting?

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Posting it here and in sheep forum. What are your thoughts. I have KUIU Yukon pants and its up between this and the Yukon jacket as Sitka stormfront is out of my price range. Will be running merino LS kuiu 180? i think and first ascent 800 stormdown puffy underneath if needed. Seen good and bad reviews and would like what your experiences have been. Thanks.

If it were me I’d go full Yukon. Owned Chugach NX, Yukon, and now First Lite Vapor Jacket and Stormtight pants along with a SEAK Jacket. You have a potential to be living in that jacket and pant the entire hunt, go Yukon and forget the weather.

bates

WKR
I took Yukon jacket and chugach pants on my hunt in the Brooks

I had good weather though. Rained like half the days.

Looking back I wish I would of taken just a chugach type jacket or Arc’teryx . Why is that ?

I just found that once the jacket got wet it stayed damp for a while. Little if any sun to dry stuff out.

We didn’t bust any brush and during the hikes and climbs I would get hot. Yukon turned out to be overkill for my hunt.

I brought Yukon pants and almost wore them as my only pant. Glad I didn’t take them. But again if we were lookin at rain everyday and worse conditions I could see taking them.

It kinda comes down to where are you going and what’s the weather looking like when you head out.

You will get some good info in the sheep section from regulars, they get out a lot

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Will be hunting the DCUA late (motorized) in the alaska range. Have'nt really seen much good/bad on these here in AK so I thought to put it out there. Durability and keeping dry is my most important factors in selecting the jacket. If only KUIU would put the Yukon on sale close to the First Lite I would not hesitate.

I have the original storm tight jacket. Not a bad piece but I shredded the shoulder of mine a bit the first time I busted brush. Thorns. 4-5x holes from pin holes to small 1.5 inch tears. Fixed it when I got home with tenacious tape and super glue. Not the end of the world but it sent me looking for something a bit more durable.