December Arizona Clothing

I really like the KUIU 240 weight zip-off poly long johns I've had for a few years. Very easy to put on and off and very warm if needed, either during the day or at night. Also the KUIU Super Down zip off pants. First layer is always a poly/merino blend light weight long john and zip neck tee (Paradox by Costco). This works well for me on northern sheep, moose, caribou hunts in Sept and Oct, where it can be quite cold. I sleep in it in a modest 15*F down bag too.

I was just wearing all of the above combined with Attack pants in the arctic at extreme cold temps by adding one more top layer (heavy pants) for sustained exposure. Good luck.

Based on conditions I'd always vote for some nice ultralight goose down layers. You'll obviously want some base layers and my vote on those would be Merino Wool. I find the natural layers are warmer and longer lasting than synthetic. Then for insulation going with some sort of really light weight down sweater. Pair that up with a down hat and some gloves and you'll be set. Top it off with some Waterproof Breathable shells in case weather turns wet and you'll be good for days on end and still be able to carry it all around :)

I'm not sure I've seen a down hat? I think I'm good with my Balaclava but I'm curious what your down hat is.

We also make an extreme fill level down Balaclava good for sub-zero temps but the down beanie is more of your wear around all the time hat. Our hat is a beanie style that's baffled out and hand filled with super high loft 950 fill power down. Made with super ultralight and soft nylons they are so light you forget you have a hat on. We make them to fit offering multiple sizes and sew into them a wicking "Dryline" stretch lycra headband to keep them in place. They weigh less than an ounce and compress down to nothing in your hand. As for warmth they are warmer than your typical heavy knit wool ski beanie. Tons of the long distance hikers use them because they are just so light and warmer than most other hats out there.

You should give us a check out here on our BlackRock Gear Instagram for lots of pics or here at our website which is just BlackRockGear.com. We sell to lots of hunters as well and make everything from lightweight Merino wool skull caps to warmer down hats to full on balaclavas. :)

Here is a picture of a "Stone" grey BlackRock Down hat. One of my new favorite colors for this year. It's sold out but we've got more material landing on the shop floor and will have all the colors stocked up again in the next week.

2018-01-25 12.03.40.jpg

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Thanks for posting black rock. I really like the gear. I like the concept of the down beanie. I will give it a shot this year.

Thanks for posting black rock. I really like the gear. I like the concept of the down beanie. I will give it a shot this year.

Awesome Robie! I may have to do a post up here about our gear if you think people would be interested. We only make small items like hats and mitts but the hiking/camping community LOVES our stuff. It's all made here in the USA by my crew and I and is definitely top notch using all the nicest materials. I've sold to the hunting community for years and usually make a "Hunters Orange" hat each season.

We also finally have access to some Camo prints that are light enough to turn into what we make but it's pretty custom so I'd want to buy the camo print people wanted.

We also have a sale going on for the rest of the month that got started up on Instagram and our mailing list but I'm happy to extend it here as well. Get 10% off your cart using the coupon code #blackrockgear at checkout. It's been going on all March and will be good through the month.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Awesome Robie! I may have to do a post up here about our gear if you think people would be interested. We only make small items like hats and mitts but the hiking/camping community LOVES our stuff. It's all made here in the USA by my crew and I and is definitely top notch using all the nicest materials. I've sold to the hunting community for years and usually make a "Hunters Orange" hat each season.

We also finally have access to some Camo prints that are light enough to turn into what we make but it's pretty custom so I'd want to buy the camo print people wanted.

We also have a sale going on for the rest of the month that got started up on Instagram and our mailing list but I'm happy to extend it here as well. Get 10% off your cart using the coupon code #blackrockgear at checkout. It's been going on all March and will be good through the month.

I prefer solids but I'm sure there are some on here that would like to see camo. Camo is a personal decision and generally more for the hunter less for the game.

If someone was wanting to test out a piece what would you consider your most popular? Mitts or hat?