December Arizona Clothing

robie

WKR
I'm headed to AZ the first week of December for a unit 10 elk hunt. This is just south of the Grand Canyon.

Those that live there or hunt there frequently what do you wear clothing wise? What about while glassing?

My guide recommended a 0 degree sleeping bag, he said I could be fine with a 15 but they've had some very cold snaps that first week of December.

Guide or Timberline pants? Down? Mittens while glassing?

Currently I have long johns & attack pants. Not worried about tops as I've got several layers to make it work.

I don't have any gloves or mittens so that is on the list of to buy and some warmer pants is on my list.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, Az mornings from Dec - March can be cold. It's a different cold. Az 25 degrees is about the same to me as our Utah 10 degrees. I wear merino base layer with a Corrigate guide type pant and merino glove liner with my mid glove outer.
If I am not walking a lot, I will wear a Kanab type pant with merino base.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Yes, Az mornings from Dec - March can be cold. It's a different cold. Az 25 degrees is about the same to me as our Utah 10 degrees. I wear merino base layer with a Corrigate guide type pant and merino glove liner with my mid glove outer.
If I am not walking a lot, I will wear a Kanab type pant with merino base.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking I will be ok with Attack Pants, Merio base and then grab some down pants for long glassing sessions.

Just need to grab a new sleeping bag and some gloves.

I'm coming form Houston where cold is 30.

You could use a 20 degree bag, and sleep with clothes on to. Or upgrade to a good insulated pad.
But if you wanted a new bag, this is your chance to upgrade
lol

Maverick940

Banned
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking I will be ok with Attack Pants, Merio base and then grab some down pants for long glassing sessions.

Just need to grab a new sleeping bag and some gloves.

I'm coming form Houston where cold is 30.

I tell my Arizona elk and deer and sheep hunting clients to layer their clothing and to pack accordingly. In other words, an assortment of light-weight quiet layers work better than heavy-weight items.

Brand doesn't really matter much, as long as it's quiet and light-weight and fashioned in a way that can be layered.

I'm fond of fleece clothing and that's what I advise my clients to bring when they hunt with me in Arizona, because fleece is light, it's usually water repellent, somewhat wind resistant, very quiet, and it can be layered in ways that provide functionality.

In terms of a sleeping bag, follow your guide's (outfitter's) advice. A zero degree bag isn't a bad idea in early December. I've seen three feet of snow on the ground and twenty below zero on the South Rim in late November, early December.

Enjoy your hunt!

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Thanks guys. Lots of good advice.

I will look for one more zip off layer under my pants, be it fleece or down.

I've got 2, 15 degree Marmot Sawtooth's (1 for the wife). I'm going to sell one and shop for a 0 degree bag. Last thing I want is not to sleep well because I'm freezing my tail off.

What do you guys wear in the way of gloves? I only have merinos currently and will need to buy something. Do you wear mittens while glassing? My guide told me one year they had 30 mile hour winds and a few customers couldn't take sitting in the wind glassing and came back to camp. I don't want to be that guy.

These tags are so hard to come by I don't want to go there and wish I had something else.

Maverick940

Banned
Mittens are on the official "Gear List" that's included in the hunt contract that I provide my clients. You'll want a pair of those and a thin synthetic/cotton glove (insert) to wear inside those mittens. Keep in mind that "dead air" space is what retains warmth. Dead air space is created between layers of clothing. So, a light or thin insert inside your mittens will create that "dead air" space needed to help retain heat. Also, you might want to bring plenty of chemical hand warmers, as a backup.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Mittens are on the official "Gear List" that's included in the hunt contract that I provide my clients. You'll want a pair of those and a thin synthetic/cotton glove (insert) to wear inside those mittens. Keep in mind that "dead air" space is what retains warmth. Dead air space is created between layers of clothing. So, a light or thin insert inside your mittens will create that "dead air" space needed to help retain heat. Also, you might want to bring plenty of chemical hand warmers, as a backup.

OK I'm adding them to the list. Do you have a brand/pair that is proven to work for you?

Maverick940

Banned
Keep in mind that it can also turn out unusually hot in early December. This last year was a prime example of that. My hunters and I were sweltering all through November and December. So, be sure to take some light-light cotton stuff if it looks like it's going to be hot again, next year.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Keep in mind that it can also turn out unusually hot in early December. This last year was a prime example of that. My hunters and I were sweltering all through November and December. So, be sure to take some light-light cotton stuff if it looks like it's going to be hot again, next year.

I've got plenty of clothes for hot and sweltering. That is about 10 months out of the year in Texas.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second the chemical hand warmers in the mittens. It’s like little ovens for your hands! Best thing ever on those cold windy days out there!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really like the KUIU glassing mittens for glassing. You’d probably never need them again once you go back to Texas.

Good luck on your hunt, I’ve hunted that United about 10 years ago and it was absolutely crawling with elk. We ended up with a monster, the second biggest elk I ever killed out of my 12.

Yeah, definitely get the zero degree bag. Folks who come from lower elevations don't understand how cold the nights get, even though we're in the southwest. I use one in the mountains of NM most of the year, took me years of shivering to figure that out. Between the elevation and low humidity, the heat leaves as soon as the sun goes down.
You're likely to see temperature swings of 40 degrees some days: 20's to the 60's. The sun is intense at elevation. Plan on using sunscreen. I always wear a full brimmed hat too.
I really like having a pair of insulated zip-off pants when it's really cold. You might leave them in camp the whole time, but even if you only use them for a couple hours a few mornings, they're much better than being stuck in thermal underwear when it's 55 degrees later in the day.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
Thanks for all of the input.

We hunted the Gila last October and saw the 40 degree swings from 30 to 70 each day. Puffy jacket was a lifesaver in the mornings.

I've got Glassing Mittens, 0 degree sleeping bag, puffy pants and ultralight glassing chair on my list of to buy. I'm sure it will grow but I like to allow myself plenty of time to shop for a deal or find something used.

FlyGuy

WKR
I've never hunted AZ, but for cold weather glassing mittens I don't think you can do any better than those "crab claw" mittens from firstlite.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I've never hunted AZ, but for cold weather glassing mittens I don't think you can do any better than those "crab claw" mittens from firstlite.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I've looked at them but aren't sold on the design to keep my index finger separate. I don't see myself every shooting with these on so not sure of the need.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
I elk hunted in that 30MPH wind, 7 degree season. I was running Kryptek bibs and jacket on that hunt. Stayed completely dry and warm. Slept in them at night for added insulation. Haven’t used them since.

I haven’t hunted conditions like that since, but I now layer my gear as suggested. Keep a puffy in my Pack for glassing.

Also:
- sitting pad. Something to separate you from the cold ground when glassing. I just use a piece of foam from a $19.00 sleeping mat.
- gloves: I have really taken to the FL wool knit with exposed finger tips. Use my phone a lot for maps and navigation.

Congrats on your hunt.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I elk hunted in that 30MPH wind, 7 degree season. I was running Kryptek bibs and jacket on that hunt. Stayed completely dry and warm. Slept in them at night for added insulation. Haven’t used them since.

I haven’t hunted conditions like that since, but I now layer my gear as suggested. Keep a puffy in my Pack for glassing.

Also:
- sitting pad. Something to separate you from the cold ground when glassing. I just use a piece of foam from a $19.00 sleeping mat.
- gloves: I have really taken to the FL wool knit with exposed finger tips. Use my phone a lot for maps and navigation.

Congrats on your hunt.

My face hurts just thinking about 7 degrees and 30 MPH. I like the look of those gloves to wear under some mitten. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've got the pad already and won't leave home without it. It has saved my pants one a couple occasions while glassing from rocks.

we were in AZ at about 5-6k feet over xmas for deer. it was cold. it got down to the 20s every night and we woke up to 14 degrees our last morning.

sleep system was rei quarter dome tent 1p
rei lumen 20 degree synthetic bag with a silk liner
neo air trekker pad (r value 3.2)

clothes i wore:
first lite breifs
darn tough socks
black ovis 190 merino bottoms
corrugate guide pants
these cheap miltary insulated pants for at night and glassing
Amazon.com : Military Field Pant Liner for Cold Weather Trousers - Quilted - Olive Drab Green - Genuine Army Issue (Medium Short/Regular) : Tactical And Duty Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

aerowool merino long sleeve top
chama merino hoody
sitka core heavyweight hoody
first lite uncompaghre vest
first lite uncompaghre jacket
fleece beanie
FL ballcap
FL aerowool liner gloves
sitka traverse liner gloves
(i also had a marmot precip shell that i didnt wear at all)

in the am i usually would wear merino bottoms to hike to glass under corruagte guides with aerowool top, chama, heavyweight hoody, and FL vest. once glassing id put the synthetic insulated pants on and Fl jacket on over everything if it was really cold. i also have one of those little glassing pads and its really nice to sit on cold rocks. the annoying thing was all this would come off by 10 am and then id layer back up at 5. it was 30-40 degree swings in hours so all that clothes was a pain to carry around.

i wore all my clothes to bed every night to stay warm. i had an extra pair of socks that i would put on when sleeping. heating up water and dumpiing in a nalgene and putting it in my sleeping bag to prewarm it helped helped. hand warmers were nice as well. i slept fine though once everything was on never woke up cold thanks to tylenol pm. probably wish i had one of those thermolite sleeping bag liners or a 0 degree bag so i didnt have to wear all my clothes to bed. or maybe an xtherm sleeping pad. I was surprised i thought i had too much clothes but i ended up needing everything. probably could have packed some snowboarding type gloves. i would just blow into the travers gloves to kepp my fingers warm it wsnt too bad. and maybe switch up the jackets and get a kifaru parka or sitka down jacket. i heard good things about the uncompahgre but i was suprised i was still a little chilly right before bed when static with both the vest and jacket and all the other layers i had on. my buddy had a kenai jacket and not as many layers on and didnt seem to be as cold even thought i had heard the uncompaghre was warmer. really liked how the sitka hoody covered my whole face for when it was really cold.
hope that helps its beautiful country

Last edited:
OP
robie

robie

WKR
Thanks for the detailed reply. The consensus I'm getting is that its going to be very cold once the sun goes does.

You guys have talked me into shopping for a 0 degree bag. I'm going to look for a WM Kodiak and see if I can find a deal on a used one.

we were in AZ at about 5-6k feet over xmas for deer. it was cold. it got down to the 20s every night and we woke up to 14 degrees our last morning.

sleep system was rei quarter dome tent 1p
rei lumen 20 degree synthetic bag with a silk liner
neo air trekker pad (r value 3.2)

clothes i wore:
first lite breifs
darn tough socks
black ovis 190 merino bottoms
corrugate guide pants
these cheap miltary insulated pants for at night and glassing
Amazon.com : Military Field Pant Liner for Cold Weather Trousers - Quilted - Olive Drab Green - Genuine Army Issue (Medium Short/Regular) : Tactical And Duty Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

aerowool merino long sleeve top
chama merino hoody
sitka core heavyweight hoody
first lite uncompaghre vest
first lite uncompaghre jacket
fleece beanie
FL ballcap
FL aerowool liner gloves
sitka traverse liner gloves
(i also had a marmot precip shell that i didnt wear at all)

in the am i usually would wear merino bottoms to hike to glass under corruagte guides with aerowool top, chama, heavyweight hoody, and FL vest. once glassing id put the synthetic insulated pants on and Fl jacket on over everything if it was really cold. i also have one of those little glassing pads and its really nice to sit on cold rocks. the annoying thing was all this would come off by 10 am and then id layer back up at 5. it was 30-40 degree swings in hours so all that clothes was a pain to carry around.

i wore all my clothes to bed every night to stay warm. i had an extra pair of socks that i would put on when sleeping. heating up water and dumpiing in a nalgene and putting it in my sleeping bag to prewarm it helped helped. hand warmers were nice as well. i slept fine though once everything was on never woke up cold thanks to tylenol pm. probably wish i had one of those thermolite sleeping bag liners or a 0 degree bag so i didnt have to wear all my clothes to bed. or maybe an xtherm sleeping pad. I was surprised i thought i had too much clothes but i ended up needing everything. probably could have packed some snowboarding type gloves. i would just blow into the travers gloves to kepp my fingers warm it wsnt too bad. and maybe switch up the jackets and get a kifaru parka or sitka down jacket. i heard could things about the uncompahgre but i was suprised i was still a little chilly right before bed when static with both the vest and jacket and all the other layers i had on. my buddy had a kenai jacket and not as many layers on and didnt seem to be as cold even thought i had heard the uncompaghre was warmer. really liked how the sitka hoody covered my whole face for when it was really cold.
hope that helps its beautiful country