Patagonia Capilene or Merino wool?

S

slancey

I've only ever used Patagonia Capilene, which is polyester, for a base layer, but I've read that Merino wool, although a little heavier, performs better in regulating heat and removing moisture. How do these compare up on the mountain?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I much prefer 100% merino for base layers. I even tried Patagonia's Capilene/merino blend shirts and sold them because I preferred the 100% merino.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have some heavy capilene shirts I use on the slopes, it gets stinky FYI. I've been happy with merino shirts (or merino blends like FL aerowool) in keeping the smell down while still performing well.

jorken

FNG
I have some heavy capilene shirts I use on the slopes, it gets stinky FYI. I've been happy with merino shirts (or merino blends like FL aerowool) in keeping the smell down while still performing well.

Patagonia's newer capilene base wear is treated with polygiene now FYI. I purchased a long sleeve crew and wore it everyday for a week doing typical moderately active things and it held up just fine.

Patagonia's newer capilene base wear is treated with polygiene now FYI. I purchased a long sleeve crew and wore it everyday for a week doing typical moderately active things and it held up just fine.
Good to know. I have a few patagonia capilene baselayers that I picked up during their 60% off sale years ago. It stinks pretty easily so I rarely use it. I use their wool without issue though.

Polygiene still gets smelly compared to merino but it seems to be an improvement over non polygiene versions.

OP
S

slancey

I experienced the odor factor as well. Merino looks to be worth a try.

bounds

WKR
Polygiene still gets smelly compared to merino but it seems to be an improvement over non polygiene versions.

This. No matter what claims are made, a treatment breaks down over time. I've had the same Sitka merino 1/4 zip since 2010. It's the only next to skin layer I've worn since then and has proven itself time and again. It never stinks and whether hot/cold, wet/dry it's on me and keeping me comfortable. It's also my opinion that merino is much more comfortable against the skin when it's soaking wet. It doesn't have the clammy feeling synthetics give me.

dapesche

WKR
Merino for me.

I bought a rab base layer with polygeine and it did not work. They've discontinued that shirt as well. Now have their base layer merino+ which is merino and the 37.5 tech that first lite uses. Much happier.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
So are you saying that it doesn't wick the sweat away from your skin, and stinks of body odor after wearing it for several days straight?

Basically, I'm going away from any base layer. The merino stays wet longer and doesn't offer any warmth for me. It only makes me hot and sweat more(to be fair, all base layers do), once I start moving. I'm gonna give the synthetic zip off base layers a try this upcoming year. I'll put them on when I get to where I'm going. The body order issue, isn't an issue for me if I don't sweat in the first place.

I'm sure this doesn't work for everyone, but I've learned over the years that this system will be best for me. I'm just done with fighting the whole wearing base layers while moving thing.

I should have elaborated more in my initial post.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The body order issue, isn't an issue for me if I don't sweat in the first place.

Ya, merino excels for "active" hunting for days on end in the backcountry for moisture management and not stinking. I certainly wouldn't use it for warmth, as I've never found it to be very warm at all.

pirogue

WKR
Just remember that all merino wool is not equal quality. Some brands you know where the wool came from, some you don't.

I have and use both. First lite, kuiu and icebreakers in merino. Patagonia, kuiu and Sitka in synthetic.

Hiked, skiing and hunting in capelene for decades.

Merino tends to do better for odor control for me and I think works pretty well. I find that it never feels completely dry once wet in the field.

Capelene and more broadly synthetics tend to move sweat a bit better for me but usely stink more after a couple of days. I do find that they dry better for me. My skin and the shorts just feel bone dry after a while where as merino still feels clammy.

I tend to pull out the synthetics if I am expecting to be wet like in rainy weather or something. When it is dry I don’t really have a strong preference and tend to focus on what matches my outfit best. :)

Agross

WKR
I absolutely love my merino base layers. I wish I would've switched a long time before I did, but couldn't justify paying that much money for base layers. I tend to run a little warm and sweat easily. With the merino I don't sweat as much and more importantly, don't get that cold clammy feeling. I was also blown away by how many times I could wear them and they don't stink at all. I'll never go back.

i've got pieces of capilene that get regular use and are probably over 10 years old. my sitka core and traverse base layers are over 5 years old and get washed a couple of times of week during hunting season and are still going strong. for durability and wicking synthetic is hard to beat. the only downside is the stink that i can see.

Bigtex

FNG
The advantages of capeliene are increased warmth when wet and faster drying than merino. Additionally similar weight capeliene seems to be warmer than wool. For these reasons, I have ditched my Merino for a capeliene thermal weight quart zip hoody and thermal weight bottoms. For a best of both, I can use any merino tshirt underneath as temps change throughout the day. While warmth to weight ratio is my primary concern, merino smells less than capeliene over multiple days.