Gear in tall options??

marktripp

FNG
I’m trying to gather gear for my first ever backpacking and Montana elk hunt if I’m lucky enough to draw one. I’m 6’3” with a 36” instead and long arms so I need tall versions of pants, jackets, base layers etc. Anyone know where I should be looking? I’d also take any advise or recommendations of brand, type, style, etc. it will be a mid September hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
Sitka is releasing many of their jacket options in tall this year. 2018 line should drop in mid-late June. You'll need some breathable bases, the core lightweight series is good for tops, and depending on the thickness of your legs, the ascent pants could work, but they are too skinny for me. Insulation layers will be needed for variable September weather, I prefer synthetic to down. You'll definitely need a rain shell, but I wouldn't bother with rain pants as most pants have a DWR finish, but get some quality gaiters and waterproof boots to combat wetness on the lower half. I use Kenetrek Mountain extremes because of their rigidity, high ankle support, and general robustness, but boots are highly specific to the user.

Also check Beyond Clothing. They retail is super expensive but they sometimes run sales. I was lucky and grabbed a set off of eBay. Quality is above arcteryx and other high end stuff. Plus it fits!! No I am looking to add a few more pieces. Stuff should last a lifetime.

I have a 34 inch inseam. I find the tall first lite pants (corrugates) and Sitka in tall and regular work for me. Not sure if they would for you.

I have long arms. Wear a 36-37 sleeve. I have found Sitka tops and jackets work for me best with first lite being second best. UA and my couple of kuiu shirts are cut shorter. For reference I am also rocking a xxl so that adds to length.

Steadman

WKR
6’ 2” here with a 36” inseam. I haven’t tried sitka but all of my first lite pants in long, are long enough. As mentioned above kuiu runs short. I’ve found first lite yops to be long enough sleeve wise as well. As for a Sept hunt you could run into 80’s and hot to 20’s and snow. I just layer and there’s quite a few podcasts with great info on that as well. Kifaru cast has a couple as well as gritty bowman.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’m trying to gather gear for my first ever backpacking and Montana elk hunt if I’m lucky enough to draw one. I’m 6’3” with a 36” instead and long arms so I need tall versions of pants, jackets, base layers etc. Anyone know where I should be looking? I’d also take any advise or recommendations of brand, type, style, etc. it will be a mid September hunt.

I’m 6’3. My Sitka pants in Tall are great. I had to upsize the Sitka jackets one full size thiugh to get enough length on my arms. I also ordered some stuff from Kryptek. The jackets are great. Bought my usual size of XL and have plenty of length on my arms. Also have Kryptek pants in Long and perfect. Think the inseam is 35. Whatever it is, it works well especially with boots.

I found that UA shirts are fine. I haven’t tried some of the others brands mentioned.

OP
M

marktripp

FNG
I forgot to mention the real problem is taking a size medium top and a 32” waist. I use to just up size when I was in a L or XL but I look like a drowned rat now if I do that. Rifle season i do have some big stuff that works for length, just don’t want to have all that extra while bow hunting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A lot of my merino base tops are short sleeve, and the long sleeve ones don't need to come to my wrists.......it's a base layer. For base merino bottoms the only ones I've found to fit are Minus 33 medium weight in a Tall. They are a 230gm weight instead of super lightweight, but my legs don't seem to mind. Even 230 weight is pretty thin in merino.

As for shirts and pants.......I'm still using Microtex and Microtex Lite and still searching for something I like that fits for when those wear out. Haven't found it yet. Even a lot of the newer stuff in a 36" inseam is too short and too tight, and I'm skinny.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I find the LLBean midweight 100% merino base layers in Tall are actually a bit long which is great. I have a 37.5 inch arm and the stuff fits well and covers to my wrist. I also find it’s the best base layer I’ve had to include UA, Sitka, Kryptek, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, Smart Wool, Ice Breakers and Woolx. Woolx is the second best base layer. You might want to try the LLBean stuff.

BluMtn

WKR
Wait till you start looking for a 34" waist and 38 or 40" inseam. There are very few outdoor clothing makers that offer anything over a 35" inseam. I guess we are not a big enough market for them to bother with. I have Skre, Kryptek, cabelas, and a few others that are in a "tall" size. Have to wear gators to cover the tops of my boots.

Whip1

FNG
I have a 36" inseam and first light pants don't work. I have to wear gaitors.

MTSabo

WKR
I am 6'4" and normally wear a 36" inseam pant. I like sitka tall pants but they aren't quite long enough to be perfect. The knee pads in their timberline pants are a little too high and they don't quite touch the floor when I stand without boots on to give you an idea. The sitka jackets do not fit me, but I would definitely be interested if they do start making tall sizes. The kifaru Lost park parka fits me pretty good even though it is not a tall size. I have been less and less impressed with ll bean stuff but I do wear base layers and goretex rain gear from them. Their knifes edge pants are nice and super tough but only come in black.