Sitka Coldfront GTX Gloves or OR Arete Gloves?

jbw899

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gearing up for late season AZ elk hunt and am looking for a pair of warm gloves, mainly to use while glassing. Most of my gear is Sitka but the reviews I can find on the Coldfront gloves aren't exactly stellar. Anyone have experience with them, if so, what are your thoughts? I have read good things about Outdoor Research Arete gloves and am thinking about picking up a pair of them. Open to other suggestions. Thanks for your feedback.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I would go with the OR. The Sitka gloves were ok at best. Honestly, I'm not even sutre where mine are anymore as I haven't worn them in a year. OR makes great gear and my OR gloves (not arete though) are always on point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
OR gloves are awesome. I have both gloves and mittens from OR. Great stuff. Most of the hunting gloves I own are not as warm as I had hoped. One exception is the Kryptek Norlander Merino glove which surprised the hell out of me. Awesome glove. But I’d say they are best in cool as opposed to cold conditions. So don’t think they’ll work for your trip.

If you go Sitka, let us know. The jackets and pants I have from Sitka are very well made and work as described. Good stuff.

wyosteve

WKR
I recently got a pair of the Stormfront, but have not had the chance to use them. My initial impression was not ecstatic. I got the XL and they are pretty snug and don't seem to be thickly insulated. I have an older pair of the Kuiu Northstars, (I think that's the model) and they have worked well in -9 temps. Thought I'd try the Sitka's since I got them on sale, but they might get put up for sale. Another option I'm going to try are the First LIte Grizzly mitts.

KurtR

WKR
i use the the light weight sitka gloves and then put a pair of 20 dollar of wool mittens over top and stay warm down in to the negatives. It is a way more versatile system. I have the cold front and they are not that warm in my opinion.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think both gloves are pretty good, but a tad different in design. Have you handled both pairs? IMO the Sitka are more usable in terms of working with your hands, the OR gloves are bulkier. The Sitka Coldfront GTX has Primaloft insulation, the OR just has a fleece layer for insulation. But, the OR has a liner glove, which I like. IMO they are both designed for different uses. I have had the Coldfronts since around Christmas. Have mainly run them training the dog. Handling wet muddy bumpers and dead pigeons in cold, wet weather. So far pretty happy with them. I think the ORs, while a great glove, would be to bulky for how I have been using the Coldfronts. Hope that helps...