Tough outdoor pants

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I've been thinking about getting parana pants for awhile. Are they flame resistant do you know? I have so many nylon/polyester pants that I paid more then I liked with burn holes in them from embers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use dickie brand pants from Walmart. Built like carharrts, but about $20-$25. They don’t dry real quick, but they are tough ass pants.

Agross

WKR
I use dickie brand pants from Walmart. Built like carharrts, but about $20-$25. They don’t dry real quick, but they are tough ass pants.
This

I starting wearing these for work( concrete construction), a couple years ago. They are a lot lighter than jeans and actually last longer. They are light wait and durable. Plus they have many styles and colors to choose from. All I wear for work now.

ErikM

FNG
Thumbs up for Fjallraven Vidda Pros. I use for daily wear and any outdoor activity. They sell a wax for more water shedding/wind blocking. I’ve been eyeballing those Pnuma Tenacity pants as my next purchase. Pnuma states lifetime warranty so that’s a plus with their price tag. There is a previous post in this section on Pnuma Clothing.

I love KUIU Attack pants but they are no good in blackberry brush of coastal BC. They snag and get runners over there. In the dry interior and up in northern BC I find them the best. Heavier wool pants for wet days or Carharts for the dry days will work well for your application. Good luck.

Last edited:
For just hiking and scouting i LOVE my Prana Zion Stretch pants. I have two pair, one in Mud and one in the Dark Khaki and they have been awesome. If im going to be hunting like small game or pheasant in briars or something and dont need my camo Kryptek stuff I use my First Lite Corrugate Guide pants in Dry Earth, also great pants and have been extremely durable. In that light though STAY AWAY from FL Obsidians, not nearly as durable as their Corrugates. But for just scouting/hiking my Pranas definitely are what Im wearing for breathability, durability, and they even shed the morning dew and light rain.

Greg Beck

WKR
I wear Eddie Bauer Guide pants almost daily and love how they fit and how comfortable they are! However they are not tough in my opinion. Slid on gravel one day with a brand new pair and tore a good hole in the knee. Wiped on on slick grass with another pair and made a shiny slick spot on the knee that almost tore. Embers make little holes right away. I wish they were a little tougher but I'm hard on pants!

amp713

WKR
So I grabbed a set of prana Zion off Amazon ($50 in my size and the color I wanted) and took them out this week. Hail, rain, snow, wind and lots of waist high sagebrush. They held up great, fit awesome, are light and flexible. A little bit light for what I was doing but I still stayed warm. Alot of other guys cab vouch for them as well!

Last edited:

krohboy

WKR
I wear Pranas and the Wrangler pants. Honestly the Wranglers are an awesome piece of clothing price considered. I wear them daily for work and on scouting trips and they have held up great. At 20 bucks a pair they are hard to beat.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm looking for something more comfortable as well for a tough pant. Have plenty of tech hunting pants, but they get eaten up here at home in the brush shed hunting and stuff. I'm interested in some of the fjallraven pants.

I usually just use some 511s, or a pair of nylon mtn hardwear that are tough as snot, but after 5 miles I can tell I'm not wearing my tech hunting pants.

mdp22

FNG
Mountain Hardwear Piero pants. Last forever and dry well. Kinda expensive but you can find deals on them every once in awhile.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Sitka Timberline Pants are my favorite for outdoor pants. Cant beat the padded waterproof knees and butt area. I own 2 pair in Solid Color and wear them when Im out backpacking or hunting. I own about 12 pairs of the Prana Zions also that I use for everyday use. Great Pants. Also the Fajlaraven pants are pretty nice. The material doesn't stretch though so can feel constricting. At least that is what I experienced with them.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
What wranglers? I did a search and couldnt find what was mentioned before?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

krohboy

WKR
What wranglers? I did a search and couldnt find what was mentioned before?

They can be found online but it can be thought to make sure you get the right pair. Walmart has them look for the black inside waistband.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have four pairs of the pants mentioned above. They are fairly light in between kuiu attack and tiburons if that helps. I wear a 170 merino under them if temperatures won’t go above fifty. They did pretty well hiking in ninety degree heat too. Nothing special in durability but exceeds what you might expect for the price. Fast drying. After a few washes they are a little quieter than jeans.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I really like the fjallravens. What is that g1000 material like? Thanks guys learning a lot here. The fjallravens look like kinda what l had in mind if they shed water a little or at least dry faster than jeans.

The Fjallraven is great. Need a bit more waterproofing or warmth in the winter, add wax. want them to run cooler less wax. the G1000 is good. They are tuff pants...warning though once you buy one pair of FjallRaven pants you will be hooked. I wear mine constantly and only wash them sporadically.