Tough outdoor pants

It is just a poly cotton blend, I think. Personally, I would compare it to tough jeans in terms of how fast it gets wet in a steady rain. Maybe I didnt wax mine enough. I dont use them for their water repellency and for me, I could take it or leave it. I think they are a tough, comfortable, and feature rich pant. When I tried them on, they were so comfortable I knew I was going to buy it.

That said, based on their marketing I think they over play the G1000 ability to shed water. It DOES shed some, but nothing too amazing. Waxing the pants does help shed wind though, IME. They have some stores, you might see if one is close enough for you to swing by and try a pair. They stand up well to wet brush, and I dont think twice about bushwacking, just go for it.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
Where I live and hike we have a saying...cotton kills. I would never wear cotton any time during the year. If it gets wet, it will never get dry quickly and hypothermia can be a serious risk.

I know people in areas, such as Alaska, that in winter are always below 0F wear canvas mukluks. They are the exception. I can't think of a single reason to wear cotton unless you are in a hot and arid climate. Most models of the Falljaven pants are 35% cotton which turned me away from them immediately.

YMMV

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
It kinda sounds like the fjallravens might not be different enough from jeans to justify 2-3x the cost.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to beat the Prana Zion for that. Super tough, super comfortable, light and functional. Good fit, too! The First Lite Corrugates are nice too but the sizing is a little funky on those for me. Anything made of nylon is going to be a good bet for durability and comfort. I did a video on the Prana Zion’s a while back, check it out, hopefully it helps!

Prana Stretch Zion Review - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I have a pair of non stretchy polyester pants that I absolutely love. They're really tough and light but still feel substantial and resist the stickers. I've never really ran across to others like them. Seems like a lot of these pants are nylon. Is polyester a good thing? Or is nylon just like it?

PA_Hunter8

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of non stretchy polyester pants that I absolutely love. They're really tough and light but still feel substantial and resist the stickers. I've never really ran across to others like them. Seems like a lot of these pants are nylon. Is polyester a good thing? Or is nylon just like it?

Nylon is inherently tougher (comparing one fiber of nylon to one fiber of poly) which allows the pants to be woven looser, using less material to achieve the same strength. So nylon pants tend to be equally durable or more durable for the same weight with increased stretch and breathability over Poly. Both are great materials, but if you look at mountaineering or hiking clothing, nylon is almost always the material of choice. Until recently, companies had difficulty printing camo patterns on nylon, which is why polyester was used for such a long time for hunting clothes.

I’ve had great luck with the Prana and Wrangler pants. I’m a big fan of Kuiu clothes but the attack pants do not stand up to thorns and briars as well as my Pranas, Wranglers or FL Corrugates. The attack pants get runners from every thorn they come in contact with and the others only get one very occasionally. I find the Pranas on sale from time to time for $50 and buy them up. The price of the Pranas and Wranglers makes the occasional rip no big deal, in my mind. All pants will rip. Even my Fallravens have gotten ripped; but when THEY got a rip I wanted to puke because of how much they cost. I’d get some Prana Zions or Brions or a pair of Wranglers and give them a try. Other than being ‘lightweight’ they ought to fit your needs pretty well. They dry out VERY quickly with a little breeze and some activity.

The Kuiu Tiburon pants are really tough and dry really quickly but are made for hot weather. They’re great for summer hunting in Texas because they breathe almost like mesh but I’ve never tried them in cooler/colder weather; and they’re not inexpensive.

rayporter

WKR
I like rain chaps, light weight and they turn briars and are water proof. because they are open at the top they ventilate well and you don't feel damp and sticky all the time. when you get out away from the briars and wet stuff they dry very fast [ and pack up small, if you want to remove them]
Brush Buster Chaps | Dan's Briar Proof

Where I live and hike we have a saying...cotton kills. I would never wear cotton any time during the year. If it gets wet, it will never get dry quickly and hypothermia can be a serious risk.

I know people in areas, such as Alaska, that in winter are always below 0F wear canvas mukluks. They are the exception. I can't think of a single reason to wear cotton unless you are in a hot and arid climate. Most models of the Falljaven pants are 35% cotton which turned me away from them immediately.

YMMV
Yeah, cotton kills. Pretty hard to get it wet when its freezing out though. I will go out on a limb and say that anything wet will kill you. I wouldnt trust wool either. Will it retain body heat more than cotton even when wet? Yes. Will it be cold to get wet in wool? Yes. The key is to stay dry. Same debate all the time with down vs synthetic. Wet synthetic isnt comfortable nor very warm either. The key is staying dry. I wouldnt go out in the pouring rain without rainpants, no matter what I wear. But for moderate precipitation bushwacking, there are much tougher pants out there than lightweight stretchy pants.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Im liking the scandenavian stuff. Are there any other brands to check out like fjallraven and haglof?

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I just got two pairs of the wrangle outdoor pants. They seem pretty nice. Nylon doesn't seem much different then the vertx and 5.11 pants I have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agross

WKR
I just got two pairs of the wrangle outdoor pants. They seem pretty nice. Nylon doesn't seem much different then the vertx and 5.11 pants I have.

Do they fit pretty true to size?

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Do they fit pretty true to size?
I would say they fit true to size. I couldn't find 34x32 but I found 36x32 at Wal-Mart and target. A little loose but nothing insane and a belt fixed it. I usually wear a 34 and the 36 waist fit like a slightly oversized 34. They don't just fall down without a belt either though. The length is accurate. I found the pair from the wrangler website at Wal-Mart but the wife had to go to target and found the actual "outdoor" pant there. The actual outdoor pant lacks an actual cargo pocket. Instead it's a vertical pocket that's pretty shallow. Might fit a light weight pair of merino gloves or beanie or your tags and other docs. Not a deal breaker. Going to take them out by deckers here in Colorado and see how they do. I don't have any worries though. They seem pretty solid.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Hey by the way does any of you know what exactly the difference is between The Prana Zion and The Prana Brion?

quent

Lil-Rokslider
Hey by the way does any of you know what exactly the difference is between The Prana Zion and The Prana Brion?

I do not. On the site it looks like it's just features.

Gorp2007

WKR

The Zion has a looser fit, cargo pocket, and pull tab on the waistband.

The Brion is the same material, but in a slimmer cut and just 4 pockets like what you'd get on a standard pair of jeans. No pull tab.