Might have a problem.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Hey folks. I need a little advise. I threw my hat in the ring and applied for my Colorado deer tag. (The last week of October) Here is my quandary. I've got my clothing layers pretty well dialed in,but. This hunt may include a daily pre dawn atv ride in some COLD conditions. I'm thinking some additional insulation is in order,but it needs to be less than bulky. What ever I choose,has to live in my pack all day while hunting. Currently my system consists of a Timberline shell over a Kelvin lite,over various under garments. Usually my favorite combination of the Sitka Core lite hoody and an Under Armor 2.0/3.0 top. On the bottom I usually run with one of the performance bottoms followed by the Under Armor 3.0/4.0,and the Sitka Mountain pant on top. I'm thinking of adding one of the zip off puffy pants to the line up. Not much for wind resistance though on the atv ride.

I've got a fair amount of room in the pack,but don't want to lug a bunch of excess around all day. It the Eberlestock Mainframe and Super Spike Duffel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What about an outer layer that has some type of wind proof material (Sitka makes several), then leave it in a dry bag at the ATV? You will only need it when riding on the ATV. Leaving it with the ATV you won't have to lug it around all day. You can also hide it in the brush somewhere near the ATV if you're concerned with it "walking off".

You need some goose down. Grab a down sweater like the Montbell Plasma or Ex Light as a high end example of some of the nicest ones around. There are many similar down sweaters though that are cheaper. A light down layer is going to give you the most warmth for the weight and space.

I also mentioned to another guy here that had never heard of the BlackRock Hat I actually make myself ;). I forget people haven't heard of our small company, but we make down hats and mitts. Essentially ultralight insulation layers that the long distance hikers love since they are so extremely warm and light just disappearing into your jacket pocket.

If you are on an ATV wearing a helmet the other nice thing is that our hats are so light and thin they compress and fit well under helmets but still give you a lot of warmth. We have lots of skiers and bike commuters that have and use them under their helmet all day.

I would also look into some additional light layers of Merino Wool. Anything in the 180 to 220 GSM fabric weight range is going to be a really light wool that will add a few degrees if not more and still pack small in your day pack.

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Get an old snowmobile suit at the Goodwill and leave it at the ATV. No need to drop a bunch of money on something you just need for a quad ride.

Get some cheap snowmobile gloves and a good baklava or full face helmet and leave them on the bike. I find that as long as my hands and neck/head are warm when riding the rest of me does good if the clothes have at least some wind resistance. Gaiters too - lots of wind can come up around the bottom of the pants and chill your legs pretty good.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I’m hunting off an 4x4 or a snow machine, I wear bunny boots and car heart bibs, I also have some cabelas trans Alaskan mitts. I just leave that stuff at the vehicle when I hike off.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
I told the brother in law I just might as well wear Carheart bibs. I'm with you loggerchas. I don't fare well if my neck is cold. I always have a neck gaiter in the pack. Hands too. I hate mittens. But my insulated elk skin jobbies are the cheese. Wear them plowing snow with the quad.

Jardo

WKR
My elk hunts are exactly like this. I use a fleece baclava, kelvin pants and coat and some ski gloves. They stay with the 4 wheeler. I always wear a full face helmet too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have enough insulation you just need to block the wind. When I snowmobile I wear a base layer a mid layer and an uninsulated gortex shell as my outer. With your hunter layers just add something to stop the wind and snow puddles and stuff and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk