Sitka Pants, need side vents

If anyone has some pull at Sitka, tell their design team that they need to start putting some side vents in their pants. I love their gear, but for early season sheep and warmer weather hunts, I'm forced to use pants with side leg vents. The group of guys I hunt with all feel the same way and can't figure out why they don't offer a pant with this feature? If you need some prototype field testing, PM me I'd be glad to field test some prototypes this season and provide feedback.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
I agree 100%
Sitka needs vents!
That is the main reason I don't own any Sitka pants.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
The Timberlines with vents would be the greatest pants ever created.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
S
Shorts won't cut it, knees get too exposed. Coming off a mountain loaded heavy in warm weather is an ideal pant vent situation. I'd gladly pay a premium to have them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
S
When I'm counting grams in my pack, shorts are definitely not something I want to tote around. Plus, there's always the case that it could dump snow up here on an early season hunt as well, which has happened. Side zips give enough ventilation to deal with a heavy and sweaty hike, especially when wearing gaiters, which really trap the heat around the lower legs.

ianpadron

WKR
Shorts won't cut it, knees get too exposed. Coming off a mountain loaded heavy in warm weather is an ideal pant vent situation. I'd gladly pay a premium to have them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I agree 100%, I rock shorts while scouting most of the time because I'm either high on a ridge or on a trail... But once I'm actually hunting off-trail and beating brush, shorts = legs getting absolutely demolished... It has happened to me in the past and it is not fun to have gashes all up and down your shins. Not to mention if you're lucky enough to find some stinging nettles or poison oak brush.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
Same here, can't figure out why every early season pant out there doesn't have hip or thigh vents on the side?!? I've explored putting them into the Ascents myself but couldn't get around the cargo pocket placement.

Kotaman

WKR
Same here, can't figure out why every early season pant out there doesn't have hip or thigh vents on the side?!? I've explored putting them into the Ascents myself but couldn't get around the cargo pocket placement.

The Cargo Pockets on the new Ascents also act as vents. If you notice the pockets are a thin mesh, open them up and you have vents.

The Cargo Pockets on the new Ascents also act as vents. If you notice the pockets are a thin mesh, open them up and you have vents.
no they dont. doesnt work anywhere close to as well as hip vents. im not a huge kuiu fan but the the kuiu tiburons breathe way better so thats what im forced to run in hot weather. for 190$ just put hipzips in your ascents its not that hard john

i agree 100% with the OP. put hip vents in your pants. no idea why sitka and first lite cant figure this out.

Jardo

WKR
I'm with bojangles... Sitka would do well to run hip zips. This is one area where kuiu and skre are kicking Sitka and FL's butt. The tiburons can really dump heat when I open em up. And no, the vented pockets aren't even close to the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are the tiburons durable? At least as durable as the attacks or Eddie Bauer guide pants? I’m looking for a summer hiking pant. I don’t like to wear shorts in the woods and sometimes one must travel off trail. Last summer I wore my Eddie Bauer pants and boy did they pick up a lot of burrs.

Kotaman

WKR
no they dont. doesnt work anywhere close to as well as hip vents. im not a huge kuiu fan but the the kuiu tiburons breathe way better so thats what im forced to run in hot weather. for 190$ just put hipzips in your ascents its not that hard john

i agree 100% with the OP. put hip vents in your pants. no idea why sitka and first lite cant figure this out.

It may not do what a side vent does, but it does provide some relief, as do the vented pockets. For those of us NOT hunting in Hawaii, I find it quite adequate for early season in most places. The whole tiburon Pant is vented AND has hip vents, if I hunted Hawaii, that’d be my pant as well.

I've hunted a lot of places and most of those places during hunting season have not had me wishing my pants had more vents. Now, if I regularly hunted Hawaii or the Desert, maybe I'd think differently, but in the fall and the environments I hunt hip vents just aren't a deal breaker for me.

For me this fits the category of #whitegirlproblems :)

Last edited:

Jardo

WKR
Are the tiburons durable? At least as durable as the attacks or Eddie Bauer guide pants? I’m looking for a summer hiking pant. I don’t like to wear shorts in the woods and sometimes one must travel off trail. Last summer I wore my Eddie Bauer pants and boy did they pick up a lot of burrs.

So far so good for me. I wouldn't hike through raspberry bushes with them but for normal early season, they are hard to beat. Tiburons are my go to pants for hunting in Hawaii.

I agree 100%. I’ve tried Sitka pants and they are so miserable compared to kuiu with hip vents I’ve sold them all or currently have them for sale. Until you have used a pant with hip vents you don’t really understand how much more effectivly you can manage your body temperature. I commented pretty heavily on the first lite thread a few months ago and basically Kenton said he didn’t see or understand the need but after the huge number of comments on that thread he said they would look into it this year. The most effective venting kuiu pants I have are the guides due to the huge slash pockets and hip vents and thigh pockets. I’ve tried all kuiu pants except the chinook.

So far so good for me. I wouldn't hike through raspberry bushes with them but for normal early season, they are hard to beat. Tiburons are my go to pants for hunting in Hawaii.

Thanks I was wanting a summer hiking pant I don’t like to wear shorts in the woods.