Cabela's Wooltimate vs FirstLite?

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Just as the title states. I'm looking at wool pants so Obsidians vs the wooltimate and a midlayer/outerlayer sweater so wooltimate quater zip hoodie vs the Sawtooth? Now at full retail they are about equal but when on sale the wooltimate is 50% if you can find it. I really like the wooltimate gloves and hats which I have but also know that wooltimate is really only ~23% wool where the firstlite will be much more. Is the first light worth it in your opinion? Trying to decide before this March 27 pre order. I'm planning on using them on my first ever elk hunt in 2019 so I do have time to buy but would also be using them in the flat lands of WI for deer, and small game which mean a fair amount of brush busting potential.

I will say I am planning on a first light Chamberlin and I might get the Obsidians in a solid color anyway, I'm not a "everything needs to be camo!" kind of guy. (But my 5+ different styles of camo are working on my ocd lol).

Thanks

excaliber

WKR
All the Wooltimate pieces I've handled are heavy. There is no way I would want to wear these on an elk hunt or out busting brush. There are so many better options.

Agree with excaliber, I have had both Wooltimate and FL - for treestand hunting in KS, Wooltimate is fine, when I'm out west there is no way I would wear wooltimate - way to heavy and bulky for me. FL hands down if you can afford it.

I like wooltimate myself. I think FL is overrated. I have a couple of Chama's I like though.

Look at your budget. Save a bit more and support a USA made company. Look up Day One. It is not off the charts expensive. Buy once, cry once as they say.

Good luck. 280

dotman

WKR
The wooltimate is really heavy and bulky, they really are within two different categories. I wouldn’t want to be hiking far in the wooltimate even in really cold weather.

mcseal2

WKR
Wooltimate is very heavy as others have said. I don't even hike to my whitetail blinds in my wooltimate coat, I'll carry a pack to haul the warm layers so I don't sweat on the way in. It's good for really low activity and cold. I seldom even use it predator hunting unless it's below zero or windy. Really I don't use wooltimate nearly as much I used to since I got some better layering clothing and wind-proof shells.

The Sawtooth I might not hike up the mountain in, but will usually leave on for cooler temps as I hike a ridge and glass for example. I use it predator hunting a lot too and walk in it. The Obsidian pants are really thin and really quiet. I love wearing them but the ASAT pair I got for use around home I tore a big hole in after only a few trips on a thorny bush. They aren't super durable compared to a Sitka or Kryptek synthetic pant, they need treated differently.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info everyone, looks like wooltimate might be a good one to jump on on a good sale purely for those long cold stand sits in November but I'll see what I can swing and what the new prices are gonna be for firstlite on the 27th.

LostArra

WKR
I love my Wooltimate gear for deer hunting but I carry most of it to my treestand in a backpack. Much too heavy for hiking the elk woods. I'm not a FL fan and get by with much less pricey clothing even in brutal cold Wyoming rifle season.

I have read that Wooltimate is to be discontinued since the takeover by Bass Pro so buy it while you can! The vest is my go-to treestand deer hunting option.

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Wooltimate gear for deer hunting but I carry most of it to my treestand in a backpack. Much too heavy for hiking the elk woods. I'm not a FL fan and get by with much less pricey clothing even in brutal cold Wyoming rifle season.

I have read that Wooltimate is to be discontinued since the takeover by Bass Pro so buy it while you can! The vest is my go-to treestand deer hunting option.

Regarding the discontinued, I saw that the website had been saying that but when I contacted cabela's about it they stated it was only for the season and would be back. Now that could be mistaken or not but if Cabela's gets rid of wootimate completely that would be a big mistake in my book.

LostArra

WKR
Regarding the discontinued, I saw that the website had been saying that but when I contacted cabela's about it they stated it was only for the season and would be back. Now that could be mistaken or not but if Cabela's gets rid of wootimate completely that would be a big mistake in my book.

They dropped Micro Tex clothing which was stupid and the reason I'm wearing see-thru Micro Tex pants in early archery season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
They dropped Micro Tex clothing which was stupid and the reason I'm wearing see-thru Micro Tex pants in early archery season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I bought 10 pairs of those microtex pants when they were $25. They are really nice.

Laker

FNG
The wooltimate hoodie to me is the best thing going. I have it in snow camo, and wished I had gotten the pants at the time. Their discontinued now unfortunately. I wear FL base layers underneath and am good for any cold weather conditions. I do not find it heavy at all for hiking. Used it 21 days on a November sheep hunt and it worked great. Cutting 100mph winds at times. If anyone has the snow camo pants they want to part with I'd be glad to take them.