Mid-layer help, midweight or heavyweight shirt/hoodies

I have a pretty good system. Synthetic shirt (cabelas), Cabelas 100wt fleece, Puffy (have both synthetic and down depending on conditions), and eVent rain jacket. I love fleece as a midweight layer, but my fleece is 16 oz and a bit bulky. I was thinking of changing to a midweight or heavyweight grid or technical fleece layer. I want something lightweight, less bulk, and easy to use. Just another layer for those cold mornings and when active on windy and crisp days, I can put my puffy on when glassing or in camp.

I hunt mainly California and occasionally Idaho, scouting from May and then hunting August through the season in late October. Temps range from 75 to 25 with variable weather. I do tend to be warm blooded and enjoy the cold. I was looking at both Sitka and Kuiu options but am not sure the insulation levels of the garments. Would the Sitka midweight shirt/Kuiu 200 be equivalent to a 100-200 weight fleece, or would the Sitka heavyweight hoody/Kuiu 240 be a better all around option. I looked through the old posts but did not see anyone listing conditions where one weight stood out of the other.

I will say I am not a huge hoodie fan. I do not like things over my neck and face too much, and do not like the bulk around my neck when off my head. I am ok with a buff and a beanie and am leaning toward the hoodless options. I also tend to favor full zip as it is easier to take on and off, but know I am limited with that in the options. I do wish Sitka offered their heavyweight shirt in more camo options, but looks like they only have the hoodie.

Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a sitka traverse hoody and a sitka heavyweight zip t. One of them is alway on or in the pack.

The sitka mid weight Is one of my favorite pieces also, but I mainly use it as a cold weather base layer. If I'm taking a supplemental layer it's usually the traverse or heavyweight. I also have a hard time getting the traverse away from the wife.

The traverse is heavier than the heavyweight, lacks some of the tech, but is tough, makes a great outer layer. I'd say on a normal hunt I'm wearing either the heavyweight or traverse 90% of the time

snowplow

WKR
I have/had the chama, fanatic hoody, and peloton 240.

I sold the fanatic. Super cool idea but wasnt warmer than my chama and wind went straight through it so it always felt colder than l thought it should.

On the other hand the Chama is killer. But I consider it more of a base layer, or a second base layer over a t-shirt. Perfect for that. I consider the llano and Chama somewhat of a 2-piece base layer set up.

Then my latest is the Peloton 240. I absolutely love it and you can get it without a hood. It seem like the fanatic is always warmer than I expect it to be. Andy blocks the wind is super thin and weighs nothing. Much like the Chama to me is more of a heavy base layer/light mid-layer, I consider this to be a heavy mid-layer/light outer layer. Two thumbs way way up. Good luck on the search!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Sitka core heavyweight is available without hood.
I'm with you on the buff and beanie. I don't like having a hood when you don't need a hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a KUIU peloton 200 hoody and I absolutely love it, it’s one of my favorite pieces of gear. Get one of those. I’m

TwoTikkas

WKR
Sitka core heavyweight is available without hood.
I'm with you on the buff and beanie. I don't like having a hood when you don't need a hood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was anti hood for years. Still am with outer garments. Debris and water catchers unless they are up,then they compromise my hearing. But! Then I tried the core lightweight hoodie. Flat love this garment. I'm needing the heavyweight next. The hood doesn't compromise the hearing all that much,and works quite well with my beanie. I pair it with the Under armor 3.0/4.0 mid layer. Then the Timberline,or Kelvin lite / Timberline combo. I still don't like outer shells with hoods,unless it's rain wear. Merino quarter zip tees in the appropriate weight make good mid layers to my way of thinking. Especially over the core lightweight hoodie.

I'm really loving my Kuiu Peleton 240. I'm probably getting a second that I'll cut the thumb holes out of.

I have chamas and halsteads for that role. Also a patagonia r1 fleece which is nearly the same as the halstead. I tried a kuiu heavy weight 240 peloton. I have played with the traverse from Sitka. And have a few othe rfleces I don’t use for hunting.

I also like fleece as a midlayer. I tend to prefer the ones that breath more but you give up wind resistance as a compromise. I don’t find any of them to be very Packable but they are light.

Of all the ones, I have and use, I think the Patagonia and halstead are my favorites. Good warmth with a lot of freedom of movement. They breath and have a deep front zip for venting. The kuiu was fine but I like the backing of the grid fleece. The Sitka was a little overbuilt for my use but could be a good option if you are looking for something beefier.

I just bought a polar weight 1/4 zip Cabela's MTP "base layer" to use for this option. I received it last Tuesday and put it on. I went out and it was 34 degrees with a pretty good wind. Not cold but brisk. I had on the midweight for a baselayer and layered over top with the polar weight 1/4 zip. I could have stand hunted that evening in just that. I was warm for 1.5 hours just doing leisure chores. I sweated just a bit in my lumbar area with my pack on. If not for the breath-ability of the polyester synthetics and how quick they dry, I'd had damp spot. My merino would have been damp for sure.

Anyways, back on point. This polar weight 1/4 zip appears to be the perfect option for that mid layer. It was as warm as any hoody or sweatshirt. It weighs only 11 ounces and balls up to the size of a softball too. I'm quite pleased with it for this purpose. God Bless

I’m a bigger fan of the kuiu peloton 97 then the 200.

The 200 for me is the awkward one out.

I’m very interested in the Sitka apex though

mcseal2

WKR
I do like hoods but I'm very picky on how my hoods fit so my choices might not be right for you

I have been experimenting with different options. I like the FL Aerowool very much for a next to skin layer. Past that for warm temps it's a Sitka Core LW hoody. If it's colder I'll go with a FL Chama instead of the Core LW as a 2nd layer and then either the Core LW or FL Halstead over that, occasionally both. I like that I can adjust that layering system depending on temps. If I won't be to active or its pretty darn cold and windy I skip all those and just go with the Aerowool and a FL Sawtooth over them. I love the Sawtooth if it's cold enough I won't have to take it off very often.

I really like merino but have been experimenting with the faster drying synthetics for the AK hunt this fall. I tried the Sitka Core heavyweight hoody and fanatic hoody too but ended up returning them. I don't like the hood on the Core heavyweight that zips up to my nose or leaves "wings" that flap against my face if I don't zip it that far. The Fanatic is to heavy for me, I'd rather run the Sawtooth if I need that much warmth. I'm curious to see what FL's hooded fleece is like, I like their hoods on the Sawtooth and Chama.

I guess after all my rambling the FL Halstead is my choice of currently available fleece layers.

OP
F
I stopped by the store today to look at the Sitka midweight and heavyweight core shirts/hoodies. I did not like them, I did not realize they were such an athletic cut. I am in between a large and XL in most jackets, but did not like the constricting feel of the cores. My 90% jacket is an XL and fits perfect, with room for layering under it. I did not like the partial zip, and did not like the hood. So the core series for me is a no go. I am glad I tried them out. I am a bit claustrophobic and just do not like anything form fitted. I definitely like straight cut to loose fit garments.

I think the Peloton 240 has the features I like, but see it is also an athletic fit. How is the fitting on that garment? I am 6 foot, 220 lbs (still loosing weight). I am pretty squarely built with a long torso. I am likely going to have to go to a 2XL to get the fit I want in the torso. I have their teton puffy in XL and it fits well, but also isn't an athletic cut.

I may be best off with one of the USMC grid fleece, a Condor 603, or something similar to get the fit and features I want. I wish I could find something like the Peckham grid fleece with full zip and in camo! I do like my Cabelas 100wt fleece, I was just hoping to shave some more weight out of my pack.

Lawnboi

WKR
I stopped by the store today to look at the Sitka midweight and heavyweight core shirts/hoodies. I did not like them, I did not realize they were such an athletic cut. I am in between a large and XL in most jackets, but did not like the constricting feel of the cores. My 90% jacket is an XL and fits perfect, with room for layering under it. I did not like the partial zip, and did not like the hood. So the core series for me is a no go. I am glad I tried them out. I am a bit claustrophobic and just do not like anything form fitted. I definitely like straight cut to loose fit garments.

I think the Peloton 240 has the features I like, but see it is also an athletic fit. How is the fitting on that garment? I am 6 foot, 220 lbs (still loosing weight). I am pretty squarely built with a long torso. I am likely going to have to go to a 2XL to get the fit I want in the torso. I have their teton puffy in XL and it fits well, but also isn't an athletic cut.

I may be best off with one of the USMC grid fleece, a Condor 603, or something similar to get the fit and features I want. I wish I could find something like the Peckham grid fleece with full zip and in camo! I do like my Cabelas 100wt fleece, I was just hoping to shave some more weight out of my pack.

You might like the Sitka traverse. Looser cut

snowplow

WKR
The kuiu is athletic cut but im my opinion its cut for a gym athlete. Sitka on the otherhand seems cut for an ultra marathon runner. The sitka was even tight on my forearms lol.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

excaliber

WKR
I like the Sitka Traverse Zip T. It's my go to mid layer when it gets colder or my outer layer in temps above freezing. I like the way this garment holds in just the right amount of heat and helps with cutting the wind. If it's too cold and windy my outer layer goes on top.

SWOHTR

WKR
I like the Sitka Traverse Zip T. It's my go to mid layer when it gets colder or my outer layer in temps above freezing. I like the way this garment holds in just the right amount of heat and helps with cutting the wind. If it's too cold and windy my outer layer goes on top.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk