Mid Layer Fleece Prices

Squirrels

WKR
Not arguing that anything is over priced or cost. If someone is okay spending whatever on an item that’s fine by me. But are their any of you out there that find it a tough pill to swallow to spend $100-$150 on a fleece pullover?!?! If so do you have any suggestions for less expensive alternatives?? Those high end pieces are very nice, I just decided not to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty over paying for most of the clothing I have bought. It all wears out after a season or two, yet the clothing I was issued in the army managed to last me an entire career.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
I’m pretty over paying for most of the clothing I have bought. It all wears out after a season or two, yet the clothing I was issued in the army managed to last me an entire career.

I have some first lite stuff and like it. The mid layer fleece is one thing I feel I could save a lot and spend the savings else where. That’s my biggest gripe with the fleece midlayer, it wears quickly.

What military piece fits that role?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colersu22

WKR
look for the USMC grid fleece on ebay, very close to the First Lite halstead but a little thinner and has a front pocket. They are normally around $40

Owenst7

WKR
I have a couple 200 weight 1/4 zips that I've had for over ten years. One is PolarMax. Can't remember the other. I just look for something that is fitted to my body well and will layer comfortably with my base layer. 200 weight fleeced polyester is pretty much 200 weight fleeced polyester. I doubt I've paid more than $25 for any of mine.

I have some gridded polyester base layers that I use when I expect to get wet (such as rafting trips). I don't see the benefit if the gridded surface isn't against your skin though. I find it very comfortable against the skin when wet.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been wearing a green Marmot 1/4 zip for the last 5 or so years. I love it. The non hunting fleece has a better fit than the ones made by hunting companies to me.

I’ve been using a field jacket liner for twenty two years. I swear that thing is indestructible. I also run the same wool glove inserts I was issued in basic training. Got them in 1996, my first light merino gloves got a hole in them the day I wore them.

Rmauch20

WKR
I have a couple Natural gear fleece pullovers that have lasted several years. I think most were picked up onsale for like 20.00.

HeadnWest

WKR
I bought a used FL Halstead fleece for $55 on Ebay. If you shop around you can find some good second hand sales on ebay or in the classifieds.

My mid layer fleece pieces are from walmart or old navy. I buy quarter zip pullovers on clearance and never spent $10 for any of them. Usually black or green in color. They are not athletic fit or fancy logos. All wear good and dry fast.

I always wear first lite or kuiu merino bases. I will not skimp on these. And my outer wear I am pretty fussy about. As far as mid layers go they are just adding insulation and I like the lighter weight fleece so I can layer. Sometimes I will wear two or three of these depending on conditions and what outerwear I am running. I have looked at kuiu and first lite offerings and just don't see myself going that route from a price point. Great gear but I will continue to spend my money on base and outer wear layers.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
I just buy whatever I can find cheap using Polartec Fleece. Don’t really care about brand.

Check out Taigaworks.ca. They’re a Canadian company, you can get a micro fleece pullover with pit-zips.

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
See if you can find a sand or coyote quarter zip grid fleece from a local Army/Navy surplus store. They're polartec and I've got both a USGI sand version and a Patagucci R1 and aside from color, I can't really tell a different between the two in terms of performance.

keller

WKR
just bought a fleece hoody with windshear from cabelas $20. I like the windshear it works good