What is the current go-to for light weight rain gear?

TauPhi111

WKR
Going on my second elk trip in Colorado this year, possibly 1st rifle in the north central part of the state rather than the southwest corner where it is much drier, and I'm starting to think about possible weather. What is the current go-to product(s) for light weight, waterproof/resistant clothing? Currently I don't have much in the way of rain gear. Right now it consists of a UA waterproof jacket that is seeing the last of its days and a pair of Cabelas dry-fit pants that are too warm for hiking around and have also seen better days. Needing to upgrade my rain gear, so where should I look to first?

ljalberta

WKR
I love my Marmot Precip as a lightweight, low cost option for regions where you're more likely to sit out a thunderstorm or weather a couple days of rain. I wouldn't want to take it where I'm expecting constant rain though.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
For cheaper, super light stuff, I have Cabelas Space Rain Pants and they have served me well for 3 seasons, few small holes but still useful. I've heard good stuff about the Precip line too.

For high end light stuff I have Sitka Dewpoint and would highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
if going to sit out a storm I carry BPS Redhead packable rain gear.

If going to be hunting in the rain I wear Kuiu

Kotaman

WKR
For "in the pack" rain gear, it is hard to beat the Cabelas Space Rain. It never leaves my tree stand pack. If you are going to spend much time at all "living" in the rain, I want something more substantial. I've found Sitka Dew point to be a "best of all worlds" set. Pretty light and keeps you dry. BUT, you'll pay for the Sitka stuff.

You have many options! Your budget will be the determining factor. Marmot, Cabela's, Kuiu, Sitka, & others all make pack-able rain gear. I use the Kuiu original Chugach rain gear. It isn't the lightest, but it is durable enough to last many years as long as I'm not an idiot. It also doubles as a wind blocker so I don't have to pack my Jetstream in while backpacking. I've heard many good things about Marmot and Sitka's Dewpoint as well for packable rain gear. Haven't used them though.

My rain shell is also my wind block layer so I put a lot of value in it. I personally use the Sitka cloudburst or the FL vapor storm light depending on the forecast and time of year, how light I’m trying to pack, etc.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Marmot Precip is great. I’ve been happy with mine. I’ve also used LLBean packable rain very successfully in multiple environments.

If you want camo, the UA Ridge Reaper Goretex rain gear can be bought on sale for a low cost and is well made and packable as are the Browning Hell’s Canyon line lackablenjacket and pants (don’t recall the name). Kryptek’s Poseidon is another great choice especially if on sale at Camofire. Very light and durable.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Going on my second elk trip in Colorado this year, possibly 1st rifle in the north central part of the state rather than the southwest corner where it is much drier, and I'm starting to think about possible weather. What is the current go-to product(s) for light weight, waterproof/resistant clothing? Currently I don't have much in the way of rain gear. Right now it consists of a UA waterproof jacket that is seeing the last of its days and a pair of Cabelas dry-fit pants that are too warm for hiking around and have also seen better days. Needing to upgrade my rain gear, so where should I look to first?

The best light weight rain gear is going to be the Sitka dewpoint series. Its has 3 layers of Gortex and packs down into its own sleeve. It is the open country pattern, the lightest rain gear you can find other than a poncho from wall-mart. The dewpoint is very durable and very strong, and breathes very well. If the open country is not what you are looking for then the thunder head or cloudburst series is great as well. Both have 3 layers of Gortex as well. The subalpine is meant for early season hunts being in close encounters. Open country is for late seasons using rifle hunters wear this pattern. I wear both but for my archery season I wear the cloudburst set and then for rifle I usually have my Dewpoint. If you don't want to spend the money or Gortex I wear the timberline pants and Jetstream jacket 90% of the time hunting hear in Colorado. I honestly rarely break out Gortex unless its raining for days on end or in a serious snow storm. I've been in a downpour for a few hours and happen to forget my rain gear. I was wet on the outside but dry on the inside and I was wearing timberlines and a jet stream.

LostArra

WKR
If Precip is being considered be sure to check Sierra Trading Post to buy. They have regular specials on Marmot. If they don't have an earth tone you like just wait a few days.

I use my rain jacket on cold windy days just to block the wind over a puffy so a decent rain jacket, Marmot Precip included, can get double duty.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
Thanks everyone for the input. Does anyone recommend anything for First Lite? I can get a pretty decent military discount on gear so I'd be included to go with them over Sitka or Kuiu looking at price alone. I'll definitely check out that Cabelas gear too.

Also on the subject of rain gear, can anyone suggest a light weight tarp or rain fly that one could set up to sit underneath and glass if they happen to get caught in the rain but want to still be in the field?

Thanks!

The best light weight rain gear is going to be the Sitka dewpoint series. Its has 3 layers of Gortex and packs down into its own sleeve. It is the open country pattern, the lightest rain gear you can find other than a poncho from wall-mart. The dewpoint is very durable and very strong, and breathes very well. If the open country is not what you are looking for then the thunder head or cloudburst series is great as well. Both have 3 layers of Gortex as well. The subalpine is meant for early season hunts being in close encounters. Open country is for late seasons using rifle hunters wear this pattern. I wear both but for my archery season I wear the cloudburst set and then for rifle I usually have my Dewpoint. If you don't want to spend the money or Gortex I wear the timberline pants and Jetstream jacket 90% of the time hunting hear in Colorado. I honestly rarely break out Gortex unless its raining for days on end or in a serious snow storm. I've been in a downpour for a few hours and happen to forget my rain gear. I was wet on the outside but dry on the inside and I was wearing timberlines and a jet stream.

Agree completely .

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I have Cabelas Space Rain in the pack for getting caught in a storm. If its gonna rain/snow all day I have use the Sitka cloudburst pants, but am looking into getting a new higher end jacket for extended time in moisture. The two I'm really interested in are First Lites SEAK and Sitkas Stormfront

For the price you cannot beat the cabelas space jacket n pants, especially combined with its packability and warranty.

The only thing that will be 100% waterproof will be offshore/commercial fishing slicks, but your gonna sweat.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
There's a thread near the top right now under the Sleep Systems forum that lists a bunch of tarps ranging from ~$50-150. I think it's called Budget Ultralight Tarp Options or something similar.

In reply to the tarp/fly question.

X2...my GO TO choice.

FreeRange

WKR
I've had really good luck with my OR Helium 2 jacket and pants, if you're not set on a hardcore 3 layer system and don't need a lot of durability this is a great lightweight, affordable set. My only gripe is the pants aren't full leg zip which in my mind is a much bigger deal than it sounds like, but they weigh half of what my leg zip pants weigh and cost less.