Dual Purpose Hiker/Office Pants

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
Weird question, anyone out there know of a good hiking pant that would also be office friendly? Something khaki color and somewhat nice looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Eddie Bauer Horizon Guide Chinos. Normal khaki design with stretch nylon construction. They're 50% off right now, too. I've got a pair of the guide pants which are nice, but I'm looking to get the chinos for travel.

colonel00

WKR
I wear Prana Zions almost every day for work. Now, they are a bit more casual than a regular pair of khakis. There is a pocket on the left thigh and snaps on the legs that kind of give them away. However, for my job, they are fine. I'm usually wearing a polo shirt and tennis shoes so it works.

colersu22

WKR
You could try the travel pants from Costco, I picked up a couple pairs and they are less than $20 a piece and the tan looks close to khaki's

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Weird question, anyone out there know of a good hiking pant that would also be office friendly? Something khaki color and somewhat nice looking.

Hands down the Territory pant from Sitka. It is in the new TTW line. I have both the clay and shadow. I wear them in my office, out to dinner, out on our ranch, hiking to fishing spots litterarly every where. They also come in shorts as well. They aren't like the pyrite ascent pants these fit amazing just like a normal pant. I strongly suggest these.

Eddie Bauer. They run a lot of sales and you can get them for half the cost of the Sitka. I saw they have 50% off still today. Also, the Zion stretch are nice and are on sale often. I think Eddie Bauer also has a lifetime warranty.

LostArra

WKR
Eddie Bauer Horizon Guide Chinos. Normal khaki design with stretch nylon construction. They're 50% off right now, too. I've got a pair of the guide pants which are nice, but I'm looking to get the chinos for travel.

Eddie Bauer pants have gotten too low-rise, hip hugger fit for me. Their material is great. If they made a Carhartt fit with EB material I would be all in.

Gorp2007

WKR
Eddie Bauer pants have gotten too low-rise, hip hugger fit for me. Their material is great. If they made a Carhartt fit with EB material I would be all in.

I suppose everyone has their own definition of perfect fit, the OP should certainly try them on before he buys them.

Some folks prefer "low rise hip huggers" over wearing our pants up at our belly buttons like Grandpa's Sansabelt slacks.

I will concede that the guide pants are a touch more snug in the thigh than I'd prefer, but those are an "active" fit and the horizon chinos are a classic fit, which should be looser.

Last edited:
My first question would be, what is office friendly at your work environment? Depending on the job, it could be different. I have worn the costco pants and the pranas at my work Monday - Thursday with nothing said. On Friday's I've worn the Sitka Ascents and Kryptek Valhalla. Also on Fridays I love to sport a Jetstream Vest. All of these are solid colors by the way. Most people's wok environments are different.

Gorp2007

WKR
I wear Prana Zions almost every day for work. Now, they are a bit more casual than a regular pair of khakis. There is a pocket on the left thigh and snaps on the legs that kind of give them away. However, for my job, they are fine. I'm usually wearing a polo shirt and tennis shoes so it works.

If the cargo pockets are a deal breaker, Prana also makes the Brion and Zioneer pants. Both are a classic 5-pocket design, the Brions are a slim fit and the Zioneer is a loose(r) fit.

Kuhl makes some decent pants. I like the Renegades. I wear them for hunting and everyday use.

LostArra

WKR
Gorp2007;906781 Some folks prefer "low rise hip huggers" over wearing our pants up at our belly buttons like Grandpa's Sansabelt slacks.[/QUOTE said:
Hey! I resemble the Grandpa remark. Now get off my yard! :) Sansabelt?? Us grandpa's actually prefer suspenders but they are tough to find.

You are correct. If possible, trying on first is important. The EB Classic fit in khakis works for me just not the Guide stuff.

OP
Sewall

Sewall

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered some of the Eddie Bauer’s mainly because they were 50% off. We’ll see how they fit. Now to find some casual hiking shoes....

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aside from summer wearing shorts I basically live in eddie baurer guide pants, the chino at work (there is a hidden thigh pocket) and pro guide out of work (the one with the flat cargo pockets). For my body type (6', 180, 33in waist moderate thighs) they fit fantastic and the stretch in the material makes them very comfortable. I didn't care for the prana zion in comparison. I might get some of the shorts version actually now that I think about it... :)

Squirrels

WKR
Aside from summer wearing shorts I basically live in eddie baurer guide pants, the chino at work (there is a hidden thigh pocket) and pro guide out of work (the one with the flat cargo pockets). For my body type (6', 180, 33in waist moderate thighs) they fit fantastic and the stretch in the material makes them very comfortable. I didn't care for the prana zion in comparison.

Good to hear as I ordered two pair of the horizon chinos last night at the 50% off. Hope they fit well cause it is a score if so.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good to hear as I ordered two pair of the horizon chinos last night at the 50% off. Hope they fit well cause it is a score if so.

Some guys with stouter thighs complain on the cut but they fit me just fine and I wouldn't want them baggier/looser (for my body). I have a pair of lined ones too I'll wear in the winter that are super cozy but can get warm quick if the temps don't justify them.

bruno59

WKR
I have a couple pair of sitka territory pants also and they are a nice multi use pant and i had a friend belong to Leo adventures and got me 40% off so they were only $71 great buy pretty durable also