Base layer suggestions for active activities

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the situation, I am in the National Guard in South Carolina. We are tasked with a chemical/biological incident mission and we are having a drill in the midwest next week. My role will be to put on a space suit and do moderate activity for 45 min and then go to a (hopefully) heated tent to rest for 45 min and repeat for aprx 12 hrs. The weather prediction is for snow and around freezing temps. I am a South Carolinian and have no base layers other than the waffle stuff the army gives out. I need to know what base layer to buy to wear under my uniform so as not to freeze to death in the cold tundra of the midwest. What do you reccommend? I also need a glove or mitten in a solid color with minimal labeling. What should I get?

By "space suit", I'm assuming that you mean some sort of OSHA Level A type PPE, if that's true, speaking from personal experience, 45 minutes of any activity exceeding reading a book, would result in me being soaked from perspiration and the build up of humidity inside the suit. I would suggest at minimum, 2 pair (3 would be better) of base layers that you could change out of and let the damp pair dry out between uses. If I thought that I really wanted to use this base layer as your describing, but thought that I might also utilize them for hunting purposes, I would be looking at some sort of lightweight merino base layer. I saw some pretty good prices on Stoic brand over at Steep & Cheap over the weekend.

I've got no suggestions for the glove/mitten.

Honestly I don't think it will matter much if you are doing that rotation. Those level A suits are saunas and you will be soaked. Make sure to take a towel in the suite to wipe your face mask. The 45 min break will not be enough to dry out, you will be wet. I would go with some poly shirts as they dry faster than merino. I would bring a few pair and rotate. If you have a Zumro tent with a heater the poly may actually have a chance to dry if you hang it. Your hands should be fine in a merino glove liner.

260madman

WKR
If you’re training down the road from me I would recommend a thin poly baselayer with a lot of stretch. Any glove or mitten should work just make sure the gloves aren’t too restrictive around your fingers, mittens will be warmer. It’s hard to find this stuff this time of the year though. Even online inventory will be getting low. Check Sierra Trading Post, Eastern Mountain Sports and Backcountry, they all have good deals. Backcountry usually does 2day shipping for orders over $50.

Forecast here today is 6-10” of snow with 12” in some areas. Will be wet and heavy.

Feel free to PM me the location and I can give you a better idea of the weather and the forecast.

mcseal2

WKR
First Lite Aerowool is the best I've found, I wear it under my Helly Hansen rain suit on the ranch pretty regular. It dries faster than merino but doesn't stink like synthetic. 2 sets might be a good idea. They have a bunch of last years stuff marked down pretty good if they have your size. It's still not cheap stuff but worth it if you will use it enough.

KurtR

WKR
the sitka light weight base layers are my go to dry fast and the polygene does the job for my body type and does not stink.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it sounds like you're going to be soaked by the description of the suit, I'd echo the suggestion of 3 base layers (wearing one, two drying)- the quickest drying base layers are the lightweight micro grid ones from Sitka

while merino has it benefits, quick drying isn't one of them- you want syn for quick drying

Brendan

WKR
Personally - I like Under Armour Cold Gear. Used it for all my skiing, snowmobiling for years. I have multiple sets that I use for whitetail tree stand hunting that get washed after every use. I break out my merino for hunts where I don't want to stink after a day or so.