Youth hunting clothing ???

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I know kids grow fast but wondering what clothing some of you use or get for your kid? My oldest turns 9 this coming weekend and since he hunted coyote for his first time this winter he is hooked and asked for his own rifle for his birthday. I got that covered but unsure on what clothing to get him since he will outgrow it quickly. He's had some stuff from bass pro but he freezes in it. Thought about some of the under armour camo because it has worked well for me over the last few years till I stepped up to sitka but until I know he's committed I don't know I want to spend that much money. On the other hand I have a 3 year old that all he wants to do is go out and look for deer, Turkey, coyote, and bobcat so I know he could wear it after the oldest out grows it. So my question is what do some of you get your kids? Keep in mind almost all their hunting will be in the Midwest in a tree or sitting on the ground. Like this weekend for youth Turkey it will be 23 degrees and it will be his first time and I want him to enjoy it and be comfortable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

novcie870

WKR
I have three boys...two hunt (15, and 12 yrs old) and my youngest is just getting started. I know your struggle! I have found for the early years where they are just tagging along for a sit type hunt (turkeys, glassing mule deer, waterfowl, etc) I use there regular winter clothes and put a cheap camo jacket over it. As they got older, I was able to find better quality clothing in mens/womens (dont tell them) size small for deep discounts. Layers like FL can be had on close out in mens small all the time. My eldest son now mows lawns and earns his hunting money and that has helped a lot. Beyond that, I check cabelas often for bargain cave deals and have had good success. Layers really are the key. So i focus on getting good base layers and mid layers for them, then usually run a walmart realtree jacket over the better quality base layers. The last thing is that kings camo has been a good buy for us as well as the classifieds on here. Good luck my friend. I can tell you that my hunting has evolved the past few years and now is centered around seeing my boys be successful. This means that I dont hunt for myself very often anymore, but I cant tell you how much joy this has brought me. Both my boys tagged out on nice mulies this year and I couldnt even compare it to the animals i have taken. I hope you experience the same in the future. The future of our sport is sitting in the truck next to you every time you take those kids out.

My kid doesn't currently hunt, because she is 7 months old, but I did grow up hunting the entire months of September - 2nd week of November in CO and occasionally Wyoming. I always wore my dad's old BDU's. I was somewhat comfortable. For blaze orange I had a fleece hoody we had gotten on sale at Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse. For baselayers, just cheap comfortable long johns. Looking back I was only really uncomfortable when I was wet. We had the soft heavy rain gear and we got super soaked while we were hiking because of sweat.

I have 4 boys and nothing kills a hunting adventure faster than freezing kids.
09211415c9a104ce65043c75aa330317.jpg

I have found that a heavier down jacket like the youth Sitka jacket makes will keep them warm & cozy.
5c8ecae04913895a26645723b0d7246d.jpg

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 boys and nothing kills a hunting adventure faster than freezing kids.
09211415c9a104ce65043c75aa330317.jpg

I have found that a heavier down jacket like the youth Sitka jacket makes will keep them warm & cozy.
5c8ecae04913895a26645723b0d7246d.jpg

Try ice breaker merino wool base layers. They have kids’ sizes and keep my son warm when we are camping. He hasn’t come hunting with me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Whitetaildown215

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I can get it in Oc but not evii which sucks. They really don't have anything for kids, almost no one does, at least online from the major stores/brands.

Kuiu has a youth line, buts of course rather spendy, I suppose I could buy one set and then hand it down to those who follow if they desire.

adamm88

WKR
Use cloth they have and put on a homemade poncho over them in camouflage. Or buy a size or 2 big so they can use it for multiple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk