Explain Clothing Pre-Ordering To Me

NDGuy

WKR
I saw that First Lite is taking preorders for 2018 line of clothes. I guess I don’t really understand why people would preorder clothes. There’s no discounting for pre-ordering so what is the point? I guess if you are just getting into a new line of product and absolutely want the stuff.

But nearly everything is going to be discounted 20-40% off once or twice throughout the year. That coupled with waiting to hear reviews for some of the new items I’ll just wait. Maybe I’m in the minority though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Logical Justification: It alleviates concerns about getting the color and size that you want. If you pre-order, it's a guarantee that what you want will be in stock and you'll get it as soon as possible for pre-season scouting and wear testing to make sure you have time to return/exchange if necessary.

Actual Justification: IT'S SO NEW AND SHINY I NEED IT NOW!!!!!!

In short, no I don't have a good reason for why I just spent too much money on underwear that I won't even see until June, but for some reason it makes me happy.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Logical Justification: It alleviates concerns about getting the color and size that you want. If you pre-order, it's a guarantee that what you want will be in stock and you'll get it as soon as possible for pre-season scouting and wear testing to make sure you have time to return/exchange if necessary.

Actual Justification: IT'S SO NEW AND SHINY I NEED IT NOW!!!!!!

In short, no I don't have a good reason for why I just spent too much money on underwear that I won't even see until June, but for some reason it makes me happy.

Lol at least you are honest. I get it for maybe baselayers cuz most people can afford $10-20 more to get baselayers right away. But I’m waiting for the Chamberlain to go on sale since it’s saving quite a bit to wait on it. Not going to get cold until November anyways!

With things being direct now, I wonder if you will see the preseason, Black Friday, end of season 40% off sales of the past. I had the money set aside from Christmas to plug some mid season holes in my system and needed to burn it before the general fund got wind of it.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
With things being direct now, I wonder if you will see the preseason, Black Friday, end of season 40% off sales of the past. I had the money set aside from Christmas to plug some mid season holes in my system and needed to burn it before the general fund got wind of it.

That’s actually a pretty good point I would bet we won’t see 40% anytime soon unless they’re phasing out certain product. I still think near the end of the year they’ll have a 20% sale.

Trial153

WKR
i spend money like a fool on gear but i refuse to preorder anything. I dont feel like its incumbent upon me to prepay for a product that is going to be kept in inventory. If a product or run of product is being made and it involves a lead time thats fine and differnt story.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I dont feel like its incumbent upon me to prepay for a product that is going to be kept in inventory. If a product or run of product is being made and it involves a lead time thats fine and differnt story.

X2

I saw that First Lite is taking preorders for 2018 line of clothes. I guess I don’t really understand why people would preorder clothes. There’s no discounting for pre-ordering so what is the point? I guess if you are just getting into a new line of product and absolutely want the stuff.

But nearly everything is going to be discounted 20-40% off once or twice throughout the year. That coupled with waiting to hear reviews for some of the new items I’ll just wait. Maybe I’m in the minority though..

You probably won’t see the big discounts going forward with the direct to consumer model. Those are usually margin support for slow moving retailer sells or a baked in discount special run product, like blk Friday

Typically it’s better to be backordered then over ordered/excess inventory. Under the new model they now have to carry a real large inventory compared to before. No more direct ship from China to the retailer. That big inventory will be broken up over a few delivery periods, to lesson warehouse costs. So the pre-order will insure you get what you want. All of Firstlites orders where already placed 6 months ago, so technically they could sell out off pre-orders and you may have to wait until next scheduled containters ship/arrive. This is more reality then optimism usually.

Traditional mfg to retailer model has orders being placed a whole year in advance to the plant, that doesn’t change with direct to market, difference is you break up more of your deliveries, so hopefully you aren’t dieing from warehousing cost.

Last edited:
OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
You probably won’t see the big discounts going forward with the direct to consumer model. Those are usually margin support for slow moving retailer sells or a backed in special run product, like blk Friday

I hope you are wrong, but I think you are right. Time will tell, and if that's how they run things so be it. I got most of my kit already so it's just replacement down the road if need be for me...and maybe pickup a Chamberlain after everyone's used it for a season.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I might want a chamberlain, but not willing to pre order or pay full retail. Too many other quality options from similar makers.

I can’t justify it either. Therefore I won’t be doing it. I have first lite items now, it works. Until it needs to be replaced, I won’t be ordering anything.

I’m just hoping that the prices don’t get jacked up due to the no retail sales. Their shit is expensive.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
i spend money like a fool on gear but i refuse to preorder anything. I dont feel like its incumbent upon me to prepay for a product that is going to be kept in inventory. If a product or run of product is being made and it involves a lead time thats fine and differnt story.

This^^

I have some stuff in my wish list, but won’t buy until I need or if a discount shows up.

bcimport

WKR
To me the preorder accomplishes two things for the vendor. The try to create a subconscious feeling of scarcity to their customers which will spike sales immediately based on some desire to not get left out. Secondly it pumps a bunch of cash into the company to pay suppliers early or in line with their credit terms so they don’t have to borrow as much or perhaps at all to fund the year thus increasing profits. I doubt it has anything to actually do with amount of product they’re sewing. That forecast and decision was probably made 6-8 months ago.

TwoTikkas

WKR
If a garment company/dealer can't throw me a bone a couple times a year,Ill find another source/brand. It's safe to say ROK slide members do a world of good for these products. Ill personally drop a grand a year on clothing. Not to mention foot wear. A loyal following like us deserves a little gratuitous gesture in time for fall delivery. Let's not forget who drives this industry. My short list for this year is closer to $2,000. A Fanatic (or similar),outfit for stand hunting. An honest to goodness GorTex outfit. Zip off insulated bottoms. A new shell. More Merino. If I can't score them at a discount,Ill survive without them. There is still Cabelas.

Joelweb

FNG
With some of these hot new items, they won't be available very long before the popular sizes run out. If you really want one, you should preorder.

blasterak

FNG
Because FOMO(Fear Of Missing Out). Same thing that drives stocks up. But FL tends to run out of common sizes and popular colors(i.e. Dry Earth). I still won't pre order though as i'll wait for the next sale or get on classifieds here or FL buy sell facebook group.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I don't understand it either. But then again I have a mind for money management. I'm always at least a year behind any new releases of anything. We used to buy our skis at the Gart Warehouse for $99 because "they were last year's model". Same for golf clubs......"if" I buy new clubs......I buy clubs that were released a few years ago for pennies on the dollar. That means I'm not on the "cutting edge" of innovation, but it also means that I have 75%+ more money in my bank account because of that. Oh well, I can live with that. I'm actually thinking about taking my 2006 bow elk hunting this year instead of my Freak. It hasn't killed an elk since 2014. I don't need "new" or even "latest and greatest" to be comfortable and get the job done just the same.

To me the preorder accomplishes two things for the vendor. The try to create a subconscious feeling of scarcity to their customers which will spike sales immediately based on some desire to not get left out. Secondly it pumps a bunch of cash into the company to pay suppliers early or in line with their credit terms so they don’t have to borrow as much or perhaps at all to fund the year thus increasing profits. I doubt it has anything to actually do with amount of product they’re sewing. That forecast and decision was probably made 6-8 months ago.

^^This
They get to use our money at 0% interest to fund their business or they can borrow money somewhere with interest and payments. They pulled this straight out of the Kuiu playbook along with a few other things they've done the last year or 2 to build their following and changing their business model. I'm not a Kuiu fanboy, but Jason basically wrote the book and First Lite is following it and making a tweak here and there.

Pre order is a marketing phenomenon that allows the company to keep cash flow moving. They understand that people will race to get what they want. They also understand that cash flow is most important. Pre order allows them to spend their dollars on what they want, while using your dollars to pay the bills. It can act as collateral or, interest bearing. Who knows. But, what isn't debatable is it ensures return on the investment for the company. I personally find it deplorable. But, that is just me. No more then I have, I'm the one that needs the security of my money. No on else.

Sounds like a smart business plan to me if there are willing participants. They are assuming the risk of developing and producing numerous products (many new / evolved products this year) in quantities based on looking into a crystal ball to project sales. They are a small business producing gear based on what has worked well for them in the field not some corporate diversified company like UA putting camo on their sports gear materials and selling to hunters. If UA drops their hunting line they survive. If I recall correctly, there were like 4 different prototypes of the catalyst jacket before they settled on the final design and that's just one product. There is cost associated with R&D, minimum order requirements on the different fabrics / materials used in their products.
I have purchased the majority of my FL Gear from their retail network and very little direct from FL and who knows how the direct approach will turn out for them. I am certain it will be successful given their following but there is some risk associated with this decision as well. I admit, I am a gear junkie and I like to test the latest and greatest and I spend more than I should on this stuff and there are worse habits than top shelf hunting clothes.