Boonie/Bucket hats

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone making a good boonie hat? Do people still use these? I used to have one but most of my hunting is colder weather these days. I'm planning 3 weeks chasing deer and elk this august/sept in a place that gets warm and am trying to see whats out there.

Is anyone making a good boonie hat? Do people still use these? I used to have one but most of my hunting is colder weather these days. I'm planning 3 weeks chasing deer and elk this august/sept in a place that gets warm and am trying to see whats out there.
Love boonie hats.

I found a wool KOTM one I really like for early-mid season. They don't make it any more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
There used to be a Vietnam vet who made great custom boonies (short or long brim, mesh, etc) on ebay. I have a short brimmed boonie he made for me that easily clears my bow string. I did a quick search but couldn't find him.

I have a slangvel. Very solid but I believe most of his stuff is cotton.

I was looking for something a little more techincial so I also have one of these. Amazon.com : Outdoor Research Men's Helios Sun Hat, Multicam : Sports & Outdoors. Stay away from their Seattle sombrero unless you are in an actual rain Forrest. They are hot and don’t breathe well.

Also, I am a big fan of hats from an outfit called Sunday afternoons. The adventure hat is like a bookie but it has a neck cape in the back that does sun protection without hitting your pack.

Adventure Hat | Sunday Afternoons

The Sunday afternoons is my go to for sunny hiking.

I use a boonie made by TAD Gear. It’s got a bit shorter brim than this issued hat and has some mesh in it. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear them all the time on early hunts and fishing to keep the sun off my ears but are all issued from my days in the Corps. I have the old Corps woodland and desert and the Marpat in both colors. Great covers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I'm not hunting, I sport my Tilley for everyday wear.

pew

Lil-Rokslider
The Kuiu boonie has worked well for me. Gonna try the Sitka one this year as I wanted just a tad more coverage for the back of my neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I actually prefer cotton for something like this because I frequently submerge it in water to keep my head cool from evaporation.

+1 on the Kuiu boonie.

Lightweight, breaths well, and the bill stands up very nicely and stays there. Plenty of clearance for bows.

+1 on the Kuiu boonie.

Lightweight, breaths well, and the bill stands up very nicely and stays there. Plenty of clearance for bows.
KUIU is a nice boonie but is just a smidgen small in head circumference for my big fat noggin'