shirts for hiking

keller

WKR
looking for some ideas on good long and short sleeve shirts to hike in that don't break the bank and wont leave you smelling like a rutting bull elk after after a day on the trail.
thanks john

The FL Llano 170 gram Merino Short Sleeve for 42.00 is tough to beat. Could wear it for days with almost no smell. Do your self a favor ind get the red desert boxers too. Be careful on sizing for them though, I wear Med in most first lite and small in the red desert at 6-0 185. I never tried their aerowool like the mineret as it has some synthetics and I was concerned about smell.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
looking for some ideas on good long and short sleeve shirts to hike in that don't break the bank and wont leave you smelling like a rutting bull elk after after a day on the trail.
thanks john

If only I "could" find a shirt and pants that left me smelling like a rutting bull elk after a day on the trail.......then my whole hunting persona would be complete and I wouldn't have to worry about the wind.;)

Merino is the way to go. Those are the only base layers I use for high exertion activities. But if you buy the wrong ones, you'll smell like a wet sheep instead of a bull elk.

snowplow

WKR
A cheaper marino option is the black ovis ones from camofire but they def arent as comfy ergo l havent worn them for a long stretch. On the other hand lve gone a week elk hunting without taking off the llano, base layers, and red desert boxers and had no smell. It was mind boggling.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Gorp2007

WKR
Merino or merino blends all the way if you want to avoid getting too stanky on the trail. I like my Aerowool LS from FirstLite and it's definitely lighter/thinner than my Llano.

Another option is to just wear a tech T and embrace the funk if you're on the trail for multiple days. It's easier to find solitude if other people are disgusted by your mere presence.

I prefer to wear Columbia fishing shirts like the one in my avatar and Aerowool tee.

il_570xN.573844272_ml3t.jpg

12088072_10207546715687091_1495215615213136319_n.jpg

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
thanks john

Sitka's new TTW line is meant for that. They have the scouting shirt. It is a very light weight material and is made of polygene. it is meant to capture and kill bacteria so body odor wouldn't be a big issue I've gotten the chance to wear some on a few hike so far this spring and they are amazing. They aren't very expensive either specially with the ROK10 discount code. I wear just about everything from the TTW line on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Outdoor Research. The Echo s/s and l/s shirts are lightweight and very breathable. They also feature Polygiene and with discount codes they are very affordable.

Jardo

WKR
I hunt hot and humid Hawaii. If I'm hunting for 1 day I usually use my kuiu peloton 130 shirt and tiburon pants. If hunting multiple days, I need my Sitka core lightweight with polygeine or my all time favorite is first light aerowool. I find the polygeine works fine for me. I do sweat a lot but my sweat doesn't seem to stink as bad as most men. I'm somewhat lucky. My hunting buddy smells like a rotten hippopotamus ass when he starts sweating and has to wear wool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GPool1842

WKR
Free Fly lightweight bamboo. The most comfortable shirt I have ever put on. It’s like wearing butter... I’m obsessed.

Another good one is Orvis Drirelease.

Great shirts...