Best liner gloves

ChadSchu

FNG
First off I will say I have read through all of the previous posts I have seen about gloves but I have a specific question about liner gloves. Wanted to get everyone's opinions on liner gloves and what they like the best for close to skin comfort. I have a nice large pair of warm chopper mitts I can put over but need a good pair of liner gloves.

Thanks
Chad

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I like thin merino and have used many brands. 100% merino does not stand up to abrasion. Best I have found is the First Lite Aerowool with 20% nylon. There may be others but I would look for a blend. I blew holes in KUIU, Sitka, Core4 in no time.

I have to agree with go4, the First Lite Aerowool Liners are pretty good. I put them on in the stand to conceal my hands early season and wear the FL Talus gloves over them when trucking through the rough later on. They are little help in the wind. I got almost 2 seasons out of these but I wear them without regard for looks until the function is gone

View attachment 70401

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka traverse gloves for me. I would consider them borderline liner and light stand alone though. They give enough warmth for when you need some dexterity but anything thinner would chill your hands. I hate restrictive gloves but these are sewn in a manner that doesn’t restrict my thumb or fingers.

bruno59

WKR
Sitka traverse gloves for me. I would consider them borderline liner and light stand alone though. They give enough warmth for when you need some dexterity but anything thinner would chill your hands. I hate restrictive gloves but these are sewn in a manner that doesn’t restrict my thumb or fingers.
Same here use the traverse glove by itself when it gets colder put another glove on top works great i use just a cheap insulated jersey glove on top tried the first lite did not last a year got holes real quick been using the traverse a couple years and still going strong

I have Sitka traverse, Sitka merino, under armour liners, and some that came with my heavy gore tex Burton gloves. They all work good for me. I dont really have a preference with the ones I have.

jmden

WKR
I've put alot of work over the years into figuring out a small/light/effective glove system for early to mid season. Use the same system for late season, but then in late season augmented with Kuiu super down glassing mittens as needed.

Men's Versaliner - black | Outdoor Research The OR Versaliner Gloves are fleece gloves with zippers on back that hold waterproof/windproof/breathable shells that can be taken on and off as needed. I seam sealed the seams on the shells with McNett SeamGrip to make them totally watertight. Very light and very flexible to conditions. Windy? Put on the shells? Rainy? Put on the shells.

I wanted a very light, thin liner glove that had touchscreen compatibility and one that would be thin enought to fit into my OR Versaliner without adding too much bulk such that it would be hard to get the gloved hand in and out of the Versaliner Glove. This so I could quickly take a hand out of the Versaliner, do some fine motor skills stuff keeping my hands somewhat warm with the liners. It makes a big difference to keep the fingers warm and working. The best liner I've found to fit inside the OR Versaliner Glove is the Montane Power Dry Glove ( Montane Power Dry Glove | UK | Ultralight Outdoor Gear ). Had to order from the UK last I checked. Not available in the states. Thin and tight fitting enough that you can do most tasks requiring fine motor movements with them on and keep some warmth in the hands. Plus can use touch screen very well with them.

With these and both layers of the Versaliner Glove on, you've got a pretty warm system. If I need more than these, it's the Kuiu Super Down Glassing Mits.

I've put alot of work over the years into figuring out a small/light/effective glove system for early to mid season. Use the same system for late season, but then in late season augmented with Kuiu super down glassing mittens as needed.

Men's Versaliner - black | Outdoor Research The OR Versaliner Gloves are fleece gloves with zippers on back that hold waterproof/windproof/breathable shells that can be taken on and off as needed. I seam sealed the seams on the shells with McNett SeamGrip to make them totally watertight. Very light and very flexible to conditions. Windy? Put on the shells? Rainy? Put on the shells.

I wanted a very light, thin liner glove that had touchscreen compatibility and one that would be thin enought to fit into my OR Versaliner without adding too much bulk such that it would be hard to get the gloved hand in and out of the Versaliner Glove. This so I could quickly take a hand out of the Versaliner, do some fine motor skills stuff keeping my hands somewhat warm with the liners. It makes a big difference to keep the fingers warm and working. The best liner I've found to fit inside the OR Versaliner Glove is the Montane Power Dry Glove ( Montane Power Dry Glove | UK | Ultralight Outdoor Gear ). Had to order from the UK last I checked. Not available in the states. Thin and tight fitting enough that you can do most tasks requiring fine motor movements with them on and keep some warmth in the hands. Plus can use touch screen very well with them.

With these and both layers of the Versaliner Glove on, you've got a pretty warm system. If I need more than these, it's the Kuiu Super Down Glassing Mits.

Those Versaliners look great!!

Beendare

WKR
Thats about all I wear is liner gloves. I have the cheapie Cabelas nylon/camo, the merino and the polypro gloves. Those poly ones are hard to beat....but mostly come in Navy.

jmden

WKR

Forgot to mention that it's actually pretty amazing how much warmer the Versaliners are when the Montane Power Dry Gloves are on inside the Versaliners and the Montane gloves are so thin, they go in and out of the Versaliners quite easily. Pretty amazing combination for me so far.

I've used merino liners with mixed results. They're okay used only as a liner, but lack the warm and comfort of a better choice. The very best glove I've found for combo use as a liner or stand-alone is the KUIU Peloton. I like everything about them. I often wear them as my primary glove on cool days, and they have the durability to put up with that. They are excellent as liners in cold weather. They also dry easily as opposed to the various wools I've used. It's nice too that they weigh almost nothing.