Outer shell gloves or mitts

cmat1120

FNG
I've gotten most of my clothing system worked out(just need to try one or two more things to see how they work), but I still haven't gotten my gloves nailed down. I've decided to try fox river fingerless wool gloves(with grippy palms) for cool, windless dry weather, but I'd like to get some kind of weather resistant outer shell or glove. I'm trying to decide between getting a glove or a mitt and then which one after that. I'll be hunting in temperatures from about 20-70 degrees with wind highly possible and rain unlikely but possible.

Any suggestions?

I elk hunt in the temps that you are talking about and I don't wear anything more that liner type gloves. I usually use the Sitka Traverse gloves. Like everything else gloves are a personal thing. My hands dont get cold real easy. I carry a pair of Sitka Hudson Lobster mitts too, but have never needed to use them. They are pirmaloft and gore tex.

OP
C

cmat1120

FNG
I elk hunt in the temps that you are talking about and I don't wear anything more that liner type gloves. I usually use the Sitka Traverse gloves. Like everything else gloves are a personal thing. My hands dont get cold real easy. I carry a pair of Sitka Hudson Lobster mitts too, but have never needed to use them. They are pirmaloft and gore tex.

I guess I'll have to give these wool gloves a try first and maybe I'll be in the same boat. I think the only issue is wind. It was in the 30's this weekend and my hands were just chilly without gloves, but when the wind really picked up they got numb quick. Maybe it would make sense to have these as a liner, a set of windproof gloves to go over and maybe a waterproof mitt/shell if I expect really cold Temps or snow.

As far as wind goes I have the Sitka Mountain gloves. They are thin gloves with windstop. They might be what you are looking for.

I use the merino liner type gloves for most hunts. I have carried a pair of soft shell gloves to go over those in colder weather. I have also worn some "shooters" mittens with the slit in them so the fingers can easily slide out. I like the gloves better for using my hands while getting to things, whether its a range finder, snack in my pouch or a game call. But the mittens are warmer for me. But when I access the cut in these to get my fingers out, it then lays the top part of the mitten back, and it can get in the way.
I am active in my hunts. If I was just glassing or tree stand hunting, I would have to have mittens to keep my hands warm. No glove in the existence of man kind works for me.
I use the "Hand Warmers" and mitten work best with these.

Id say I use gloves 75% of the time, mittens10% and nothing at all the other 15%. I hunt mountains so its almost always "chilly.

mcseal2

WKR
Gloves are something I've accumulated a bunch of. I hate cold hands hunting and seem to keep trying to find the perfect options for every hunt.

If it's warm and I don't need much the Sitka Core gloves work well. They are tougher than the merino liner gloves I've tried.
I like the Sitka Traverse gloves for the majority of hunts. They are wind resistant but not proof and warm for their weight.
It it's a little to cold for them the Kryptek Norlander merino glove is great, almost as much feel and more wind resistant.
If it's real cold and dry the Kuiu glassing mittens easily slide over the above options and weigh 5oz. They can really help glassing first and last light when the temp is low.
For my moose hunt I got Sitka Downpour GTX whitetail gloves to keep with my rain gear. I'm also taking Sitka Traverse for when it isn't raining.