Sitka Rain Jacket

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some input on a rain jacket. I live in PA. I'm out in the woods about every night after school, every weekend of hunting season, and fishing from April to October. Also getting more into backpacking. Heading out to Montana at least 2 or 3 times this summer for some high country trips. Looking for wind protection, but also must be able to withstand a couple hours of rain. Hoping for something very packable (has to fit inside new Sitka Mountain Approach pack). Going with Sitka because it's the best in my experience. Money is a factor. Here's my thoughts. Please let me know if you have any opinions or input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sitka Cloudburst - Great reputation for being consistently waterproof and holding up over long periods of time. Packable (20 oz) but still has pockets (kinda a big deal for me). Price is manageable.

New Sitka Kodiak Jacket - Looks amazing and like something I would wear a ton. Long length would be great against the elements. May not be the most packable (26 oz. and pretty big). Way expensive.

Sitka Dewpoint - Extremely packable and good reviews on durability. I have the pants and like the material. Doesn't come in subalpine but I could live with open country.

Sitka Flash Pullover - I know it's not goretex, but I was thinking if it can simply block wind and a light rain that lasts a couple hours or a heavy rain that lasts a couple minutes, I might be OK. Thought about just getting a dark green pocket poncho to throw over top of the flash if I get in a long major downpour. Least expensive. No hand pockets.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a good understanding of what sitka offers now you just need to see what fits your needs the best. I went with the stormfront. It seemed the strongest of the sitka line. As expensive as they are i wanted the strongest, but its not as packable.

Trial153

WKR
i have a ton of use in my dewpoint. packs great and no issues in prolonged rain.

dunner543

Lil-Rokslider
I think you ought to bite the bullet and go with the kodiak. You'll forget about the extra cost after a while and it sounds like you want it the most plus goretex pro is awesome. Or I can sell you my stormfront for a deal so I can get the kodiak ;)

Jardo

WKR
Dewpoint is my favorite. I have cloudburst and kuiu ultra nx and my favorite is still dewpoint. It has pockets. The are integrated into the pit zips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to muddy the waters, but I prefer the Cloudburst to the Dewpoint. The Dewpoint is awesome, but I definitely prefer the separate pocket to the one integrated with the pit zips.

My needs are similar to yours. Most of my use is in the East with occasional trips out West.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for some input on a rain jacket. I live in PA. I'm out in the woods about every night after school, every weekend of hunting season, and fishing from April to October. Also getting more into backpacking. Heading out to Montana at least 2 or 3 times this summer for some high country trips. Looking for wind protection, but also must be able to withstand a couple hours of rain. Hoping for something very packable (has to fit inside new Sitka Mountain Approach pack). Going with Sitka because it's the best in my experience. Money is a factor. Here's my thoughts. Please let me know if you have any opinions or input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sitka Cloudburst - Great reputation for being consistently waterproof and holding up over long periods of time. Packable (20 oz) but still has pockets (kinda a big deal for me). Price is manageable.

New Sitka Kodiak Jacket - Looks amazing and like something I would wear a ton. Long length would be great against the elements. May not be the most packable (26 oz. and pretty big). Way expensive.

Sitka Dewpoint - Extremely packable and good reviews on durability. I have the pants and like the material. Doesn't come in subalpine but I could live with open country.

Sitka Flash Pullover - I know it's not goretex, but I was thinking if it can simply block wind and a light rain that lasts a couple hours or a heavy rain that lasts a couple minutes, I might be OK. Thought about just getting a dark green pocket poncho to throw over top of the flash if I get in a long major downpour. Least expensive. No hand pockets.

If you already have the dew point pants just go with the dew point jacket as well. There is no need to changed up patterns or wear two different patterns at that. I personally have both and I love the dew point just for the fact of how light it is and how packable it can be. The cloudburst is also my favorite but yes it is the subalpine pattern. It does come in an open country pattern so if that is something you are really wanting that's an option. If not just stick with the dew point series.

The Kodiak is a great jacket but it is very long. It goes down to about the knee. I personally haven't been able to test it out yet as it just came out and I'm not gunna be in Alaska for awhile. I got to try out the Apex series a few months back before they released it and that stuff is the best yet for archery season. We also have a bunch of SItka options as we are the largest dealer for them in the US. So check out the website 1 Shot Gear - Premium Hunting Gear

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
If you already have the dew point pants just go with the dew point jacket as well. There is no need to changed up patterns or wear two different patterns at that. I personally have both and I love the dew point just for the fact of how light it is and how packable it can be. The cloudburst is also my favorite but yes it is the subalpine pattern. It does come in an open country pattern so if that is something you are really wanting that's an option. If not just stick with the dew point series.

The Kodiak is a great jacket but it is very long. It goes down to about the knee. I personally haven't been able to test it out yet as it just came out and I'm not gunna be in Alaska for awhile. I got to try out the Apex series a few months back before they released it and that stuff is the best yet for archery season. We also have a bunch of SItka options as we are the largest dealer for them in the US. So check out the website 1 Shot Gear - Premium Hunting Gear

Thanks! I have the dewpoint pants in the lead color, so I was hoping to get subalpine so it would be a little better for turkeys back home. Also would love to hear a review on that Kodiak jacket! Thanks for the help.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks! I have the dewpoint pants in the lead color, so I was hoping to get subalpine so it would be a little better for turkeys back home. Also would love to hear a review on that Kodiak jacket! Thanks for the help.

No problem, happy to help! We are working on putting together product review videos for all of the new Sitka Gear. Did you have any specific questions on the Kodiak Jacket?

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
No problem, happy to help! We are working on putting together product review videos for all of the new Sitka Gear. Did you have any specific questions on the Kodiak Jacket?

Just curious if it's packable? I found the weight on the website and it's really not that much heavier than cloudburst or thunderhead. I'd like to see how small you can fold/roll it up.

Really wish there were more reviews on Sitka gear. For example, would love to see someone sit out in a rainstorm with flash pullover and see how long it takes to get wet.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Cloudburst fan here.

Got it for a good price. I haven't used it on an extended backpack trip yet , but I have enough time on such trips that I know this jacket will fit my needs perfectly.
It is packable enough for my needs (mostly pushing through rain soaked thick underbrush and tall grass) and is definitely durable. Sitting out a storm or glassing in rain is one thing but when you have to trek through soaked underbrush your rain gear gets tested quickly, and in my experience the lightest packable rain suits don't hold up to this well.

I bought it as a multi purpose jacket and have had it out on the coast of Washington in constant wind driven rain as well as fishing with it on. It is a great shell, with the right amount of pockets in the right places.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just curious if it's packable? I found the weight on the website and it's really not that much heavier than cloudburst or thunderhead. I'd like to see how small you can fold/roll it up.

Really wish there were more reviews on Sitka gear. For example, would love to see someone sit out in a rainstorm with flash pullover and see how long it takes to get wet.

I know its not going to pack down like the dew point would. It does pack down pretty small for how big it is and how much material there is. We will make a few videos showing how packable the new products are.