Dropping softshell in back country

Owenst7

WKR
What advantage does the fleece have over the soft shell? Looks like everything you mentioned makes the soft shell a better choice.

A feece is about 1/3 of the weight, compresses to about half the volume, only costs $20, and is more breathable and therefore doesn't act as a vapor barrier underneath my rain shell. A fleece is also stretchy and far more comfortable to sleep in.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I find that the softshell, while slightly heavier, is more versatile than a fleece.

When I am hunting, I'm typically doing one of three things:

Moving quickly to get from one place to another (not really hunting, just travelling)

Stalking

Sitting still (glassing or waiting in ambush)

If I'm moving quickly, I'm typically just wearing my base layer, as the movement is keeping me warm. If the wind is blowing hard, or it's snowing or sleeting, or anything other than full on rain, then a softshell allows me to keep moving without having to put on rain gear (which overheats me no matter how "breathable" it is.)

If I'm stalking, I'm moving slowly. Softshell is perfect for this, as it provides some warmth, and also gives good weather protection from anything other than full on rain.

If I'm sitting, I just pull my puffy jacket on over my softshell, and I'm happy.

So:

My typical system is base layer; softshell; puffy jacket; ultralight rain gear.

This is what the softshell is really meant for - a tough, versatile mid/outer layer that blends a fleece and a breathable “wind shirt” of sorts. In that scenario it can make a lot of sense, as you’ve pointed out.

I think the “useless” characterization also fits some people when it comes to soft shells. Depends on how you run your kit, and the garment design. If you’re already running a mid layer hoody or fleece, etc, the softshell becomes an extra piece that doesn’t add much besides weight.

I look at them like that FL sawtooth jacket - you need to value versatility and wide range of applicable conditions. Run it over a baselayer, vent it, or zip it up tight. Works all over the map. Different kind of hybrid/approach but same idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the perspectives. Many options and combos. I think it's fair to say it's a personal choice with benefits and drawbacks for each. I think for me I will stick to the light weight softshell because I already have it and I don't have a good mid layer fleece...Yet!

Owenst7

WKR
Appreciate all the perspectives. Many options and combos. I think it's fair to say it's a personal choice with benefits and drawbacks for each. I think for me I will stick to the light weight softshell because I already have it and I don't have a good mid layer fleece...Yet!

You can get them for about $20 at Walgreens in most areas. If you prefer a full zip, the ECWCS gen 3 fleeces are $20-$40 depending on how hard you search eBay/Amazon.

FL has a new soft shell coming and I did pre order it.
I do not currently use a soft shell in any hunt applications.
I do have a fleece 1/4 zip, but also haven't included it yet.

I wear a merino base, chama hoody, then either a puffy vest or light weight cirrius puffy. If it is more cooler then I add another standard puffy, but still not the big ones.
I have yet to need more than that for warmth.

It will be interesting to see what FL new soft shell is like

Mike7

WKR
I really want to like softshell jackets, but in the backcountry so far they seem like a suboptimal option to me...unless they are being used as your only outer shell in below freezing temperatures, or are a very thin/lightweight outer layer (like a ferrosi) and being used to keep brush from tearing up base & mid layers.

Fleece is much lighter, more breathable, and warmer than any softshell that I have ever worn. A midweight fleece pullover + a few oz Patagonia windshirt weigh together 1/2 of what a regular softshell weighs, and with more performance.

I hunt quite a bit less and a bit differently than most.

I am a big softshell fan. Years ago in the army, a soft shell was a unicorn. A top that can go from 70 and sunny to near freezing and handle light rain and snow. Wow. When my options were cotton bud top or 3 layer goretex jacket, a softshell was a revelution.

I admit you can probably mix and match other layers to get the warmth and utility of a softshell in your kit. I also admIt those options are lighter and more compressible than a soft shell. However, there is still a place in my kit for a softshell. Repels 80% of precipitation. 80% of the windproofness of a nard shell. A bit of warmth. Works for me.

Soft sheets are jacks of all trades but really masters of none.

Softshell for me. In AZ it is a more useful, versatile, and rugged piece of gear in my opinion.
That being said i usually have a down puffy compressed in my pack i’ll throw on under the shell if need be.

I actually built my cool/cold weather backcountry clothing system around a preference for soft-shell outer garments. First, I need a quiet outer layer for close-in bowhunting. I also need some degree of wind and water repellency in that quiet outer layer. Flex and stretch characteristics matter when wearing it all day, and for stalking in. Also, I like the fact that my soft-shells are very good at not getting dirty over the course of a nonstop 2 week hunt. I'm almost always wearing 1-2 base layers followed by soft-shell pants and jacket. Rain gear is stowed. Puffy (always goose down) is stowed. My puffy jacket or vest is only worn while sitting in cold or windy conditions. I'm never wearing it when the hunt for a particular animal is on.

I do like fleece very much but only as a mid layer if it's windy. As a term, fleece is used so widely and casually that some 'fleece' garments are nothing about fleece. A light micro-layer of something resembling a fuzzy flocking is applied to the inside of a fabric and it's called a fleece something-or-other. Fleece to me is Polar Fleece or other somewhat thicker 'fleecier' fabrics suitable for use as a mid/outer layer in the right conditions. A lot of what I see is more of a hybrid fabric....say the KUIU Peloton for example. Many soft-shells have a fleece-like inner layer bonded directly to the shell fabric for added warmth.

As always, I'm far more about versatility and usefulness than ounces. I'll bear the extra ounces to wear what works the best for me and how I hunt...the environment...climate, etc.

snowplow

WKR
Im a soft shell guy but am trying the other route this year.

However, l noticed the wind go right through the fanatic hoody so l got rid of it. But l got the kuiu peloton 240 and it cuts the wind completely.

I would call the peloton a hybrid softshell. More on the fleece side but hybridish. Love it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Fleece to me is Polar Fleece or other somewhat thicker 'fleecier' fabrics suitable for use as a mid/outer layer in the right conditions.

Fleece has many weight options. I have a few "microfleece" mock T's that I absolutely love for Aug and Sept archery season. They are very thin so breathe very well, but they also provide just enough warmth to take the chill off in the mornings or for those cool days. Then you've generally got 100, 200, and 300 weight fleece which are all varying thicknesses of fleece. A brand new 300 weight will be thick and furry feeling. But as they wear and the more you wash them.......a 300 will eventually be a 200, and then maybe a 100 in thickness and loft.

But yes, a true fleece has no wind or rain barrier. If it does.......then it's not going to breathe as well, and will be noisier than a normal fleece. I did try a wind barrier fleece one time years ago, and it sounded like I was wearing a plastic garbage bag.

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Im a soft shell guy but am trying the other route this year.

However, l noticed the wind go right through the fanatic hoody so l got rid of it. But l got the kuiu peloton 240 and it cuts the wind completely.

I would call the peloton a hybrid softshell. More on the fleece side but hybridish. Love it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
I think the Peloton 240 and Sitka 90% are similar in feel usefulness. The 90% has a few pockets and dwr so it's 6-7 oz heavier.

I did try a wind barrier fleece one time years ago, and it sounded like I was wearing a plastic garbage bag.

I'll be a witness to that. I had a sweater with Windstopper inner layer and it was THE most irritating thing (for noise) I've ever worn. Sounded like a layer of cellophane in there.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
IMO a soft shell is only a viable choice if it has a windstoper membrane and good DWR and can be vented like a Sitka Jetstream for example. Perhaps the best option overall for anything but backpacking or very warm early season hunts. If your soft shell can't block the wind and wont hold up to some precipitation then you also better carry a lightweight rain shell jacket. Now the soft shell makes more sense.

For backpacking hunts I have always used a 3 layer gortex for my main jacket combined with a mid weight fleece hoodie and down puffy. You have to be prepared for anything and I don't trust the durability of the lightweight 2 layer gortex jackets and they are not as functional/designed to be worn as a main hunting jacket . The 3 layer will save you if you run into nasty wet weather and will block the wind totally.

Trial153

WKR
I am thinking out my clothing now and listing a few pieces for sale before I place my new Sitka order.
I could not imagine going through a year bowhunting without my jetstream jacket and vest, it’s pretty much untouchable...my go to piece.

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking out my clothing now and listing a few pieces for sale before I place my new Sitka order.
I could not imagine going through a year bowhunting without my jetstream jacket and vest, it’s pretty much untouchable...my go to piece.

What are you wanting to buy and sell? Just curious.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I am in the minority but I love my Kuiu Teton softshell. I use it as an outer layer and add/subtract layers under. It is pretty light weight and has a light fleece inside. I basically use it is a full zip fleece with better wind blocking.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What do the guys who don't use a soft shells use for bottoms?

I wear merino base bottoms and my Microtex Lite or Microtex pants and that's it. I have never needed more than that ever during archery season. Nor do I ever take anything more than those.

For later season I wear the merino base and wool pants.