Dropping softshell in back country

For backpacking in the high country I always have KUIU Chugach rain gear, top and bottom in BC. Virtually always pack a KUIU super down hooded full zipper puffy and zip-off pants bottoms too...unless it is really warm summer weather and a short trip. Mid layer is a Cabelas Microtex unlined jacket and as well as a button shirt, either the regular or light weight (as mentioned by 5-miles back). Pants are always KUIU Attack unless I switch to heavier wool in late season.

I wear Paradox (Costco) Merino/poly blend base layers exclusively, zip neck tee and bottoms. Costco Merino wool socks...two pair. The combo listed has worked for me in BC, NWT as well as Feb in Nunavut with caribou parka and pants over it. Good stuff!

I find that the softshell, while slightly heavier, is more versatile than a fleece.

When I am hunting, I'm typically doing one of three things:

Moving quickly to get from one place to another (not really hunting, just travelling)

Stalking

Sitting still (glassing or waiting in ambush)

If I'm moving quickly, I'm typically just wearing my base layer, as the movement is keeping me warm. If the wind is blowing hard, or it's snowing or sleeting, or anything other than full on rain, then a softshell allows me to keep moving without having to put on rain gear (which overheats me no matter how "breathable" it is.)

If I'm stalking, I'm moving slowly. Softshell is perfect for this, as it provides some warmth, and also gives good weather protection from anything other than full on rain.

If I'm sitting, I just pull my puffy jacket on over my softshell, and I'm happy.

So:

My typical system is base layer; softshell; puffy jacket; ultralight rain gear.

My feelings to a T. Give me a soft shell with pit zips that will cut the wind. A fleece over a base layer just makes me sweat more while active and doesn't prevent chill from the wind.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmmmm a mid-layer fleece + windshirt is > softshell- it's going to weigh the same or probably less, the dead air space between the fleece and windshirt will make it warmer, the windshirt can be layered over just a base layer (for on the move, this is probably 50% or more of what I wear), the windshirt can be layered over your puffy as well, you can wear just the fleece and base layer when you don't need the wind or light precip protection

simply a much more flexible system fleece + windshirt vs just a sofshell

mcseal2

WKR
I am finding myself using fleece less. I rifle hunt but still like pretty silent clothing. The FL Chama or Sawtooth are layers I really like but sometimes they need something windproof, water resistant, or less likely to pick up burrs over them. The Sitka Mountain Vest or Jacket are filling this niche pretty well for me depending on the hunt and other layers I use. My vest is 10oz and I think the jacket is under 15 if I remember right. They are pretty breathable while stopping wind very well. They are much quieter than my Sitka Cloudburst or FL SEAK rain jackets. The Mountain vest over a Chama lets me keep the wind from hitting my core while letting me be pretty active. I like that combo for when I'm cruising and glassing, not gaining a ton of elevation getting to an area or sitting for long periods of time, but moving quietly between vantages I can get looks at different angles from. I don't always get to scout for my hunts so I have to employ this method more than I'd like trying to locate game. I also use a Kuiu Kenai as my puffy on a lot of hunts and it breathes awesome but is not very windproof. The Mountain jacket or vest can go right over it and compensate for that.

Most of my hunts are later and probably colder on average than the bow hunters, I'm sure that influences my choices.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How many of you have dropped the softshell for puffy and rain jacket only on back country hunts? What's the consensus on this strategy?

I dropped it but just today traded for another. I plan to use it’s my second layer over a ss t in September. A soft shell adds just a bit more wind, weather resistance while not holding burs as bad compared to a fleece. It has to be the right one though. Typically a hunting brand is softer, quieter and cut to not interfere with shooting. Also like having at least one chest pocket along with hand pockets. I like my odds and ends in reach on me instead of getting into my pack. Don’t care for putting much in a bino harness.

I still bring a puffy and rain jacket. Puffy fits over the soft shell. Since I run cool I found myself needing my puffy too often as the fleece wasn’t enough when stopped at mild temperatures. I will say the kenai puffy pulled double duty while being quiet. I sold it because the hood didn’t agree with me and it was huge in my pack.

I suppose it depends on what kind of hunt, how steep, how important is every ounce. My deer and early elk hunts aren’t extremely deep or steep. Once in the area it’s more walking in the woods than climbing a mountain like a sheep hunt. Jackets like the 90%, chinook that don’t have hoods actually pack down really close to a fleece.