Dropping softshell in back country

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you have dropped the softshell for puffy and rain jacket only on back country hunts? What's the consensus on this strategy?

92xj

WKR
I've never taken the a soft shell with me.
Wool Base
Fleece
Puffy
Rain shell

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly September. Elk rut hunting or even early mule dear in August.

92xj

WKR
All season?

If this was directed to me. Yeah, I never take the softshell into the backwoods on any overnighter.
Softshell is worn when I'm back at the truck each night.
Weight vs warmth compared to the listed above doesn't makes sense for me. Puffy is way warmer and lighter for me. If it starts pouring rain, the rain shell goes over. If I'm wearing a softshell and it starts pouring, the rain shell goes over the softshell as well. So for me, I'm comparing the softshell and puffy in my system. Camp on my back and miles of hiking, I'll take the puffy over the softshell every single time.

You'll find most follow the: Base-mid layer-puffy-rain jacket model.
I did for a few years too.
I'm the minority, but I find a fleece layer almost totally useless when backpacking. Most aren't windproof. Most aren't weather resistant at all. And all add very little warmth.
I have tried like heck to find one I like and I come to the same conclusion every time: If you find a good softshell that has pit zips and/or breathes very well, for the cost of a few ounces, I feel like I have a more useful garment.
Tested the Halstead and Chama hoody from first lite, the kryptek sherpa, kuiu 210 merino hoody and 240 peloton hoodie and the sitka core hoody.
I should say that my engine does run cold and maybe I just like the extra warmth that a softshell gives me.
I've concluded that I'm an odd duck, because most absolutely love there fleece/mid-layer. And couldn't imagine leaving it at home.
Try it out and make your own decision. Everybody is different.

I guess the argument is softshell vs puffy but I look at it like softshell vs fleece.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I never wear the softshell jacket, but I will sometimes use a thin softshell vest. I pretty much follow the norm though, merino base, fleece mid (merino mid at times, especially in combination with softshell vest), puffy, and rain shell.

HeadnWest

WKR
I've only hunted Elk in September and have never brought a soft shell. Wool baselayer, Halstad fleece and Puffy when needed. (mostly around camp, also used for my pillow) I do bring a lightweight rain jacket as well.

I don't backpack hunt so this may be stupid, but why would you choose a fleece mid layer over something like the Sitka Jetstream? Is the fleece that much lighter than the Jeststream? Seems like more bang out of the softshell than the fleece.

Trial153

WKR
I don't backpack hunt so this may be stupid, but why would you choose a fleece mid layer over something like the Sitka Jetstream? Is the fleece that much lighter than the Jeststream? Seems like more bang out of the softshell than the fleece.
thats has always been my thinking. Fleece midlayers are pretty much useless as they are totaly one dimensional

TravKatQ

WKR
I follow the base layer-mid fleece-puffy-rain jacket model backpacking. Never failed me in extreme conditions and am plenty warm. It’s a personal preference I believe, other buddies always bring soft shells but I seem to do just fine with my setup. I also pack on the ultra light mindset so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
These are interesting perspectives. Thank you! I have a Sitka 90% jacket. It may not compress as well as fleece but it's pretty light weight (like 18oz.) I front country hunted in Montana last year and wore it almost 100% of the time as my outer shell during snow and sleet conditions. Never put my rain jacket on, but I know if it was raining instead I would have. If it's warmer, I'll probably try the merino, mid fleece, puffy, rain jacket system. If it's snowy again, I'll probably stick to the 90% jacket.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't use a softshell, but that's my preference. The last couple of years I have ran a mid-weight technical fleece hoodie to be my go-to rather than a softshell. It doesn't do well in the rain, but neither is a softshell. It does OK, in the wind...probably less effective than a softshell at shucking the wind, however, it does well with ~10 mph winds; if the winds exceed, then I'll throw my rain shell on over it.

I run a merino t shirt (I'm cold blooded), merino light weight LS Tee, and a kuiu peleton 240 hoodie most of the time in CO archery season . I keep a puffy and rain jacket for evening sits, glassing in wind or when it gets cold. I've blown out a couple of elk due to noise of my puffy, so I try to avoid wearing in the morning and evening. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't use a softshell, but that's my preference. The last couple of years I have ran a mid-weight technical fleece hoodie to be my go-to rather than a softshell. It doesn't do well in the rain, but neither is a softshell. It does OK, in the wind...probably less effective than a softshell at shucking the wind, however, it does well with ~10 mph winds; if the winds exceed, then I'll throw my rain shell on over it.

I run a merino t shirt (I'm cold blooded), merino light weight LS Tee, and a kuiu peleton 240 hoodie most of the time in CO archery season . I keep a puffy and rain jacket for evening sits, glassing in wind or when it gets cold. I've blown out a couple of elk due to noise of my puffy, so I try to avoid wearing in the morning and evening. Hope this helps.

What advantage does the fleece have over the soft shell? Looks like everything you mentioned makes the soft shell a better choice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have never even owned a softshell. Still not 100% sure that I could even identify one in a lineup. But I do love my fleece, wear it year round. I have many pieces of all different weight fleece jackets etc. I guess it depends on how you hunt. I'm always on the move, and fleece is very comfortable, it's warm, it's dead quiet, it breathes very well for active hunting, it's cheap, and if it gets wet all you have to do is shake it out and it's dry again. I'm not even sure why I would need a softshell. If I get cold when I stop I can throw on my lightweight puffy. I've been chasing elk in the high country since 1980 using fleece as a mid or outer layer. Not about to change now.

OP
L

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I guess for back country it comes down to a slight weight savings but mostly preference. I have 3 different softshells made from Sitka, Kryptek & North Face. The only one that is really meant for hunting is the Sitka 90% and it's very light and has a nice minimalist fit. I also have the Sitka mid-weight zip-T that provides very little protection but is also very light. I probably save 10 ounces with the zip-T over the 90% but it would only be good for super mild conditions.

4ester

WKR
Im pretty sure that fleece is considered a softshell, at least that was my understanding.

And for me I use a base merino, chama merino, puffy jacket and rain shell system.

I find that the softshell, while slightly heavier, is more versatile than a fleece.

When I am hunting, I'm typically doing one of three things:

Moving quickly to get from one place to another (not really hunting, just travelling)

Stalking

Sitting still (glassing or waiting in ambush)

If I'm moving quickly, I'm typically just wearing my base layer, as the movement is keeping me warm. If the wind is blowing hard, or it's snowing or sleeting, or anything other than full on rain, then a softshell allows me to keep moving without having to put on rain gear (which overheats me no matter how "breathable" it is.)

If I'm stalking, I'm moving slowly. Softshell is perfect for this, as it provides some warmth, and also gives good weather protection from anything other than full on rain.

If I'm sitting, I just pull my puffy jacket on over my softshell, and I'm happy.

So:

My typical system is base layer; softshell; puffy jacket; ultralight rain gear.