Kuiu 145 vs 210 Merino baselayer

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a good Merino baselayer, leaning towards the 145 but love a Lightweight Hoody and versatility that I would presume a 210 would bring, just don’t know if it’s too warm to be a base. Who here has experience with both of these items to give a good plus and minus of both?

Looking for a good Merino baselayer, leaning towards the 145 but love a Lightweight Hoody and versatility that I would presume a 210 would bring, just don’t know if it’s too warm to be a base. Who here has experience with both of these items to give a good plus and minus of both?
In for the comments. I've been eyeballing a 210 for cold weather stuff myself. Looking for a good baselayer for down into the teens.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
I think the 210 would be to heavy for base unless your into the really cold stuff. I liked the 145 better, seems more versatile. Also the 210 hardly has any stretch to it. And the pilling problem..

i have both. 145 is great for warm weather and on into fall as a base in the morning and standalone when it warms up. I have no issues with the 210 but yes it is thicker therefore not as much stretch. Still not restrictive. When it gets cold i like to layer with both and a lightish jacket. I think about any merino is gonna "pill" but it doesnt seem to affect anything besides internet reviews on here from uber picky gearnuts.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. The 145 definitely has more stretch and in my opinion has more of a normal fit than the 210. The 210 seem so to be sized down some but perhaps it just seems that way becasue the 210 has a lot less stretch. For me I need to size up the 210 for it to fit similar to the 145. As far as warmth, the 210 is much warmer than the 145. The 145 is comfortable on cool mornings until the sun comes up while it needs to be pretty cold (below 32) for the 210 to be comfortable for me. The side zippers are awesome on the bottoms.

Eta - I i had to choose one or the other it would be the 145 for sure. Much more versatile.

codym

WKR
I have the 125, 145, the 210 and the 230 FL chama. I wouldn't have one or the other 145 vs 210, I think they work really well together. I use these two pieces plus the soft shell and that covers me for pretty much everything I do.

I have the 125, 145, the 210 and the 230 FL chama. I wouldn't have one or the other 145 vs 210, I think they work really well together. I use these two pieces plus the soft shell and that covers me for pretty much everything I do.
Well, there went the neighborhood...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
gdavis

gdavis

Lil-Rokslider
All good info thank you. Here is what im lookin at running. I run hot (very hot) even up here in AK. Going 145 base, with a 97 Peloton hoody (5oz) just in case im in lower temps and on the move, and getting the new FL Catalyst Soft shell and then having the down jacket and chugach rain gear. Was back and forth on the 210 and 145, I don't need both just need a good base layer as I am very high on the versatility of that 97, crazy light weight and good warmth for on the go. If I am moving, im warm, even in the 30s. I shovel snow in my driveway in single digits in a T shirt with gloves. Spot and stalk is the only hunting that we really do and weight/packability is a huge factor doing fly out/pack out hunts in remote Alaska.

codym

WKR
All good info thank you. Here is what im lookin at running. I run hot (very hot) even up here in AK. Going 145 base, with a 97 Peloton hoody (5oz) just in case im in lower temps and on the move, and getting the new FL Catalyst Soft shell and then having the down jacket and chugach rain gear. Was back and forth on the 210 and 145, I don't need both just need a good base layer as I am very high on the versatility of that 97, crazy light weight and good warmth for on the go. If I am moving, im warm, even in the 30s. I shovel snow in my driveway in single digits in a T shirt with gloves. Spot and stalk is the only hunting that we really do and weight/packability is a huge factor doing fly out/pack out hunts in remote Alaska.

Sounds good to me. Let me know how you like that catalyst, I was gonna buy one this year but had no reason to replace my kuiu soft shell. I think for a straight base layer the 145 will be perfect.