Sitka Apex

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I was able to go to SCI this year. While I was at the Sitka Gear booth I spent a lot of time going over the new Apex pieces. Talking with the Sitka folks from Bozeman was very interesting. As you would assume, they all hunt, and most of them bow hunt. They hear our cries for QUIET clothing. They are going to be putting a lot more effort into putting quiet into these systems. This was the first run using all their fancy new testing and sound measuring equipment and I was impressed enough to put an order in. I actually forgot about that until a box showed up at the door Monday. :D

I’d say this Apex system is aimed directly at archery elk hunters and would work for anything out west for sure.

I will write this up from another post I did and come back and put the pics in with the tap a talk thing as that is all I have been able to figure out to overcome Photobucket.

Last edited:
OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The most intriguing piece of the Apex (to me) is the Apex Hoodie. It is a WOOL blend. They have blended the merino with some nylon so it keeps its shape and basically springs back after stretching. I’d call it a mid weight (it is 230g weight and 17.5 micron merino fibers); perfect for throwing over a base layer shirt and chasing bugles.

f8b95078073cc924a23a28642c9289ab.jpg

It has a nice kangaroo pocket low on the shirt (below your bino harness) for “stuff”. Just to give a size I put my 10-15 Leica Duovids in it and snapped a pic. You can see there are also two smaller divided pockets in there as well.

bbea38ad10d351f360a8b08d516cfd27.jpg

The hoodie has the normal built in face mask you can easily get on or out of the way but it has a twist I have not ever had on a shirt...elbow pads.

I love all my Sitka pants that have the knee pads and I can see right away these elbow pads will be something I’m not going to want to give up going forward. I snapped a couple pics of the pad and pocket as it is well thought out and shaped.

73a14f209f8cff557507108adf273fcc.jpg

The other thing I noticed are certain areas of the shirt (like even on inside of the pocket containing the elbow pads) have “bumps” to promote air circulation.

Brilliant.

98f05efa7f976682aefa0d3c6cc2a00f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The Apex pants. I’d say they are right between the Ascent and the Mountain pants in weight; really September perfect in my mind. They have the articulated knee pad I have grown to love and the entire interior of the pant has those same air circulation promoting fabric bumps.

Love that non slip band around the waist to keep your shirt tucked in.

cb2a6a95b8ab580fafeb7ced1a892880.jpg

8178d6f4f4e2d8982c01abcd41b8a238.jpg

7102f123961a17149a8ef3d327763f80.jpg

I think this will be a great set for turkey hunting too and am glad it got here now.

Last edited:
OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I got the Apex pack as well. This is not a haul out your elk pack, this is a stealthy day pack. It sits low on your shoulders and molds around your back. It’s got lots of typical Sitka organization pockets. I stuffed some clothes in and a bugle tube and snapped a couple pics.

eb6f153472ee8a3f9c766153654c7d46.jpg

2869ccd6926982ca14c0724c98f001fe.jpg

Last edited:

Steadman

WKR
If they made the pants in solids I’d likely try them. Great write up Steve. Hope you’re well

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
If they made the pants in solids I’d likely try them. Great write up Steve. Hope you’re well
i'm holding out for solids as well.. i like sitka stuff, i just prefer the solid colored stuff for all my hunting

Lawnboi

WKR
Would you compare the weight of the apex to the Kuiu attacks?

Iv got a set of the new ascents and really like them, but they are more of a mild weather pant

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
In terms of the hoodie, how would you compare it to warmth of the core series? I have a LTW hoodie and a fanatic hoodie (Heavyweight basically).

I consider the Fanatic Hoody a mid weight (have 3 of them) as it is much thinner than my core heavyweight. The Fanatic Hoody is one of my all time favorites. This Apex, to me, is the western version of the Fanatic Hoody.

Trial153

WKR
placing an order today. I think i am going to order the hoddy but not the pants.

The pictures of the fit look a lot like the new ascents which i cant stand.

Kilboars

WKR
Thanks for the info Steve O. I'm glad their addressing the issue of their new line being QUIET. I sold some of their older sitka cloths I had just to make room for the new SubAlpine line last year and after buying almost all the pieces the only thing I kept was a hat:( I was very unhappy about how loud all of the fabrics were. I'm a BIG Sitka fan so I'll start trying this new stuff out again. Thanks again

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t have the newest version of the Mountain pants so am not 100% sure about that but they do fit like my latest pair of Ascents. But with the stretch they aren’t supposed to be baggy.

RAPTOR

WKR
I got my Apex today, and you're spot on. I'd describe it as a subalpine fanatic hoody for the most part. Different feel, more useful pocket and a little bit looser fit (IMO).

Kotaman

WKR
Got my Apex top today. It is really a great piece. About the perfect weight and I love the fabric. I have a couple Fanatic Hoodies and prefer this one to those. If the pants have the same "feel" , they are going to be great as well. This set is a WINNER. I'd be all over this in a solid color as well.

The only thing that would make this more perfect for me (and it is just a personal thing), is that I would prefer a hand muff to a pocket. I love the hand muff on the Fanatic.