Sitka Gear Apex System review by Tony Trietch

can you where the apex hoodie as a base layer like the chama hoody? is it the same blend as their merino base layer blend

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
can you where the apex hoodie as a base layer like the chama hoody? is it the same blend as their merino base layer blend

Not sure what exactly the blend is of merino but it could be worn as a base layer next to skin or over a thin base layer. I see myself using it more as a second layer. I like my first layer to be very thin so if needed I can strip down to only that thin layer to stay as cool as possible.
The Ascent or LW Core Hoody will most likely be what I pair up with the Apex Hoody.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Have had a few trips out chasing turkeys this spring in the Apex Hoody and pant now.

The Hoody is cut bigger than most Sitka tops. I had plenty of room over my Merino Core LW 1/2 zip and never felt tight or loose. It’s feels close the thickness of the Core HW Hoody and will be a good mid layer on the mountain over a thinner base.
There’s a chest pocket and the kangaroo type pocket that zips horizontally and has mesh dividers inside. You can put a lot of small items in there. I had my rangefinder, Tyto knife, turkey skate call and there was plenty room to add more. I won’t put anything heavier than that in there though. It pulls away when bending over if the weight gets to be much.
The elbow pads are pretty small and I forgot they were there after a while. I didn’t crawl on them yet but they stayed right at my elbow and never felt like they were in the way or sliding around.
I think this will be a nice top for cool morning/afternoon hunts when the temp dropped but still isn’t cold enough for a jacket or puffy.

The pants are probably my favorite of the Apex line up so far. They aren’t as slim fitting as the Ascent but still are not baggy.
They fit me perfectly and have a different feel on the inside due to the micro-grid fleece interior. But don’t think fleece as is warm and thick, it’s not a super thick pant. I’ll be using these in August for early archery NV and CO. I’d put the weight/warmth about the same as the Mountain Pant. The pockets have a nice lay out and nothing felt out of place. They have the knee pads like other Sitka pants.
The Hoody and Pant are very quiet and will be perfect for stalking in.

The little Apex pack actually worked pretty good for hauling turkey gear around and fits nice. It’s no weight hauler but it has room for a days worth of gear and a well thought out pocket layout.

I’ll let you know how it goes on the NV or CO scouting trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
06b2e7c76e59aa824484812ed57ad706.jpg

a8517794b1009433df8bd81907fa2b24.jpg
f109d40d5f508255fdc79a91e36263b8.jpg

sr80

WKR
Do these pants and hoody seem to dry pretty quick? Obviously the merino won't dry as fast as synthetic, but just curious mostly about the pants.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Do these pants and hoody seem to dry pretty quick? Obviously the merino won't dry as fast as synthetic, but just curious mostly about the pants.

Both dried out fast after getting rained on. The pants got much more wet than the hoody just due to the fact the hoody comes off when I’m hiking sometimes but both didn’t stay wet long.

TheTone

WKR
I may have missed it, but any issues with the kangaroo pocket interfering or being harder to use with a bino harness and pack belt?

GPool1842

WKR
Thanks for the reviews! For mid-September CO elk at high elevation, would Apex pant or Ascent pant be preferred? I have the Ascent and they are awesome for hot weather here in OK, 90-100 degrees, but wondering if I should pick up the Apex because of the fleece lining. Will the lining be too warm for hiking around mid-Sept 10k-14k feet?

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reviews! For mid-September CO elk at high elevation, would Apex pant or Ascent pant be preferred? I have the Ascent and they are awesome for hot weather here in OK, 90-100 degrees, but wondering if I should pick up the Apex because of the fleece lining. Will the lining be too warm for hiking around mid-Sept 10k-14k feet?

Apex, IMO. I'd rather be too warm than too cold at that altitude. Too warm may be uncomfortable, but too cold ends your hunt.

gelton

WKR
The one thing I couldnt find on their site is - is the Apex pant material 4 way stretch, 2 way stretch, no stretch?

GPool1842

WKR
The one thing I couldnt find on their site is - is the Apex pant material 4 way stretch, 2 way stretch, no stretch?

I don’t know this for certain, but I feel like it’s 2-way. It’s no where near the stretch of the Ascent.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just wore the set on my CO 7 day backpack trip for deer. I freakin loved the pants, I like the hoody as well but would almost rather use a heavy weight core hoody if it's going to be very chilly at all, being that there's more warmth in the heavy weight core. But the pants were on point for me, I didn't bring a base layer bottom and was glassing at 12k feet with wind and was okay. Only a couple of times during the morning briefly before the sun came out did I get really chilled. One of my bigger things on the pants, this is nasty but, they hardly smelled after 7 days. Comfortable, functional and don't smell bad after multiple days. Like I said before in this thread, the Ascents are too thin for what I like but these Apex's were perfect for me early season.

I just wore the set on my CO 7 day backpack trip for deer. I freakin loved the pants, I like the hoody as well but would almost rather use a heavy weight core hoody if it's going to be very chilly at all, being that there's more warmth in the heavy weight core. But the pants were on point for me, I didn't bring a base layer bottom and was glassing at 12k feet with wind and was okay. Only a couple of times during the morning briefly before the sun came out did I get really chilled. One of my bigger things on the pants, this is nasty but, they hardly smelled after 7 days. Comfortable, functional and don't smell bad after multiple days. Like I said before in this thread, the Ascents are too thin for what I like but these Apex's were perfect for me early season.

Thanks Jordan. Quick questions:

How do you contrast the pants fit to other Sitka pants like the ascent?
How do you think the apex would do in serious heat? Say 80 degrees.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jordan. Quick questions:

How do you contrast the pants fit to other Sitka pants like the ascent?
How do you think the apex would do in serious heat? Say 80 degrees.

IMO they have a more slimming fit. With my Ascents I would put things in the thigh pockets and it it was anything heavy it would “swing” with every step. The Apex don’t do that for me which I like. Just feels like a more athletic cut overall.

Heat wise I think they would do fine for me. I had a buddy that thinks they are too warm for 70 degrees, but another buddy that’s with me and would rather them for all early season things. I thought they breathed well hiking in, but then you get that extra little warmth for the chilly mornings and evenings that would breeze right through the Ascents. Hope that helps!