Sitka Gear Apex System review by Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Who doesn't love this time of the year? Draw results are popping every week or two and there's new gear to test!
Sitka has asked me to review the new Apex System and I was more than happy to help . This includes the Apex Hoody, Pant and pack.

The gear showed up this week and I will get out in it this weekend for some Turkey scouting (sorry Ryan, I know you don't like turkeys) and hiking/training.
If you haven't been able to check out what Sitka has to say about their newest big game outerwear, here is the scoop from them;

The Apex Hoody combines the benefits of merino wool and nylon in a specialized design purpose-built for big game pursuits. The merino-nylon blend offers natural moisture and odor management as well as comfort and noise reduction while retaining great stretch for navigating technical terrain. Reinforcement in the shoulders, arms and elbows will withstand years of abuse and removable elbow pads buffer long stalks and glassing sessions on unforgiving vantages.
Apex Hoody [NEW] | SITKA Gear

The Apex Pant is equipped to meet the dynamic demands of big game hunting. A soft micro-grid fleece interior balances warmth and breathability during varying levels of activity while a bonded polyester face provides weather resistance and noise reduction. Removable knee pads and internally divided cargo pockets add function and stealth to an adaptable pant ready to hunt from early season well into the fall.
Apex Pant [NEW] | SITKA Gear

Streamlined for stealth with a durable build and easily-deployable components that place essential gear at a hunter’s fingertips, the Apex redefines the day pack. The low-profile frameless design reduces noise and abrasion while providing an ample 1,800 cubic inches of storage for days when a morning glassing session turns into an all-day stalk. A body-hugging waist belt features multiple pockets, including easily deployable/retractable cam cables to rest your bow when waiting out a close encounter with a stubborn bull.
Apex Pack [NEW] | SITKA Gear

You'll get my take on them as soon as I have some time in them to warrant an opinion. From there I'll get into the mountains scouting this summer and I'll let you know how they treat me throughout the season.

My first thoughts just unpacking them and trying them on was typical Sitka quality. The fit is spot on with how last years gear fit. Hit me with any and all questions you have, I'll get them answered best I can asap. If you want specific pictures, just ask!

Sitka Gear Apes System Review

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
b598b38035d3031904815051afb3c394.jpg

6b13e052e9de4ff4ce2ad99d7b49b4d1.jpg

ed5df190cdbc08d2c9b588fa21a8dbaa.jpg

088c796071ecc5a7ad2644a16b6f2b41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
There’s gonna be a small delay on my first thoughts of the Apex, I got the wrong size pant.
I’ll report back ASAP!

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Had my first experience with Sitka's return/exchange system yesterday. That was clean and easy. Called and a real human picked up the phone! No press ___ if you are calling from earth....

Should have the right size this week, just in time for my first spring hunt!

Ten Bears

WKR
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these.

This series really perked my ears when I saw the release.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Fit and feel, are excellent. Durability... man, I'm a little bummed. I've worn mine on two turkey hunts, already have two holes in them. I'm used to being able to beat the crap out of my mountain pants or timberlines. Not so much with these. They are amazingly comfortable though, but I'm a little worried about long term wear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Fit and feel, are excellent. Durability... man, I'm a little bummed. I've worn mine on two turkey hunts, already have two holes in them. I'm used to being able to beat the crap out of my mountain pants or timberlines. Not so much with these. They are amazingly comfortable though, but I'm a little worried about long term wear.

That is surprising to hear, are they cuts from something sharp?

How warm are they? See,s like it is a Fall or later type of garment with a fleece lining.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've been through a lot of brush, and up and over a lot of blow downs. Never felt like anything had caught, just did a once over on them when I got in last night and discovered them. I definitely can't point to an "a-ha" kind of moment.
That is surprising to hear, are they cuts from something sharp?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
How warm are they? See,s like it is a Fall or later type of garment with a fleece lining.

I’ve yet to test it in different temps. The hoody is thicker than the Ascent top, maybe close to the Heavy weight Core hoody?
I’ll get them out and together to judge for ya. It’ll be later this afternoon

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Got my son a pair of pants for turkey hunting this year and he loves them. Works out having a 6'3" 12 year old as mama lets him get what ever he wants and it fits me to.:)

4IbLS4M.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
9d538c276099590135cfd4564f5a8cf9.jpg

Apex hoody in size Large with the elbow pads in.
I’ll weigh the elbow pads later to see what you can save by taking them out.

thanks so much. its listed as 20 oz on the website which didnt seem right. thanks for confirming and would appreciate the weight without the elbow pads as well

sneaky

"DADDY"
I need to weigh my XL apex hoody and see what it comes in at

Bughalli

WKR
Apex hoody looks awesome, lots of nice features ....but the price, holy cow. Over $200 for a shirt is nuts. I picked up my Firstlite hoody for less than a $100 on sale. I really like Sitka products, but that's just too much.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just chiming in with my .02 on the Apex! I haven't done much with the shirt yet, but I've hiked a little bit in the pants. So far I am really liking them. The Ascent's were just too light for my liking and these seem to fit that early season bill for me much better. I like the silent snaps and the organization within the pockets. They are super quiet. They will be my go-to pant for early fall mule deer!