New Mexico- Puffy vs rain gear- First lite

lgill01

FNG
Hey guys,
I know both a puffy jacket and rain gear hold their places in our systems, but im wondering if anyone has gotten so cold as to need to use a Insulated Puffy Jacket? If not id rather invest in new rain gear.
I have plenty of light and mid weight gear just not sure if a puffy jacket needs to be in my bag but want to hear others experiences down here in New Mexico!

Thanks in advance

I dont know anything about New Mexico but maybe you dont need to choose. You can probably find a nonhunting puffy to carry in case you need it. I bought an Eddie Bauer puffy from Sams club for about $35. I wear it as a layer and it works good. Just something to coinsider.

JPD350

WKR
There has been some NM Septembers that have been pretty cold, not many but once you shake involuntarily for a couple days you will always carry something to keep you warm regardless. The cold comes from the monsoon weather, rain, hail, wind and high humidity is a combination that will get to your core without a doubt.

I have a Kelvin lite jacket that is very light, doubles as a pillow and is a layer that never leaves my pack. Even if it is somewhat warm out and you have to spend the night in the woods it is nice to have about 3 am in the morning.

codym

WKR
I carry Merino base then a merino mid a softshell and my old gortex from my marine corp days in case of a down pour. I have never been cold with that stuff in Sept. Last september I don't even think I started the hunt with a mid layer, just the base but it also didn't really rain on my hunt which is rare.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
From my brief experience last fall (and living here obviously), I'd rank a puffy higher than rain gear. I imagine of I was living outdoors all fall ever year (July/August monsoons not included) I'd probably use a puffy 10 to 1 more than rain gear. When it does rain, it rarely lasts more than 20-30 minutes or is a very light sprinkle if longer. However, a Nov mule deer hunt will consistently get cool in the evenings. I still took (and will take) both, but my rain gear is just a cheap, 12oz insurance piece.

Hey guys,
I know both a puffy jacket and rain gear hold their places in our systems, but im wondering if anyone has gotten so cold as to need to use a Insulated Puffy Jacket? If not id rather invest in new rain gear.
I have plenty of light and mid weight gear just not sure if a puffy jacket needs to be in my bag but want to hear others experiences down here in New Mexico!

Thanks in advance
what do you mean by an insulated puffy? aren't puffies insulated?
What season are you talking about? For the first three weeks of September up to 11K feet, I carry a light set of thermal underwear that I almost never use, a light camouflage shirt (button down, full length sleeves), plus a mid-weight and heavy polarfleece shirt (also button down and long sleeve). I use a light set of crappy frog togs raingear. usually it's sufficient, there's some days I wish I had good rain gear when it does rain all day, but usually for a quick shower, I'll just throw up a tarp that has about a 12 foot ridgeline and hunker down for 30 minutes or an hour or whatever. Even in 2013 in the Gila when it was raining so much that the elk had galoshes and the town of Mogollon nearly washed away, I got by with this system. You won't regret having better rain gear however.
For January hunts, I have a heavier jacket and layer more. You have to get used to regulating your temp by adding/removing layers for the 40 + degree temperature swings, especially in the south where you are.

If you're hunting in Sept, pack the rain gear, and probably don't pack the puffy. I'm typically in merino, like Cody, and I like having a vest or a midweight pullover for Sept in either the Lincoln or Gila.

January is a different story, and you're definitely going to want to pack the puffy, and layer up good. It gets cold as a witch's tit in a brass bra in the desert at night in the winter time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
You have not given a lot of information for us to give you an informed opinion. I would need to consider a budget first of all. I would then look at things like will you be truck hunting or 10 miles deep? Will it be raining often? How thick is the cover you will be hunting in? Average temps during your hunt? I am constantly reevaluating my gear but I do not see myself being without a puffy during any hunt. The puffy may be the single most versatile clothing piece and I am very cold blooded. Even on hunts that get into the high 80s the mornings are usually chilly enough for me to wear a puffy. Rain gear on the other hand rarely gets used but if you need it you don't want to be stuck without it. I am personally running the lightest rain gear I could find with pockets.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Get some packable rain gear like Cabela's Space Suit (pretty affordable), and a quality puffy (FL would be my first choice, I have the uncompahgre vest which is awesome and plan to pick up the jacket too)