Grid Fleece or 2nd Merino for Northern Colorado Bivy Hunt

aion2come

WKR
Ok, here is the scenario. I'm headed to northern Colorado in mid-Sept for a bivy hunt. Altitude will be anywhere from 9000 to 11500. I'm trying to decide on my clothing list. For my top I have a merino, a puffy, and a rain shell. Do I bring a 2nd merino top for layering, or a grid fleece? Thoughts?

I've gone back and forth. I run hot when moving, and cold when not moving. The extra breathability of a 2nd merino sounds great for when on the go early and late. The better wind resistance of the fleece sounds good going slow ... when I need an extra layer but am moving to much for the puffy. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

On a related note, if I go the fleece route, I'm looking at the Kryptek Sherpa. Any thoughts on that piece? How does it do at cutting wind, etc? Does it have any antimicrobial properties? How does it stack up against First Lite, etc?

WoodBow

WKR
I have tried both ways and for me fleece gets the win for layer 2. Merino is awesome for next to skin but that is where its application ends for me. Synthetic provides a much better warmth to weight ratio for 2nd and 3rd layers. I hunt pretty much what you describe. I absolutely love my sitka core heavy weight hoody for layer 2. By heavy weight, they mean for a base layer. It's not some bulky piece. I have not tried any fleece (besides those with a windstop layer) that do much to cut the wind. That's what your rain jacket or puffy is for.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a mid to heavier, hooded grid fleece will be a welcomed addition- on the move in cold conditions (over your base layer), as insulating layer when stopped (where a puffy isn’t needed), under the puffy for very cold conditions

great for an additional sleep layer as well

as far as wind resistance- not a lot of help from fleece or merino- I would highly (very highly) recommend looking into a windshirt- wind protection, moisture protection and highly breathable- all for 5-8 oz; it’s bar none the most used and versatile pieces I own

Kotaman

WKR
Best of all worlds: Sitka Apex...Grid Fleece AND some merino combined. This is easily becoming my favorite piece...

Trial153

WKR
I am using merino less and less. That said were i do still like it at times is as light weight base layer. I havent had much luck doubling it up. I find when i do its not as an Effective for the weight.
I much rather use a 180ish merino with a core heavy or medium weight, or R1 over it.

FreeRange

WKR
I run similar to you, hot when moving, maybe not so cold when stopped. First I'll echo mtwarden's advice for a lightweight wind shirt, I really like my BD alpine start personally.

For the second layer I would not go with merino. Grid fleece is a great option. I used to use a patagonia R1 but for anything outside of dead of winter, while moving it was too hot for me so I went to a Patagonia Capilene 4 hoody which is just a lighter weight grid fleece. It just handles moisture better both in moving it away from you and drying out quicker which is super important on backcountry hunts.

For 5-7 oz a windshirt is going to get you the most warmth per oz of any garment. At those altitudes temperature is not the only thing that will make you cold but wind as well, neither merino or grid fleece is going to offer a bit of wind resistance. Just something else to consider.

HeadnWest

WKR
I have tried both ways and for me fleece gets the win for layer 2. Merino is awesome for next to skin but that is where its application ends for me. Synthetic provides a much better warmth to weight ratio for 2nd and 3rd layers. I hunt pretty much what you describe. I absolutely love my sitka core heavy weight hoody for layer 2. By heavy weight, they mean for a base layer. It's not some bulky piece. I have not tried any fleece (besides those with a windstop layer) that do much to cut the wind. That's what your rain jacket or puffy is for.

Agreed with everything said!