Whitetail pants

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for pants to put on when I get to my tree. Something that'll block wind, layer over my obsidian pants and be relatively quite. Quite enough to turn around a shoot without sounding like a trash bag. Rifle mostly unless it's unseasonably cold or I'm out of state.

I've switched to first lite for basically everything so I'm looking at either the uncompahgre pants or north branch. I've had the sanctuary bibs and they were too much. Awesome but overkill for me.

These won't be worn busting brush or in single digit weather. Just a good 20-45deg pant that'll resist a little wind while in a tree.

What's everyone's choice between the two?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

North Branch work great for me mid season before temps get far below freezing.

In fact, I can wear them to the stand and not sweat as they have fantastic side zips for ventilation. I usually wear the guide pants and/or Allegheny merino bottoms underneath.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
North Branch work great for me mid season before temps get far below freezing.

In fact, I can wear them to the stand and not sweat as they have fantastic side zips for ventilation. I usually wear the guide pants and/or Allegheny merino bottoms underneath.

Would you be comfortable wearing them in a stand with merino base layer, obsidian pants with it 30deg and slight breeze? Thanks

If you want to go first lite Sounds like the northbranch would work well for what you need. They are running a sweet sale on them now too.

I had them but The north branch pant didn’t work for me. It is a hybrid of sorts with some bib features. The zipper in the butt and thigh bugged me. In fairness, I didn’t give them a long run before I went back to my my underarmour pants.

I have been playing a bit with my mid season whitetail clothing and have found I am pretty comfortable with a light soft shell pant like a sitka timberline or kuiu attack when I have a base layer on and a good jacket. I have even worn a set of Sitka puffy pants under my timberlines in very cold temps. At rifle distances, the noise was not an issue. I also still have and use a shaggy cabelas Berber fleece set of pants as overpants. Basically Berber sweatpants in camo. They are a pain in the ass busting brush but once in the stand they are warm and dead quiet.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to go first lite Sounds like the northbranch would work well for what you need. They are running a sweet sale on them now too.

I had them but The north branch pant didn’t work for me. It is a hybrid of sorts with some bib features. The zipper in the butt and thigh bugged me. In fairness, I didn’t give them a long run before I went back to my my underarmour pants.

I have been playing a bit with my mid season whitetail clothing and have found I am pretty comfortable with a light soft shell pant like a sitka timberline or kuiu attack when I have a base layer on and a good jacket. I have even worn a set of Sitka puffy pants under my timberlines in very cold temps. At rifle distances, the noise was not an issue. I also still have and use a shaggy cabelas Berber fleece set of pants as overpants. Basically Berber sweatpants in camo. They are a pain in the ass busting brush but once in the stand they are warm and dead quiet.
Thanks for a heads-up on the sale. I bought a pair. I should be able to figure out if they'll work out for me when I get them.

Thanks again

I went for the New First Lite Catalyst Set for just what you described as my Sanctuary Bibs were Overkill most of the time. I never gave the north branch a chance because reviews I read talked about noise and I am Bow Hunting only. They would probably be great for Rifle.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been wearing a pair of Wall's brand bibs for over 15 years. I've recently bought a pair of Drake bibs and like them, as well. I bow hunt in them and have never had an issue with noise.

Thanks for a heads-up on the sale. I bought a pair. I should be able to figure out if they'll work out for me when I get them.

Thanks again

Cool. Perhaps a bit late if you already pulled the trigger, but I would say I like my north branch top. It isn’t the most water or wind resistant soft shell I have but I use it a lot for whitetail hunting.

The catalyst pants look cool and seem to address some of my issues with the north branch pants but I haven’t seen them in person to confirm.

Would you be comfortable wearing them in a stand with merino base layer, obsidian pants with it 30deg and slight breeze? Thanks

That's right in that zone were some will be OK and some won't honestly.

If I had to sit long in this conditions I would go Sanctuary.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
That's right in that zone were some will be OK and some won't honestly.

If I had to sit long in this conditions I would go Sanctuary.

Awesome. Thanks bud. At the price I got them for ill try them. If they don't work I'll get the bibs.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I know you said you switched to FL, but Sitka really has the whitetail system figured out in my opinion. Stratus pants would be perfect for what you described. They make them in bibs now too.

Last edited:
OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I know you said you switched to FL, but Sitka really has the whitetail system figured out in my opinion. Stratus pants would be perfect for what you described. They make them in bibs now too.
I've had the status pants and the older bibs. Honestly the only reason I got away from sitka is I like the fusion camo better and the first lite stuff fits me better. I'm a big guy. 6'2" 275. The 2xl stuff in first lite fits me like a glove.

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the status pants and the older bibs. Honestly the only reason I got away from sitka is I like the fusion camo better and the first lite stuff fits me better. I'm a big guy. 6'2" 275. The 2xl stuff in first lite fits me like a glove.

I understand and can see what you mean about the camo. Good luck with whatever you decide on!

I wear my attack pants here in Michigan from 60 which is a bit warm down to the negatives with a base layer under them. As long as I am moving I’m good but I run hot. When I’m on stand I have a pair of army surplus puffy pants that I got real cheap and they work good so far

TwoTikkas

WKR
I recently picked up a Kryptek Vellus pant for whitetail. The quality seems good. Comfortable as all get out. A little shallow in the crotch,but nothing I can't survive. Waiting for a good deal on the matching jacket.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm looking for pants to put on when I get to my tree. Something that'll block wind, layer over my obsidian pants and be relatively quite. Quite enough to turn around a shoot without sounding like a trash bag. Rifle mostly unless it's unseasonably cold or I'm out of state.

I've switched to first lite for basically everything so I'm looking at either the uncompahgre pants or north branch. I've had the sanctuary bibs and they were too much. Awesome but overkill for me.

These won't be worn busting brush or in single digit weather. Just a good 20-45deg pant that'll resist a little wind while in a tree.

What's everyone's choice between the two?

I would recommend the Sitka Stratus pant. The are a gore wind stopper and they are very quiet. I would size up one specially to fit over your FL pants. If not then look into maybe some bibs the fanatic and incinerator are going to be every warm. One will be a gore wind stopper and one will be a Gortex material.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I know you were looking at FL however I would like to throw Day One Camo I the mix. Coming from the northeast the waist lined pants on cowboy suede are the perfect cold weather sitting pant. The waist lined pant has a sort of belly name that covers your kidneys and cuts down on draft. You can customize to be insulated and or windproof lined. Cowboy suede is dead quiet as well
dayonecamouflage.com/bottoms/product/288-pants-waist-lined-cowboy-suede