Who's the toughest??

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for opinions and stories about what clothing you have worn and how you would rate it. Also feel free to chime in on what the customer service was like if you ever had to use it.

Looking to get into some new higher end clothing. Primary use would be November rut grind in the Mid-West as well as some September elk hunts. Photos of wear and tear would be awesome as well.

Some main points I am looking to gather information on are below. Let me also say I do know that quiet and durable is a tough combination to find but thats what I'm after. So let me hear what you all think.

What was the fit like? (pretty true to size/ fitted or baggy as well as comfort)

Does the pattern look as good in person as on a computer screen? (does the fabric shine)

Was it as water repellent or waterproof as it was supposed to be?

How did it hold up to briars, down timber and potential snags? (we all like the expensive things to be durable)

How quiet is it? (compared to other brands)

Could you use it in a tree stand for whitetail? (you or your buddies opinion)

Thanks all Alan.

Jon Boy

WKR
Firstlite corrugage guide pant. Lasted almost 3 seasons with me and ive worn one pair almost exclusively. Anyone who knows how I am on equipment knows That's a damn miracle haha really that's the only piece of clothing I've had last more than 2 years and still performed the same. But I'm hard on shit.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Personal experience with Midwest Whitetails, I like First Lite gear. Fit is more true to size than the Athletic cut found on Sitka or Kuiu. I have several of their items too. That said, FL I heard is moving toward the athletic cut with their new 2018 line.

You wont go wrong with FL merino base layers, start there. I like their North Branch line for mid-season. Early season I use either Knabs/Obsidian pants or their Corregulate guide pants if on the hoof. Hooded Chama and Uncompagre vest for cool early season mornings or evenings. Neck gaiter and hat all in merino or Aerowool. Late season I use Sanctuary Bibs and Woodbury jacket, both are awsome in the Treestand.

I have Sitka's Jetstream Jacket, 90% pants, and Timberline pants. Love them for windy midseason where I might hike a bit to get to a spot where i ground hunt and it gets windy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a pair of Stika mountain pants that are 8 years old. They have worn great. I also have some Kuiu attack pants that are 5 years old and still look brand new. Been very happy with both companies for durability.

KurtR

WKR
thought i would have shredded my timberlines in the dead fall last year cant even tell i have hardly wore them

ianpadron

WKR
Toughest pants I have ever worn: Eddie Bauer Guide Pro, I shit you not lol

I've worn these on nearly every single hiking/scouting trip for the past 3 years and taken some nasty tumbles, snagged them on deadfall, rubbed them on rocks, you name it...and they still have zero rubs/tears.

They breathe incredibly well and are seemingly bullet proof.

Just last week I post-holed while climbing over a tree and gouged my leg pretty bad on a broken branch. Thought for sure I tore my pants as I could feel blood running down my leg. Nope, no tear at all. Can't imagine what the damage to my leg would have been with a less durable pair of pants on.

I like my Sitka Timberlines too but just don't have enough field time with them to comment on their durability yet.

Brendan

WKR
Firstlite corrugage guide pant. Lasted almost 3 seasons with me and ive worn one pair almost exclusively. Anyone who knows how I am on equipment knows That's a damn miracle haha really that's the only piece of clothing I've had last more than 2 years and still performed the same. But I'm hard on shit.

My experience with the Corrugate has been exactly the opposite. Have seen 3 pairs fail with less than a season of use. One pair the crotch seam ripped when it was almost new. And - I'm from the east coast, so we're talking one trip out west per year.

Jon Boy

WKR
My experience with the Corrugate has been exactly the opposite. Have seen 3 pairs fail with less than a season of use. One pair the crotch seam ripped when it was almost new. And - I'm from the east coast, so we're talking one trip out west per year.
Interesting considering ill find the weak spot in equipment fairly quickly. For reference, what's your size?

Brendan

WKR
Can't remember all the exact sizes - but I'm 5'11 175 during the season. So 32/33 waist by 32 leg? One pair was my hunting partner's and he's roughly the same size.

All purchased close to when they were introduced.

TBarron

WKR
I switched to prana Zions from KUIU attacks and if they had side zips they would be perfect. The attacks pile up, snag, and pick up cactus thorns like no other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the Prana Brion’s (same as Zion) and now the Wrangler 4 way stretch pants from Walmart. Both are pretty damn good pants. The Wrangler’s have taking a beating since I got them and are probably some of the toughest outdoor pant you’re going to find. Fit is on the small side for both and sizing up made for some comfortable pants (I have meaty legs.) the Prana’s are quiter ( quite enough to trad archery hunt in) but I think the wranglers will quite up after use. Both have a great DWR coating. On top of it all neither are over $100.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
sitka timberline pants.. Ive worn these things for 3 years now for everything from big game to turkeys to shed hunting. i have two pairs and only wear the one

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider

Same experience. Three pairs of Corrugate Guide pants and all ripped in the crotch. One of the replacements from FL was actually ripped still in the bag. I took a sewing machine to the last pair they sent me and reinforced everything. No problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. I like what First Lite is doing, the camo and how they support public land but all these durability issues you guys are having isn’t a positive.

From guys that have worn clothes from various manufacturers in your opinion who’s the most durable?

LaHunter

WKR
Clothing for a whitetail hunting in November in the Midwest is VERY different than clothing for a September/October elk hunt. Light wt, quiet, and tough are difficult to combine in one item. I really like the FL Kanabs for October mule deer and elk hunting, but they are thin merino wool, so they aren't gonna be the best clothing for brush busting. Also like the Kuiu Attacks and Kuiu Guide Pants for October out west, both have their ideal weather conditions. I would not recommend Kuiu for cold whitetail stand hunting, it just is not designed for that. The cloths that are great for western active hunting will not be very good for sitting on a November whitetail stand for hours when it's 20 degrees.