cold weather puffy pants, which ones to check out?

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Have you used these? How heavy are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started a thread on the parka awhile back, there’s some good info about the pants in it also. I love my parka but wouldn’t backpack with it. I have handled the pants and would agree with what’s said here. Ecwcs level 7 parka?
Ecwcs level 7 parka?

ianpadron

WKR
I don't know of a single puffy pant that is durable enough to hike in as an outer layer. I run the KUIU kenai underneath my Sitka Timberlines in the late season and have zero complaints. They breathe significantly better than anything else on the market because there is no face fabric like you'd find on a down or primaloft pant. The 3/4 length cut is crucial in my opinion to avoid bunching up of socks, puffy pants, gaiters, and boots later in the season.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
I don't know of a single puffy pant that is durable enough to hike in as an outer layer. I run the KUIU kenai underneath my Sitka Timberlines in the late season and have zero complaints. They breathe significantly better than anything else on the market because there is no face fabric like you'd find on a down or primaloft pant. The 3/4 length cut is crucial in my opinion to avoid bunching up of socks, puffy pants, gaiters, and boots later in the season.

Good to know. I tried to down size my super down pants with no luck. Picked up timberlines and another kenai pant for late season.

Have you used these? How heavy are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just received a pair of these yesterday, and for $25, I'm super impressed. I got a size Large, and they are HUGE. A little on the short side - I'm 5'9 and wouldn't want them any shorter, but the waist is like 40+ inches on them. I ended up sending them back and ordering mediums.

They are quieter than I expected them to be, although they may be crinkly when they get cold.

My digital fish scale showed them to be right at 32oz.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The kenai works great for me, glad I scooped them off off the outlet when they were 59 bucks.

Shraggs

WKR
I also figured any puffy pant would rip if hiking and figured to wear under wool kanabs or rain gear, or sleeping if needed.

Sounds crazy but my wife found a pair from LL Bean 40 gram primaloft. I think they're marketed as a base layer. They work under easily, breath ok and for me as mentioned above they have a tight cuff at the ankle and tucks into boots. I think 10-12 oz.

The down side is you have to take boots off.